AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Shedding light on North AC's streets - 04/21/11 02:50 PM
The Boca del Rio Bridge was officially opened in February of 2006, connecting North Ambergris Caye to San Pedro Town. This new connection served to provide easier access and further development of northern Ambergris Caye, thus resulting in increased traffic in this once sleepy area.

There have been claims between residents and frequent travelers of the area of robberies and muggings that seem to be on the increase and many have gone unreported. This, many claim is partially to blame on the very poor lighting in many sections of the road between the Bridge and Las Terrazas Resort.

Driving across the bridge at night time, one notices lighting in front of the Reef Village compound. After this point, the streets are dark until you reach Legend's Burger House where there is a huge illuminating bulb that spotlights a new development underway next door. From there, the available lighting is limited with several stretches laying in total darkness.

A letter of concern was penned by Chris Allnatt, a North Ambergris Caye resident, and sent to the San Pedro Town Council. Belize Electricity Limited (BEL) was also contacted. Mr. Rodolfo Gutierrez, Business Development/Customer Support Supervisor for BEL issued a response. The response stated that this matter may be dealt with in two ways as follows: "If GOB is to subsidize and approve the recurrent costs of these fixtures, then BEL automatically installs fixtures free of cost if these are installed on existing infrastructure. If lights are required on areas without any infrastructure then relevant estimates will be generated and quotations must be paid by GOB before any fixtures are installed at these locations." The second option outlined states, "If GOB decides not to approve such installations, BEL can go ahead and install fixtures free of cost and with similar conditions if lights are required in areas without poles. Whichever party that assumes the responsibility of payment would be billed on a monthly basis. Belize Electricity Limited would assume the responsible for the maintenance of the fixtures and the replacements in the event they become damaged."

Veering more towards option two; the free supply and installation of lights by BEL, followed by private contributions for running each light; it would cost residents or the party which assumes the responsibilities of paying the electricity bills an approximate $44 per month for each light. The cost for the approximate 140 lights, the amount of lights that it would take to illuminate from the Bridge to Las Terrazas would be about $75,000 per year. The goal would be to have private individuals and resorts, developments, restaurants and other stakeholders pay for the first year of energizing the new lights and then have the Government of Belize take over thereafter.

Area Rep. Mr. Manuel Heredia has pledged to work with BEL and the Government to assist in this project for the residents of North Ambergris Caye as well as our visitors as he agrees this is much needed. Chris Allnatt has pledged $2,000 towards the project cost. Individuals interested in learning more about this project can contact Mr. Allnat at: [email protected].

San Pedro Sun

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Shedding light on North AC's streets - 04/21/11 04:38 PM
I have noticed Mr. Chris Alnatt passing by on the road recently. Hi Chris. When did you move up here? I like Chris; he's a decent bloke - for a Brit. LOL However, he is also a realtor - Pelican Real Estate.

Those of us who bought into the NOB (this is for you my friend Elbert - North of the Bridge) wanted the pollution free living that was here. That included noise pollution (traffic) and light pollution. We liked looking at our starry skies and the orange glow that emanated from the south (around town core.)

Hey - but what do we know - we are only cave wo/men!

Now we have the dang gone bridge, with a steady stream of vehicles who want PROTECTION as they travel in the dark. AND they want someone else to pay for it - namely those of us who don't want it.

I, and my neighbors, have all installed decent low level lighting around our properties so that we can see what our dogs are barking at while still enjoying the beautiful night sky.

There are even realtors who have pushed through opening easements for their selfish benefits - just might help sell that lot they bought for a song and are now peddling at a high price.

YES - someone is sure to tell me I can't stop progress -but I ask what is progress and what is regress?

Remember the song "They paved over paradise and made it a parking lot?"
Posted By: champion Re: Shedding light on North AC's streets - 04/21/11 04:43 PM
Make it like a gated comunity. Install a communications device that rings your buzzer and you open the entry gate so your friends can come in and visit you. Yikes!
Check out the Dark Sky Society.
There is a decent and sensible balance between safety and light pollution.
If community lighting is well planned you don't have to fall over things in the dark and can still see the beauty of the stars.

Posted By: SP Daily Re: Shedding light on North AC's streets - 04/21/11 04:56 PM
The Big Island of Hawaii has a collection of observatories atop 13,500' high Mauna Kea. They need dark skies at night so the street lighting was especially selected with shields to prevent light from shining upward. This worked well enough to satisfy the astronomers. Perhaps something like that could be used here.
Thanks Jesse - Dark Sky Society has a good resource guide for municipal lighting codes, lights etc.

Check it out.

:-)

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board