AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Drivers License?

Posted By: peterh

Drivers License? - 02/17/11 09:36 PM

My wife and I are considering retiring on Ambergris Caye and will be coming out for a two weeks to have a look around. I know that I can drive using my Canadian license and will likely get a Belize license when/if we move there. My wife doesn't drive here in Canada and therfore doesn't have a drivers license. How big a deal will it be for her to get a license to drive a golf cart? Will she have to do a written test and a road test as we do here in Canada?

Thanks.............Peter
Posted By: gecko_girl

Re: Drivers License? - 02/17/11 09:49 PM

There is a driving test, but I doubt it is anything like one in Canada!! Providing she can steer in a straight line without hitting a cyclist she will probably pass the "practical" and the written test is based on about 20 questions that they give you to "study" a week prior to taking it.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Drivers License? - 02/17/11 10:07 PM

The problem is that it takes much longer than two weeks to get a Belize Drivers License.....or at least it used to.
Posted By: GwenA

Re: Drivers License? - 02/17/11 10:28 PM

It's about a hundred questions, but anybody can pass it.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Drivers License? - 02/17/11 10:42 PM

I am pretty sure the questions are multiple choice. And there used to be a load of questions that involved one way streets in Belize city!

I believe that these days you can actually get a Belize drivers license that is limited to golf cart driving only.

If you wife has never had a license before she will need to make the application for a learners permit and then have that permit for 30 days before she qualifies to take the test. (This is how it was a few years ago when my daughter got her license.)

Re: Drivers License? - 02/17/11 11:14 PM

Yes I think if she gets a learners permit for a golf cart she will be fine. What about a boat license?

Re: Drivers License? - 02/17/11 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Loansum - Al K
The problem is that it takes much longer than two weeks to get a Belize Drivers License.....or at least it used to.

Hey no problem!....island time right?

Re: Drivers License? - 02/17/11 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by peterh
Yes I think if she gets a learners permit for a golf cart she will be fine. What about a boat license?

Will my Canadian boat license be valid or will I have to re do it?
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 02:31 AM

For a boat license you will have to write the test and do a practical, fairly easy.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 05:02 AM

Come here for two weeks and enjoy......forget about trying to get a drivers license for your wife.....wait until when & if you decide to move down......JMHO
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 05:46 AM

16 months ago I went to San Pedro, I live in Caye Caulker..with my Montana Drivers License that was almost a year expired...I took no test what so ever and in 5 minutes had my Belize License.The gal at the desk did it, I knew to bring passport pictures.. I do have residency but still took no test . Just came back from the U.S and was able to rent a car with the Shabbily done license. I am aware you can get a more modern version of a Belize license if you go to Belmopan. Guess if you have never had a license a test would be required...then it also depends if the traffic officer had lunch yet or not as well....
Posted By: beachdude

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 05:52 AM

If you are coming for 2 weeks, just use your US license, perfectly valid. I got my first BZ license 6 years ago in SP, although the test was easy, it took longer than your vacation to get them to schedule it! It was about 25 questions, they X out things like what side of Albert Street do you park on? Funny!
You don't need one until you move here permanently and don't want to go back to the US just for a license.
Posted By: BZE Me

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 07:54 PM

When I got my Belize license I was told that I did not need to take a test by the gentleman at the traffic department because I am Canadian. All I needed was a valid Canadian License and passport type photos. Sure enough I went down with the photos, paid the fee and had a license. Took about an hour!
Posted By: Phil

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 09:17 PM

To drive here as a local you have to excel at the following:

~Never ever look over your shoulder. Ever. Mirror is to check your hair.
~If somoene is parked on your side of the road meaning you have to cross into oncoming traffic so long as you get to the gap first go for it as fast as possible, much better if you stop the oncoming traffic that has right of way and allow everyone behind you to also follow.
~Wait in your Parking space to pull out into traffic until the the traffic coming behind you has to dramatically slow or better yet stop, to let you out. Don't hesitate, just pull out and never look.
~If reversing out into trafic from your property wait to ensure to stop the traffic flow in at least one direction and ideally pull out across both sides of the road. Don't hesitate, just pull out and never look.
~If at a crossroads junction and crossing the flow of traffic (ie turning left) pull out before the people opposite you and cut off their right of way. Leave it as late as possible so they are already in motion, but fast enough to get there first. Don't look at them and dont ever hesitate.
~The bigger your vehicle the bigger your right of way and you can get to your destination without ever stopping, perhaps even slowing down.

If a tourist:

~Drive exceptionally slowly in the middle of the road looking in the window of every shop - remember there are shops on both sides.
Posted By: JZB

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 09:31 PM

Too funny Phil! smile
Posted By: gecko_girl

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 10:22 PM

You forgot "when stopping for any reason there is no need to move to one side of the road. Stopping in the middle of the road and blocking the traffic behind for several minutes is fine when picking up passengers or if you need to have a chat"!!
Posted By: Barnacle

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 10:35 PM

if driving a dump truck, never EVER use the hydrolic brakes. always use the down shift, double clutch, rev motor, apply 'Jake Brake' method for all slowing or stopping. remove muffler if needed.
Posted By: elbert

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 11:02 PM

also forgot, when mixing drinks for your golf cart passengers or distributing beers from the cooler it is not required to slow or remain in the same lane.
Posted By: Hon

Re: Drivers License? - 02/18/11 11:53 PM

When informed that you are going the wrong way on a one way street, say 'I'm only going down a ways', shrug your shoulders, smile drunkenly and hold your beer up in a toast to your innocence.

Re: Drivers License? - 02/19/11 02:22 AM

Ha! ha! ha! you guy's are a scream..........sounds like most islands smile
Posted By: seashell

Re: Drivers License? - 02/19/11 03:03 AM

Hey, Hon, how about replying "That's OK, I'm only going *one* way". wink
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board