AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Look for long term rental for fall 2011

Posted By: Jacek

Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 02/15/11 10:35 AM

Hello everybody!
This is my first post, and I'm very excited that I found this forum!!
So here is the story (will try to keep it short .. I was born.. lol just kidding),
Me and my wife and my 6 month old daughter (she did not really have much to say about it) are planning to come to the San Pedro for few months - I think 3 months up to 6 months. We both are into diving and snorkeling and looove sandy beaches and have been to carrabean few times and love weather and people. In fact I was to Caye Caulker when I was younger, 8 years ago and I remember it was just absolutelly amazing.

Anyway we are looking for some place to rent in the fall 2011 (starting september or october or november) - we are flexible about the dates, once we find and 'book' the place to stay we want to book plane tickets.
Earlier I would just come down to the island and look for place while being there, but since we have little baby - things got complicated.

We are looking for unexpensive (something around $500) one bedroom apartment/condo that must have internet access (I will have to keep working online - I know suks it but what you gonna do??). We are non-smokers and will keep the place clean, no pets (they will stay in europe).

Also I'm concerned about few other things and would like to ask more questions, but for now finding a place to stay is the first most critical point of our plan:)

I hope you can help me out with this, or just point in right direction. I realize there are probably plenty of posts like mine, so I apologize if I'm in a way 'trashing' this forum...

Ok that's all for now smile Looking forward to hear some ideas!!

Posted By: champion

Re: Planning a trip - need help finding a place - 02/15/11 08:00 PM

You wouldn't be Polish would you? I have an emploee named Jacek.

Re: Planning a trip - need help finding a place - 02/15/11 08:42 PM

Yes I'm 100% polish!! Haha don't tell me there is another Jacek on the island!!! wooow I cannot believe that!!

Re: Planning a trip - need help finding a place - 02/15/11 08:45 PM

No, he is not on the island but he too is 100%, born there and moved to the states when he was 8. Wow!

Re: Planning a trip - need help finding a place - 02/15/11 09:20 PM

sent you a PM. Look for flashing flag.
Posted By: Seachange

Re: Planning a trip - need help finding a place - 02/15/11 09:34 PM

It sounds like a wonderful trip. You might get more relevant responses if you post a message with a subject line indicating that you are seeking long-term rental for the fall of 2011. Otherwise, readers may think you are just looking for hotel recommendations. Wishing you all the best.

Re: Planning a trip - need help finding a place - 02/15/11 09:53 PM

seachange - thanks for pointing that out - you are righ, the subject was a bit missleading.. Changed it already, thanks!
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 02/15/11 10:55 PM

Fall is a few months away and it may be difficult for owners to predict what may be or become available (people do tend to come and go around here).

I am thinking you might be better served to come on down, stay in a reasonably priced hotel until you can find something. This way you would have many more options and decide what area best suits you also smile

Just a suggestion.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 02/17/11 11:13 PM

I realize that fall is so far away, but we recently decided that we are coming to San Pedro and I guess I wanted to push things forward as early as possible. I was also thinking that maybe some leases ends in certain date lets say beginning of november and then we could rent after that lease ends... I'm not quite familiar with how it works in Belize but you definitelly can do it here that early..

Aaaanyway I'm really excited and need to complete my diving PADI certificate before we come, and do lots of preparation - like finding someone to home sit my own appartment back in Poland (and taking care of my reef tank what may be quite difficult...)

I'll post something from time to time in here if you don't mind:)

For now I can greet you all from cold Poland and throw a snow ball at you!!

Cheers
Jacek
Posted By: Ana Lausen

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 02/19/11 03:01 PM

Please contact us at Ambergris Vacation Rentals,
www.ambergrisvacationrentals.com. we are a full service property management company offering long term rentals as well.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 02/24/11 10:41 AM

Hi everyone!
Could you maybe tell me where this place is located?
http://www.ambergrisvacationrentals.com/?page_id=83

I did go thru the internet and hmmm "San Pablo canal neighborhood on the water on the lagoon side" I guess I ended up looking for San Pablo and could not find where exactly it is...
I know island is small and everything is close.. but would ove to see exactly where that is.

Also is that true you can fish/hunt fishes on the island? I did not go fishing since I was a little boy but hell I would love to give it a try!!
Posted By: collyk

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 02/24/11 01:34 PM

Jacek. San Pablo is a primarily residential area south of San Pedro Town. It is a relatively large area, much of which is along the lagoon with some roads having canals running along side of them. It is to the west of the main road.

San Pedro was a fishing village and fishing is still a very important part of the culture and economy. You are more likely to be catching and not just fishing if you use a local guide/captain, though fishing from the piers can be fun and sometimes fruitful.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/05/11 11:51 AM

Hello everyone, it's me again.
Few month has passed and I started to seriously plan the trip.
First step is to find a nice place where we can stay, I look for some appartment with one bedroom and a living room, kitchen and with internet access.
We plan to come sometime around nov 1st and stay for few months (4-6). If you could point me in right direction where to look for appartment I would be really greatfull!!

