AmbergrisCaye.com Home

appropriate gift-giving

Posted By: Diane Campbell

appropriate gift-giving - 02/03/11 05:49 PM

I've seen a few well-meaning folks show up with pens or little toys or whatever to give to kids. Wonderful spirit, great heart.

I have a request ......... please don't turn our kids into beggars by walking down the street casually handing out goodies. It's really not good to teach the kids to besiege guests with pleas for pens, coins, toys. It's also not at all pleasant for guests. If you have trinkets or pencils etc - find a teacher or other responsible adult and give the stuff to them. They will make sure the children enjoy your generosity in an appropriate way.

Thanks for considering this request.

Posted By: ckocian

Re: appropriate gift-giving - 02/03/11 06:05 PM

Very, VERY good suggestion.

Think through the trinket-giving impulse. It's a feel-good act for the giver in this case. Everyone like to see a child smile. But the real good is better done through schools and other child-centric organizations.
Posted By: KaraokeJoe

Re: appropriate gift-giving - 02/03/11 06:06 PM

Wow, I wish somebody had put that message out in Afghanistan! I mean, your heart goes out to the kids, but boy does it get annoying! Plus it raises a generation of people that expect to be taken care of by others. IMHO smile
Posted By: ckocian

Re: appropriate gift-giving - 02/03/11 06:22 PM

I read a story several years ago about an incident in the Far Eastern country of Bhutan. A tourist was going to give a trinket to a child and an elder from the village said, "No, it gives children the wrong idea." I learned from that.
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: appropriate gift-giving - 02/03/11 08:16 PM

And please do not give them money! If they are hungry, get them some food....
Posted By: seashell

Re: appropriate gift-giving - 02/03/11 11:19 PM

First let me say that I agree. Secondly, and this is a number of years ago, I had brought down toys, trinkets, shoes, pens and pencils. My plan had been to distribute the toys, trinkets and shoes (which I did), and give the pens and pencils to the teachers to give out to the kids. The local that was helping me play Santa, told me not to give the pens and pencils to the teachers, because the teachers would charge the children. I was aghast. I hoped it wasn't true then, and surely hope it is not true today either.
Posted By: Be Kind Belize

Re: appropriate gift-giving - 02/04/11 12:30 AM

Be Kind Belize is always happy to ensure that 'gifts' are given in an appropriate manner. Children on the Be Kind Belize programme 'earn' their gifts with good behaviour, generosity of spirit and kindness. PM me here or email [email protected]
Posted By: seashell

Re: appropriate gift-giving - 02/04/11 01:43 AM

OK, thanks, I'm up for that!
Posted By: catdance62

Re: appropriate gift-giving - 02/04/11 02:26 PM

that is a really really good point
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board