AmbergrisCaye.com Home

When is the next Lionfish Tournament?

Posted By: elbert

When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/01/11 10:38 PM

The Lionfish Tournament was a major success and such a positive energy for the whole island.
I'm hoping the organizers see fit to do it again soon. They did tons for getting them on the menus around town and raised awareness substantially.
And hurray for the FOOLS (Fraternal Order of Lionfish Slayers).
A unique little handy kill stick was developed and collection bag , it was just good,good and good.
Posted By: jweber

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/01/11 10:41 PM

i am hoping for one mid may i missed the first two,do not want to miss the third

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/01/11 10:46 PM

Someone has developed an cute and effective little spear for them . I think Captain Sharks sells them.

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/01/11 10:54 PM

Click for facebook page for Fools-Fraternal-Order-Of-Lionfish-Slayers/

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/01/11 11:46 PM

Do you know what the price is ?
also can you use this on lionfish while under scuba or just free diving
Do you need a licsense?

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 01:24 AM

Jweber, Did you mean what the prize is?
I think there where a lot of prizes.
I think you don't need a licenses to shoot them but I'm not the expert on the rules.
spearing while scuba ban is lifted for lionfish as far as i know.

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 01:33 AM

no i was wondering what the spear gun was worth

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 02:00 AM

I saw it for 75.usd on the FOOLS page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fools...2.101557233257490&type=1&theater http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fools-Fraternal-Order-Of-Lionfish-Slayers/101557233257490#!/photo.php?fbid=117450205001526&set=a.104213492991864.9102.101557233257490&type=1&theater
Posted By: Rykat

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 03:04 AM

Wish they'd have an open season on cormorants around here - most destructive animal alive......protected....good God!

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 04:17 AM

that looks like a varation of a hawaian sling,ill have to see if capt sharks have them in stock
im assuming by the numbers caught in both outings hardly a dent has been made in the population
were they caught inside the reef or outside?

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 12:11 PM

Both I think. I'll visit Captain Sharks Today and also drop in the Wahoo Lounge to see about the date of the next tournament.
Posted By: ecodiver

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 02:24 PM

it is my understanding that the next Lionfish tournament is going to be held on the final day of the Kayak race
if anyone wants a "stick" We have them on the island they are 75.00 use and they come with 2 tips 4" Trident, and a 8" paralyser
you can contact steve at 610 4552

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 03:02 PM

Who's 'We' ecodiver? Where do we go to buy them?
Posted By: Dawghed

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 03:07 PM

And... when is the kayak race?
Posted By: Dawghed

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 03:13 PM

nm..."7th Annual Lagoon Reef Eco-Challenge that has been set for May 14 & 15, 2011."
http://www.ambergristoday.com/conte...agoon-reef-eco-challenge-dates-announced
Posted By: ecodiver

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 05:12 PM

"WE" fools
Posted By: hansen

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 05:56 PM

I caught one fishing for red snapper the other day. 300 feet deep on a piece of sardine.. These guys are everywhere...
Posted By: MathieusDeli

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by elbert
They did tons for getting them on the menus around town and raised awareness substantially.

Mathieu's Delicatessen is all but giving up on trying to get Lionfish on our menu regularly. I understand the cost of going out and spending a day not earning by leading dives, but unless there is a supply to the restaurants of fresh lionfish, speared for the purpose of selling the fish for consumption I can't see how we can actually create demand for it. I'm at a loss as to how to explain to visitors and customers why it is that whilst Belize is "on a mission" to eradicate this species, there are no sellers of it. At the last lionfish tournament we purchased 2lbs, served it on our menu, have customers coming back for it, but now have nobody selling it to us. What happens after the "stockpile" frozen up for Lobsterfest has gone? Will the FOOLS still be out there once they've got their gas cash back?

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/02/11 06:38 PM

Good point , the local fisherman need to value it. Not just the contestants but the regular guys supplying fish to San Pedro.

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/04/11 11:34 PM

Hol Chan Marine Reserve on Sunday May 15th is the Lionfish competition and also a Lionfish cook off competition, every one is invited to participate in this event.. for more information on how to enter either competition just check at the Hol Chan office or give us a call at 226-2247
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1046494098
LIONFISH ROUND UP AND COOK OFF COMPETITION, will be at the central park in San Pedro Town, THE OPEN DAY will be at the Hol Chan office all day, MOVIE NIGHT will also be at the Hol Chan office at 7pm, TRIVIA COMPETITION between schools will be at the Lion's Den at 9 am, WORKSHOP FOR MARINE PROFESSIONALS will be at the Lion's Den at 6pm, MARINE SCIENCE PROJECT COMPETITION for students will be at the central park in San Pedro Town starting at 9am

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/06/11 11:39 PM

ecodiver
i must have missed where i can pick up one of the spear "sticks"
are they avail at captain sharks

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/07/11 11:56 AM

I went by Captain Sharks yesterday and they are out!
Posted By: MathieusDeli

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/11/11 03:22 PM

Lionfish tournament is on Sunday 15th in Central park. There's a Lionfish cookoff too, judging at 3.30pm!
Posted By: Noele McLain

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/11/11 05:39 PM

We will have one soon. Keep your eyes peeled for the dates. We will try to nail it down this week.

Hol Can is running a lionfish COOK OFF this week in the park as a part of reef week for the end of the kayak race.
Posted By: future-expat

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/12/11 07:23 AM

Any chance you spear these fish while snorkeling, or do they hang out too deep?

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/12/11 01:37 PM

They are shallow and deep , yes we spear the heck out of them snorkeling. we even have a specially designed spear just for lion fish
Posted By: future-expat

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/12/11 03:19 PM

Fantastic news! do I just come to Central Park to find a "team" or register? Or should I ask around at the dive shops to see who is going out?
Posted By: Noele McLain

Re: When is the next Lionfish Tournament? - 05/12/11 07:41 PM

OK GUYS - Next tournament after sunday is in July...I'll keep you posted and updated and all that all along.
Remember you can "hand in heads anytime" and we will be doing a rolling count - whoever had the most over the two months between events WINS A PRIZE as well as that warm and fuzzy feeling you get from helping out the reef!
Happy Hunting from Wahoo's!!!
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board