AmbergrisCaye.com Home
SAN PEDRO RESIDENTS DEMAND ACCOUNTABILTY

Five years after being constructed, the Boca del Rio Bridge in San Pedro has been completely paid off. J

Jorge Aldana reporting�..

"The Boca Del Rio Bridge, located on the northern part of San Pedro Town was built exactly five years ago, on February of 2006 amongst major opposition from residents on northern Ambergris Caye. The bridge was built at an estimated Belize $750,000; an interest free loan granted to the municipality by the late Sir Barry Bowen. The monies for the repayment of the loan were expected to be generated from a $10.00 toll, collected from motorist wishing to use the bridge. It is the most expensive toll in the entire county, and for the already economically challenge residents of San Mateo who live across the bridge, it has been of a lesser benefit to them. No report has been compiled as to how much money was generated over the past five years at the toll but the good news is that the bridge has been paid off. Yes, the entire loan was paid off since last year. Love News confirmed that since the last quarter of last year the loan was paid off in full. The bad news is that there is no indication if the toll price at the bridge will be lower. Back in 2006, the Mayor of San Pedro Town, Elsa Paz indicated that as soon as the bridge was paid off, the toll price would reduce. Well there has been no official word from the Town Council when and if the charge will reduce to accommodate the residents living across the bridge. As it is now, residents in the San Mateo Area, an area with no infrastructure, are not allowed to ferry material in vehicles over the bridge even though the bridge is open to public vehicular traffic. Even though the bridge was designed to accommodate golf carts, cyclists and pedestrians only, large vehicles have been allowed to ferry materials for the construction of private homes and resorts. So with the bridge already paid off what can the residents living over the bridge on northern Ambergris Caye expect? While Mayor Paz decline to comment, she indicated that already the bridge is in need of major repairs. She said that those repairs will be in the tune of over Belize $300,000. No indication as to which part of the bridge needs repair since just last year, the bridge went through major renovation that took over 8 weeks to be completed. According to the San Pedro Town Council, a detail report as to how much money has been collected during the past five years at the bridge will be compiled and ready as part of the Town Council Financial report and will be presented at a public meeting at a date yet to be announced. Again Mayor Paz declined to comment.

LOVEFM
There has been an employee turnover at the bridge. The new ones seem to take their job a little more seriously relative to security anyway.
I went over the other day returning Harriette's dog and the same woman was in the booth but when I asked her if I could get a freebie she deferred me to a new Security guy - who I have seen around for many years and has a good rep. He also let me go where the old lot would never have. Perhaps it can become legit again.
At the opening of the bridge, it was said that this bridge was not designed to withstand chronic large vehicle usage, ie: cars/trucks/taxis. It was designed to support golf carts, bicycles and foot traffic. It will always need repairs if it continues to allow heavier traffic to use it. What are they thinking, allowing taxis to cross it? Much less the big dump trucks and construction vehicles. I makes you wonder exactly who is making what decisions using ?? information!!

Boca Del Rio Bridge almost paid off

There is a constant cry by residents as well as some tourists of the rather large toll being levied at the Boca del Rio Bridge. The bridge was officially inaugurated on Saturday, February 25th, 2006, and it was met with mixed feelings. While some residents longed for the days when San Pedro was a sleepy fishing village, and resisted the inevitable wave of progress, others saw the bridge as leading the path to prosperity, paved roads and four-storey buildings.

The bridge, 120 feet long and 23 feet wide, was capable of allowing emergency vehicles' passage (when necessary), but was exclusively for the use of golf carts, bicycles and pedestrians. The reported cost of BZ$750,000, was secured through financing provided by Sir Barry Bowen (deceased). The loan was to be repaid through funds raised from toll collections.

In 2009, the bridge was closed for a period of one month while maintenance work was carried out. Now exactly five years after its inauguration, The San Pedro Sun received information that the bridge had been paid off. Our investigations into the matter revealed that while the bridge is not yet completely paid off, there is a remainder of two interest payments, scheduled for February and March of 2011.

With the loan being paid, it is expected that the toll would be drastically reduced, if not eliminated. However, our investigations revealed that that will not be the case, as presently there are repairs and maintenance works needed on the bridge to the tune of some $300,000.00.

The San Pedro Sun contacted Mayor Elsa Paz for a comment and was informed that a full report is being prepared and will be presented to the community in the form of a Public Meeting. The exact date of this meeting was not determined at the time of press. We will continue to follow this story and update you as information becomes available.

