AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: wilske Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 04:45 AM
We went out fishing earlier in the week. It was alot of fun, and the guys caught two very large barracuda's(25 & 50lbs) and we caught a couple of snappers too. We asked if it was ok to eat and were told that it wasn't a problem and would taste great. Cooked the first batch up and although it wasn't my favourite fish it was good. Talked to a local chef today and was told us about Ciguatera (a disease you can get from eating the barracuda). I've been surfing since and and understand that it isn't something that is too common in this area but risk would increase with the fish size. No one is sick, but I sure wouldn't eat the fish if I knew the risks... Funny the guy taking us didn't want any, just a couple of the snappers...
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 05:39 AM
Barracuda is outstanding and safe to eat certain times of the year. Only poisonous to eat a few months of the year when they contain higher levels of ciguatera toxins. I am sure if your fisherman sent you home to eat it that this time of year is fine. If you were sick you'd likely be going to the bathroom and have muscle aches/pains tingling, sweating/chills, itching, or be naucious/dizziness.

Posted By: seashell Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 08:32 AM
A friend of mine developed paralysis and took years to recover enough to go back to work. He's still not 100%. That said, he didn't eat the barracuda in Belize; he ate it on Little Corn Island, Nicaragua.

Recently, whilst in San Pedro, I had a couple of local guides tell me that they know by the smell and/or texture, whether or not the barracuda is alright to eat.

Be that as it may, you'll not find me eating any barracuda.

Posted By: ragman Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 10:00 AM
Nor me either. It may or may not be a problem here but I know many places in the Caribbean it is and have heard some horrific stories of the result of ciguatera toxins. Especially in larger barracuda. No fish like parrotfish or such that eat the reef or fish that feed off the reef fish, thank you. I emphasize that it may not be a big problem here but it is elsewhere in the Caribbean.
Posted By: elbert Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 12:21 PM
Its my favorite fish to eat and I've been doing so for 26 years.
I really don't mind if you guys think we have ciguatera in Belize.
The crazy rumors and misinformation mean that I get more Barracuda.
Posted By: natalie p Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 01:20 PM
It's very very rare but it is wise to be cautious. It's just about any big old fish in the summer months that are risky.My 16 yr old grand nephew ate a HUGE piece of mackerel, it covered the whole plate, here in August 2009 and was in ICU at Belize Healthcare Partners on life support for a week. Another person ate a small piece of the same fish and just had mild symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea and tingling extremities.Both are now fine with no lasting effects. The smaller fish and barracuda under 5 lbs are not carriers and are safe.
Posted By: catdance62 Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 02:19 PM
HOw do you know if the fish is safe? Not to eat any fish in the summer? Surely not?! My hubby and friends caught a a couple large barracuda when we were in Belize over CHristmas and we ate them with gusto!
Posted By: elbert Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 02:20 PM
True the older the fish the more chance it has had to collect some toxins. Species isn't just barracuda.
Some bacteria, algae or dinoflagellateshas have some bi-products that over time builds up in the meat and can become a toxic poison problem for the person eating it anytime of the year.
ciguatera poison might just be a catch-all diagnosis for a group of similar organisms with toxins as bi-product that accumulate in fish meat.
Eat young fish our fish that have short life spans if your worried.. or better yet give it to me :-)
Posted By: wilske Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the info as a visitor I don't want to worry about the time of year or how many pounds the fish is... it's just off my menu! LOL
Posted By: Rykat Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 03:14 PM
JMHO!?-yuch-!...... Give it to elbert! smile
Posted By: natalie p Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 03:26 PM
I love fish and eat it regularly. Avoid fish that weigh more than 5lbs during the summer months and you will be completely safe. In my many years as a nurse in Belize I have only encountered one other patient who had this, and their case was mild and they recovered fully without any problem.
Posted By: filmmaker ben Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 03:38 PM
I would like to present the counterargument that barracuda meat is really, really, really delicious -- and that pleasure of eating it is worth the infintesimal risk of contracting a rare disease.
Posted By: natalie p Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 03:40 PM
I like barracuda too and I do eat it,but first checking to make sure it was not a big one caught in the summer.
Posted By: Judyann H. Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 04:57 PM
This is an argument that has gone on forever....I guess the living win...?? We have enjoyed lots of different reef fish; my favorites are Barracuda and Grouper. However, I have read that many of the death cases are from Grouper.....See this link, it seems to have some history and preventative information.