Thanks
Posted By: Ana Lausen

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/05/11 09:10 PM

I have sent you a Private Message

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/11/11 06:10 PM

I have some question, I get few responds but what I really really need to have is internet access. I know what you think that this is the place where we are supposed to cut off from civilization, but well I will have to work and that is what I need internet for.

Anyway the question is - wher are the possibilities to hook up internet to an appartment that does not have it and no WiFI in range?

I heard there is a cable company - do they connect any appartment on the island?
What about internet over the cell phone? Is that possible (probably more expensive - but if nothing else works). And how much would be a internet plan for cell phone if that works?

Please provide me those informations bcz I'm a bit puzzled here and that is really important to me - I just don't get 6 months vacation, will have to work.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/12/11 01:58 AM

Jacek

Relax - We are not a 3rd world county and everyone on this message board obviously has internet. LOL

Many people here derive their income from internet work. There are three speeds available and cost appropriately.

You are asking about apartment most rentals here are condos or houses the main economy here being tourists. I may be wrong but I think most condos now are wired for internet.

You mention $500 (I am guessing you are speaking US dollars). If you find anything for that price Im fairly sure you would be expected to pay for utilities; internet, electricity (can get expensive) and water ($.10 BZ a gallon) plus bottled water for drinking ($3 or $4 BZ per 5 gallons.)

November may seem like a good time to come but it is the end of the rainy season here and the beginning of high season. So November, December and January will be the most expensive.

Good luck with your search.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/12/11 02:19 AM

Coral Cable 512Kbps costs $100US per month plus installation.
Posted By: Bear

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/12/11 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by SimonB
Coral Cable 512Kbps costs $100US per month plus installation.

I cant rememeber, isn't there a deposit required as well?
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/12/11 03:12 AM

I paid neither an installation fee nor a deposit......maybe the builder of our condo paid the installation fee.....but I did not pay a deposit.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/12/11 03:20 AM

You have to pay a deposit with BTL but not Coral Cable. For BTL the deposit depends on your status as a resident but can be very high. You can get higher speeds with BTL but you can pay as much as $200US per month.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/12/11 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by SimonB
You have to pay a deposit with BTL but not Coral Cable. For BTL the deposit depends on your status as a resident but can be very high. You can get higher speeds with BTL but you can pay as much as $200US per month.

That's right, I rememebr having to cough that deposit up for BTL, ow. I missed the fact we were talking about cable here. So the 512k is synchronous then?
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/12/11 05:19 AM

Boy..San Pedro is expensive and why is that if we are all dealing with BTL. I have high speed internet and pay $50 us a month.No Deposit through the home show. Got my motem for free, no deposit and I believe you can still do that twice a year at the Home Show in Belize City. I had to replace the motem but that was OK because I needed a router for my wifi.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/12/11 01:44 PM

The major deposit is on the phone line. It may just be a San Pedro thing due to short term residents racking up huge phone bills and them skipping out on them. When I sold my phone number with my business the cost of getting a new phone line and Internet was going to be about $500US plus the monthly fees.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/13/11 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cooper
Boy..San Pedro is expensive and why is that if we are all dealing with BTL. I have high speed internet and pay $50 us a month.No Deposit through the home show. Got my motem for free, no deposit and I believe you can still do that twice a year at the Home Show in Belize City. I had to replace the motem but that was OK because I needed a router for my wifi.

Deb are you on cable or using dsl?
Posted By: artisan

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/13/11 02:19 AM

On CC it comes in on a coax cable, with modem, they call it DSL?
Is it? Would love to know.
You don't hear the zee-zee noise like dial-up?

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/15/11 08:31 PM

Hi I did a lot of reading about BTL and the rates they charge are just crazy!! At my hause (back in europe) I pay 30USD for 25Mbps and in San Pedro 4Mbps cost like 425USD - crazy.

Anyway I did find out that BTL is apparently faster and more reliable (please confirm if that is true or not, I would be more than happy if I could use Coral Cable instead) BUT they do block VoIP including skype!! I do not make many conference calls over the skype but I do use text messaging using skype - I wonder if they do block that too??

If some of the BTL users could confirm they do/don't block skype text messaging - I would know what that is the situation - you can as well contact me on skype - my nick is rakowaty.

I was unable to find any informations on Coral cable internet, only that it is not as fast - but I wonder what are the speeds and prices, if someone could give some info, would be great!

Thank you!

