AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Coffee

Posted By: colomojo

Coffee - 04/15/11 03:12 AM

Hi all, I am just wondering if Caye Coffee is still around? The first few times we were on the island it was easily accessible and reasonable. The last time we were there it was not so much. Is coffee something we should bring with us? We are going to be there for an extended period of time this next trip. Coffee is something I can't go without. Thanks
Posted By: GwenA

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 11:19 AM

Hint, hint! Bring your coffee. We bring it back with us whenever we are out of Belize. We keep it in the freezer. There is also good coffee at Premium Wines near Fidos, but I like a certain kind.
Posted By: jeffb

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 01:20 PM

Go to Ambergris Brewing Co across from Wet Willys Pier. We have a nice selection of imported coffees and roast the beans on site
Posted By: fordshouse

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 02:01 PM

One of the first stops we make is getting coffee so we have fresh brewed in the morning. We drink Caye Coffee but after reading about Ambergris Brewing Company, here on the blog site, we made them our morning destination walk for a large cup of their brew. We brought some of both types home and they are our Saturday and Sunday morning beverages. Next year we are bringing our coffee grinder with us so we can grind fresh every day. Love good coffee!
Posted By: Hon

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by jeffb
Go to Ambergris Brewing Co across from Wet Willys Pier.

I'm looking at this thinking that Blue Tang is across from Wet Willies. Where are you in relation to Blue Tang?

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 02:39 PM

I need coffee before I go on a morning destination walkabout to get coffee - We are staying pretty far south for that to be an easy morning walk, I may pick up some fresh ground coffee, how are the prices at ABC?

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 02:56 PM

Always had my sunrise coffee, then go for the walk. We stayed at Coral Bay Villas and it was a nice walk. We watched as all the activity for the day was starting and kids on their way to school. Prices are a little less than CC ( if i remember correctly) And they have great baked goods too so well worth the walk.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 03:28 PM

I was there the end of march , caye coffee was there brewing some coffee to my surprise.I was next door buying meat at the sausage factory I smelled fresh coffee when I pulled up ..I knocked on the door ..he opened the door and
he sold me some .he says he is now selling his coffee at sari's kitchen in front of excotic caye hotel arcross from road kill bar .Now that was then, things do change fast here .
Posted By: elbert

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 03:33 PM

I'm a big coffee nut and lately I've been getting the new blends from Sail Away Cafe they call it New River.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sail-Away-Cafe/156179764427272
Posted By: hazzyy

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 03:34 PM

The Cigar shop on Middle Street has good coffee. They roast it here in Boca Del Rio. One of my favs.
Posted By: JeanH

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 03:43 PM

Ambergris Brewing Company is just north of Blue Tang. At one time, Captain Sharks had a store there.
Posted By: Phil

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 04:10 PM

Premium Wines and Spirits next to Fido's on Front St has great Coffee and a grinder to get a fresh grind to your taste. I like strong coffee from an Italian Espresso and this is the best I have found. No need to bring coffee as there seem like lots of options!!!!
Posted By: Cayemen

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 04:22 PM

Try Sail Away Cafe, it tastes delicious and they also sell it in bags. My favorite is there espresso.
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 04:31 PM

I believe Sail Away is now roasting the beans themselves and the location is smack dab in the center of town / activity. Love Jen and her staff!!!!

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 04:34 PM

Sounds like next time we come down we have a few more places to try. Who knew there was this variety of coffee.. figured more varieties of beer smile
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 06:14 PM

Saul at the Rum, Cigar and Coffee House on Middle Street roasts his own coffee too. He has a little bistro type set-up inside and now has an espresso maker and little cups.
I buy his bag of beans and grind them myself each morning. His tourist rate is $30 BZ for a pound of beans.

For those of you who know what an Alano Club is (and if you don't - don't ask! LOL) he has created that atmosphere and many of us drop in throughout the day.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 07:15 PM

Island Supermarket has a wide variety of Starbucks flavours, Caye Coffee, Gallon Jug from Belize, several Guatemala coffees....lots of choices!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Coffee - 04/15/11 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Phil
Premium Wines and Spirits next to Fido's on Front St has great Coffee and a grinder to get a fresh grind to your taste. I like strong coffee from an Italian Espresso and this is the best I have found. No need to bring coffee as there seem like lots of options!!!!

I bought some coffee from Premium Wines when we were there in March and it was excellent......and it cost less than coffee here in the US.

Re: Coffee - 04/16/11 02:49 AM

Hint hint. All coffee tastes better if finely ground. When I MUST buy ground coffee (such as needed decaf last week) I put it in the grinder and give it another go-round. "Think espresso" mush when the coffee is finished dripping. Your coffee will go farther and taste stronger without going bitter.

Re: Coffee - 04/16/11 03:26 AM

OH HARRIETTE! Great Advice - that's how I like my coffee and did not know about the finer grind the stronger the flavor!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Coffee - 04/16/11 03:38 AM

Well, it depends in part on how you make it. You should match the grind to the way the coffee is made, and in particular how long the coffee grounds are exposed to the water.

If you are using a French press (many coffee gourmets prefer it) you need a coarser grind or otherwise too much coffee comes through the wire filter.

The key for me is how fresh the beans are. Fortunately my brother is a specialty coffee roaster and lives nearby so I usually get beans the day they are roasted.

The quality of the beans of course is also key. My fave coffee is the fruity, aromatic Ethiopian Harrar, but I also love some of the Guatemalan export-quality coffees.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Coffee - 04/16/11 03:57 AM

Jamaican Blue Mountain gets my all-time fav vote. Hard to find, since 80% ends up in Japan, but ohhhhhhhhhhhh so worth the price!
Posted By: tacogirl

Re: Coffee - 04/16/11 03:17 PM

Saul at the Rum, Cigar and Coffee House on Middle Street gets my vote too - always a pleasure to drop by. Their Campasino is a great addition to coffee.

Re: Coffee - 04/16/11 05:37 PM

When you buy 'ground' coffee you are getting a very course grind. This of course takes more coffee for stronger coffee - (get it) therefore you have to buy more.

Another hint - save your used coffee grounds in a container and when full sprinkled them on the ground around any plant that looks like it might need iron (too much yellow - not enough green in the leaves.) This will change the ph of the soil and here the builders are so careless with their mixing and disposing of cement that we get a very alkaline soil.

This was recommended to me when a visitor noticed how bad my lime tree looked. Now, in two months time, with a feeding about once a week, my lime tree is greening up and looks like it might even bloom.

As a kid I remember how my dad used to spread the coffee grounds on the lawn then we would use flash lights at night to catch night crawlers for fishing.

BTW – thanks guys – it’s so nice to read about drinking something other than poison (oops – I mean alcohol.)
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board