San Pedro Sun

San Pedro residents say drop bridge crossing fee

Residents of San Pedro have gone public to express their concerns over the steep fees they have to pay each time they need to cross the Boca del Rio Bridge that connects the north and south sides of the island. The fees are nothing new; they have been in place since the bridge was constructed five years ago, but the islanders are asking why the price has to remain the same if the loan for the bridge is almost completely paid. News Five's Marion Ali headed east to La Isla Bonita today and filed this report.

Marion Ali, Reporting

Following reports in San Pedro that the five-dollar toll for crossing a golf cart on the Boca del Rio Bridge would remain as is, even after the loan to build the bridge is paid, San Pedro residents have voiced objection. The islanders are questioning two things: why does the fare have to remain so high after the loan is paid and why isn't the bridge being repaired as often as it ought to, if the monies are being collected to maintain the structure.

Motorist, San Pedro

"It's very expensive you know. Just last week I was in Orange Walk and I passed the Toll Bridge; it is only seventy-five cents that we pay. So it's way, way too much. It's pretty much expensive you know. I mean, we should have like because every time we pass it's like twelve dollars we pay roundtrip. But it would be good if the money that they are charging could be used for the maintenance of the bridge because right now if you go on the other side they have a piece of plywood. So that is saying that the bridge is not being maintained."

Motorist, San Pedro

"According to what I heard that we were going to stop paying when the bill was paid noh and they haven't even-as you can see it is deteriorating and they haven't even serviced it as yet. If you pass three times it's fifteen dollars, but we buy a monthly pass which is twenty-five Belize."

Marion Ali

"That works out much cheaper."

Motorist, San Pedro

"Yes it does. It helps a lot."

But the upkeep of the bridge is something that San Pedro Deputy Mayor, Pablo Ico says is something hard to accomplish because of the effect the natural salty air has on the metal structure.

Pablo Ico, Deputy Mayor, San Pedro

"On an ongoing place where we live which is exposed to salt and corrosion, even stainless steel rusts away. So they have to realize that to carry on maintenance and repairing of the bridge, the money has to come from somewhere."

Marion Ali

"Are you saying that five dollars is the best possible fee that the Town Council can charge?"

Pablo Ico

Pablo Ico

"Well we haven't really sat that on the table yet because we didn't hear this as a complaint by any of the residents yet like how I seh. If this is brought up to the attention of the Council, of course the council will always say it and consider because we are here to work with the people not against. And we gonna also show them the list of expenses it takes and the residents will see how we can best get together and decide what fee we can decide on this bridge."

The money to pay for the loan, financed by the late Sir Barry Bowen, is derived from the same fees collected from the residents and visitors who need to cross the bridge. But the residents object to continue paying the same fee, even people who live in the San Mateo area, which is an underdeveloped section near the bridge.

Pablo Ico

"San Mateo people, everybody knows that San Mateo has the privilege that they don't pay any toll fee for that."

San Mateo Resident

"I live in San Mateo and everytime I come across I have to park my golf cart and walk cross because dehn always charge me. I spoke to Mr Ico and he says that he will look after that but so far nothing."

Marion Ali

"But five dollars each time across?"

Pablo Ico

"Well, yes that's been set. I've never heard about any complaint before. I think everybody realizes where we live on, that the cost of living is always expensive and everything that you do requires a lot of money."

Ico couldn't say offhand how much the Town Board collects per month from the toll, nor could he tell us how much renovations that are about to begin are going to cost. But he says anyone who would like to see the figures collected can do so by visiting the San Pedro Town Board. Marion Ali for News Five.

Where can I purchase the monthly pass?
walk up the steps at the town board and go to the cashiers window.
thanks for your help, we were there last Oct during the hurricane, coming back in June looking forward to the Lobster Fest
A San Pedro motorist quoted in the story above pays $25 BZ for a monthly bridge pass. Hmmm.... I pay $150 BZ for my monthly bridge pass--and I am a property owner north of the bridge. ???
Yes - I sure would like to get one of those $25 BZ bridge passes. Heck, for that price I would buy two. LOL
Someone just informed me that the $25 monthly pass is just for scooters, motorcycles and the like.
saw many many taxis on the north side just got home. I was suprised and they were driving like maniacs
It is not often that you see government give up a steady revenue stream. My understanding is that they will continue to charge the toll and use the funds to improve the streets. The residents on the north side have nothing to complain about as there has always been a charge to go north in a vehicle. The toll is here to stay.
That comment is a bit strong don't you think?
Just what is a "bit strong" about it ?
I have another stupid ?? I was told to get the pass @ the town board, where is that or what is it close to?
"That the residents North of the bridge having nothing to complain about." is what seems a bit strong to me. The toll for that bridge is in effect a tax on the people that live up North that is apparently now being used to subsidize the roads in the South, unless of course they start maintaining the road up North which I sincerely doubt.
I live up North and have mixed feelings about the taxi's etc. using the bridge but to say that the people up North have nothing to complain is to dismiss their concerns out of hand and that is a bit strong at least in my opinion.
Bridge passes can be found on Front street.Walk half way down the street(Coming from tropic)and you will see the "Baker" on left and town board across the street. go to cashier on 2nd floor.m-f 8-4(i think). Have fun!
I was told by a high up in the Council that the Bridge toll will be used to pay off a loan used to pave the Street from the round-a-bout to the Bridge - which will start in the next two months.
That comment should be in Smiles for the Day!
Isn't it strange to be just before the next election? LOL