http://www.caribbeancompass.com/ciguafinish.html
Posted By: LoveH20 Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 08:04 PM
Ok, scared.
Posted By: natalie p Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 08:20 PM
If we really knew what was in a lot of food we'd starve to death from being too scared to eat anything. As I said , don't eat big fish and you'll have no problem , and even if you do eat big fish----chances are very,very,very slim that there would be a problem.
Posted By: Georgie Boy Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 08:42 PM
Just caught a 20 pounder yesterday and ate some without any problems. Heard about this before and summer months are problematic but I'm told by my fishing guy that you can tell by looking at the fish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera
Posted By: elbert Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 10:00 PM
Lots of folklore, superstitions and such about the thing.
Have ya heard the one about the ants not eating it if its contaminated?
Posted By: seashell Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 10:30 PM
Yes, I heard the one about the ants, from the guide that was trying to convince me eating barracuda can be completely safe.

Fugu anyone?
Posted By: seashell Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 10:31 PM
Besides that, how do you know how "big", is too big?
Posted By: natalie p Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 10:32 PM
more than 5lbs
Posted By: seashell Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 10:35 PM
How do I know how much that barracuda weighed? Last time barracuda was served when I was there, I had no way of knowing if it was a big one, little one, 5 pounds or 10 pounds. Once the fish is cut up and being cooked, how can you tell?
Posted By: natalie p Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 10:42 PM
ask the chef or if in doubt and it's in the hot summer months----think twice before eating it.
Posted By: Rykat Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 10:45 PM
think once and order the NY Strip!
Posted By: seashell Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 10:47 PM
It was early July, the chef didn't have a scale, the fish looked plenty big to me before it was chopped up. I didn't eat any. Everyone else claimed it was delicious.
Posted By: powerwagon75 Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by filmmaker ben
I would like to present the counterargument that barracuda meat is really, really, really delicious -- and that pleasure of eating it is worth the infintesimal risk of contracting a rare disease.

amen.......yummmmm
Posted By: Mike Campbell Re: Eating barracuda - 01/24/11 11:27 PM
Barracuda is very delicious either filleted or cut into steaks and I have not heard of any problems around here. In parts of the Bahamas it is a problem. There they say to just hang the fish up and if the flies wont get on it don't eat it.
Posted By: Voxman Re: Eating barracuda - 01/25/11 04:10 PM
I've eaten Cuda all times of the year. No problems. I know there is folklore and debate but I was told by a doctor and some locals that Barracuda on the Pacific side and other parts of the world have the toxins in higher levels than in the Caribbean... True? dunno... Why is not on the local restaurant menus then? I'm not sure I've seen it here much...

It is delicious when prepared well. My fav is cut in steaks, bacon wrapped around the outside and put on the BBQ with some olive oil and spices..... mmmmmmm. Thanks for tonight's dinner plan!
Posted By: elbert Re: Eating barracuda - 01/25/11 06:24 PM
It definitely is served in restaurants but not labeled as barracuda. I've noticed several occasions that i was served barracuda when ordering fish and this or fish and that.
Its a thick white flaky meat with tiny black veins.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Eating barracuda - 01/25/11 06:58 PM
Barra is delicous and eat it all the time, but do recall at rotary BBQ on Caye Caulker about 15 or so yrs ago when a 1/2 dozen or sp people got ciguatera and were sick in varying degrees, from serious to just plain sick. Hot feels cold, you can't eat fish for up to 6 mths afterwards, etc. But its rare here.
Posted By: LoveH20 Re: Eating barracuda - 01/26/11 05:43 AM
Still is scary!
Posted By: grant3wishes Re: Eating barracuda - 01/26/11 09:35 PM
My in-laws, who were all born and bred here in San Pedro, eat barra all year around except for September. They all also agree there is absoluty no way to tell infected meat from good meat, but plenty of 'wives tales' abound.

I was once also told by a marine biologist that problems are very rare in Belize as the marine enviroment here is not right for the 'problem bugs' to grow here.

Consequently, I eat Barra fairly often, big and small, except around September time.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board