Edit. I should have read the previous posts - some of my questions were answered. The only remaining is if the skype works or not in BTL or CC.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/16/11 01:28 AM

Coral Cable is effectively the same as BTL as they route through BTL. BTL blocks Skype.
Posted By: JEL

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/18/11 05:26 AM

I just recently bought a USB internet box from BTL. Deposit was $1000.00 BZ and the unit was $389.00 BZ.. It has 1-3 kbps speed depending on who else has one near you. It is unlimited internet. I have enjoyed it for the last 2 weeks since I bought it.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/20/11 12:29 PM

JEL - is it 1-3kbps or 1-3Mbps (if 1-3kbps this seems really slow...)? Is it DSL or something else?
Also why didn't you go with Coral Cable it seems cheaper...

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/20/11 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by artisan
On CC it comes in on a coax cable, with modem, they call it DSL?
Is it? Would love to know.
You don't hear the zee-zee noise like dial-up?

Artisan, DSL, digital subscriber line, is internet provided to a business or household over telephone lines. It is not dial up it is a constant signal to the subscriber. The technology employs different frequencies so that internet is carried on one frequency and voice on another. A small filter, probably a capacitor circuit, is plugged into the wall jack. It has two connection points one for internet and one for voice. A DSL modem is plugged into the internet circuit side of the filter (and your computer into the modem) and your telephone is plugged into the other. Internet is not supplied to every telephone connection only those who subscribe to DSL so dont think you can just get one of these little filters and a DSL modem and get internet. You can purchase different quality of services that increase the speed or bandwidth of data transmission. The higher the speed the more it costs you. I am not familiar with what BTL can or cant provide.

Cable uses an internet protocol known as Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification, or DOCSIS but most people obviously refer to it as simply "cable internet". Using this a cable company can supply its customers with internet, TV and even voice but instead of telephone wires used for DSL it uses a coaxial cable. Coaxial cable is that round cable you often see plugged or screwed into the back of TV's or a cable box like in a hotel room. Cable uses more or less the same approach as DSL in that it too supplies internet, cable tv and even voice over different frequencies. But it can tranmsit farther than DSL. DSL requires that you be within a certain distance of a telephone center or relay point to receive a good signal. the farther away you are from the "station" the likelyhood increase your'e going to have a signal of lesser quality than someone living closer to the source. Cable isnt like that it can reach much farther out than DSL.

So you have this cable with all these signals on it. Once a basic cable insatllation is done on the house and cerain filters are installed for the various services that the subscriber pays for, a TV uses its tuner circuits to separate out the signal it needs from the cable, a cable telephone/adaptor recognizes its own signal frequency and a cable modem for internet separates out its signal. Again your computer is plugged into the cable modem.

How the Cable Company gets its internet connection to supply its cusotmers can vary. Sometimes they buy backbone access directly or maybe they buy it from the telephone company and convert it to their own transmission frequencies for their customers. Simon indicated he thought Coral Cable purchased internet bandwidth for redistirbution from BTL.

I undersatnd that BTL puts filters on their internet signal that may block VOIP (Voice over internet protocol)like SKYPE and Coral cable does not. I am not familiar with who does what.

Like anything if the demand is high enough and there are fewer providers cost is going to be higher. If the market bears the cost the provider will charge it. To compare and complain what one can get for x amount of $$ in the States, Denmark or Timbuktu, with what one pays for similar or even slower speeds in Belize is, well a waste of bandwidth.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/20/11 03:47 PM

Bear thanks for exhausting explanation. I personally use internet over cable or I should say "Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification" and as you described on one coaxial cable I have analog/digital TV, internet, phone.

So to sum up (pls correct me if I'm wrong) there are two companies on the island:
CoralCable - any instalation fees? deposit?
- 512kbps for 100USD
any faster speeds?

BTL - 500USD deposit, 100USD instalation
- 512kbps for 90USD
- 1Mbps for 150USD
- 2Mbps for 250USD
- 4Mbps for 425USD

Does not look too encouraging

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/21/11 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jacek
Bear thanks for exhausting explanation.

ha! It was more a primer for Artisan than the tech initiated J.

I suggest you write the company directly. Better to hear it from the horses mouth and frankly I just dont know. We inherited our internet when we purchased.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/23/11 03:29 PM

Bear you are 100% right.
The only problem is that I was unable to run into any website or email from Coral Cable. If you type into google "Coral Cable San Pedro" - there is no website among the results. Quite strange for an internet related company.

Maybe they will want me to make them web side lol, after all I'm a web developer.

Bear do you have any contact to them?
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/23/11 03:40 PM

I believe that the coral cable internet service is provided to coral cable from BTL.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/23/11 04:12 PM

Amanda - that is most likely since to my knowladge BTL has the monopoly in the country. Maybe Coral Cable just manage it much better.

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/23/11 06:44 PM

Coral Cable - 226-3318

Re: Look for long term rental for fall 2011 - 08/23/11 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jacek
Bear do you have any contact to them?

I dont J, sorry. Simon gave you a phone# tho.

As I said I inherited my DSL on xfer of property; BTL takes me to the cleaners each month and that blistering 512k connx just putts along. Bout as much as I can say with any degree of certainty.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board