AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Tour Question

Posted By: steambeaver

Tour Question - 01/27/11 11:37 PM

We will be arriving next week to AC, our first trip! I am wondering if we could take the early express water taxi to Belize, then walk from the dock to a tour guide place? Would that be quite a walk?
If this is feasable what tour shop should we look for or avoid? I would think that with the cruise ships not porting we could just do this without booking in advance and maybe get a good deal with fewer people?
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Tour Question - 01/28/11 12:26 AM

Book a tour with an operator in San Pedro. You will have a MUCH nicer day - more time spent on the good stuff, and also the boat rides will be made part of the fun instead of a time-wasting, crowded bus-ride.
Really - the island based tours to the mainland are worth EVERY penny - there is no comparison.
Have your hotel book you - they will know who is going on what day and what you can expect.
ENJOY !!!

Re: Tour Question - 01/28/11 12:52 AM

We plan on doing a fish-snorkle and bbq on the beach day with operators from SP and maybe a dinner sunset cruise, we will check with the tour guides when we get there and maybe they will have a package deal for 3 different activities. Going through a jungle river on a kayak sounds fun, can that be done on AC or do you have to go to the mainland for that? Also, is the butterfly farm on the island?
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Tour Question - 01/28/11 02:21 PM

Jungle river trip can be done as part of your visit to a Mayan Ruin (clearly not a kayak though) - the guides will show you animals and explain the plants and things - you will see several kinds of jungle - all beautiful, and will learn a lot!
You can kayak around the mangroves on AC - it's impressive.
The butterfly farms are on the mainland. Lovely as they are, I don't think looking at a butterfly cocoon rates a major detour.
Posted By: Phil

Re: Tour Question - 01/28/11 04:13 PM

There's a Butterfly Farm at the Belize Yacht Club in San Pedro.

Re: Tour Question - 01/28/11 06:35 PM

Thanks, your info on this forum has been very helpful.
Posted By: GwenA

Re: Tour Question - 01/28/11 08:53 PM

Phil? Is the butterfly thing at the Yacht Club, or just the tour operators?
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Tour Question - 01/29/11 03:28 PM

I noticed a large structure with green netting in the back behind the big wall - so I think it houses the butterflies.
Posted By: gecko_girl

Re: Tour Question - 01/29/11 05:56 PM

There is a small farm at the back of the seating area as Amanda said. There is a lady called Carmen running it who gives a short tour, showing you all the different stages they are in and the netted area houses (I think from memory) 4 breeds of butterflies. But I think she is only there in the mornings.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board