And of course, just like everyone else, those of us up north have a lot to complain about. (again another LOL)

Actually most of the taxis are driving slower than a lot of the workers and residents.

AND then there are the crazy tourists who think it is fun to come and get stinking drunk in town and roar all the way home - though residential areas where people are sleeping. What in the name of heaven does YEAH HAW mean?
I'm toying with you.
Wonder how much money we have saved up in the kitty now smile
Yes, I'm wondering too!
I did not mean any disrespect in what I said simply that it would be naive to think that the town would remove the toll (by the way there are toll bridges and roads all over the world) ever. Since I have lived here on the island there has always been a charge to go across the cut (I don't think it has ever be increased either). Before the bridge this discussion would have been about the need for a police officer at the ferry to ensure that nobody cut the line in waiting to get across.

I don't think it is possible to make everyone happy and solutions breed problems.

Phil I heard the same thing.

What gets me about Belize, is the Govt seems like a Ponzi Scheme. Whenever you hear about a project, you find later there is some big $&@/ loan involved. Then you realize, the project has payments involved. In the meantime, you hear there is another loan that just magically has received funding to be paid off! Unfortunately there are some big $&@/ loans that are out there waving in the breeze because projects have been cancelled or financiers have disappeared. Wait and see...
I don't have a problem paying a small toll to go across the bridge. After all, the loan had to be repaid, the staff's salaries must be paid, and money must be set aside for future maintenance and repairs. However, I do have two big problems with it:

1) WHY $10 BZ round trip?! Isn't that what some locals make in a day? Someone on this board commented that some toll bridge on the mainland only costs 75 cents! They could lower it to $1 BZ each way and still make some money.

2) WHY do they only sell MONTHLY bridge passes (at $150 BZ a pop)? For those who live here, that is a reasonable option, but let's be honest... Most tourists and many property owners north of the bridge may only come for a week at a time, maybe two weeks. They are forced to buy a pass for much more time than they need. Town Council could easily print up weekly passes.

Town Council should make a few changes and the "consumers" would be much more satisfied, rather than having a bitter taste in their mouths about the bridge, and yet one more issue to complain about. Aren't elections coming up?
A punch ticket with no time limit is better yet.
Also, do the tickets they now use have numbers printed on them, if not, how do the track the money? How much goes missing?
Originally Posted by champion
A punch ticket with no time limit is better yet.

I agree! Better yet.
Although I doubt that there will be a reduction in the rates for tourists and gringos living north it is my understanding that a discount will be given to the less fortunate.

The idea of a punch ticket pass that has a discount is a good one that I think a serious member of the north island should take to the town. It would allow for persons to prepay for something like 14 trips across for the price of 10. Something like that.

Anyway let me know how that works out and also puts the cash in the town board instead of a guy working at the bridge.
How much was the ferry before the bridge was built? It has always cost to get over the river.
$5 each way if I recall (been a while). Same as now.
So little change in ten plus years...........
So little change in ten plus years...........doubt there was a ferry pass either, so better faster service and costs less for most.
As I recall the charge for the ferry was $5, but you only paid going one way, not both.
Ahhh the good old days!
If you stayed in town to late you had to swim across,
many a night with my clothes held high over my head.
Golf carts wont float, either.
I only know from 2004 forward. The pull ferry cost the same as the bridge; $5 BZ each way and $150 BZ for a monthly pass.
The difference now is the toll shuts down at 9 PM.
The pull ferry used to shut down at 8 PM but individuals would take you across for $10 BZ.
There has never been any accounting!!!
It looks like we may soon be getting some. I have seen the book where the security guard is writing down the license number of every vehicle that crosses. How that is tied into the toll collected I don't know.
Also it looks like individual tickets are being punched - which only means if you know about it to not accept a ticket that is punched. I think there is something funny in there some place?
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board