AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget

Posted By: Marty

Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/19/11 03:18 PM

[Linked Image]

Whitey is a friendly and playful young dog, so little did he know when two big, strong muscular dogs approached him one day that they didn’t want to play. They attacked Whitey viciously, leaving him with deep puncture wounds to his face and his throat ripped open. When the two big dogs finished with him, they left him in the street to die.

[Linked Image]

Luckily for Whitey, some wonderful people found him barely clinging on to life in the gutter. They rushed him to SAGA, where the staff were shocked to see the horrific wounds and terrible trauma caused to this poor sweet dog. Whitey’s trusting but frightened eyes made the SAGA team even more determined to save him.

Whitey was given love, healthy food, a great deal of veterinary care and a new lease on life by the fantastic SAGA staff. SAGA pays for all of the medical care and treatment for dogs like Whitey and can’t do that without the generous help of the public.

Whitey not only survived but now he is ‘fighting fit’. You’d think that Whitey would want to get back at the bullies who nearly killed him but Whitey is a lover and not a fighter. He loves other dogs and cats and his idea of a great day out is a romp on the beach. He’s a happy and loyal dog thought to be a Labrador mix of some sort, about 2 years old and looking for a home where he can live happily ever after.

Come and see Whitey and his friends at SAGA Humane Society. They say a house is not a home without a good dog and a dog with such a big heart will fill your home with joy and love. Whitey may have forgiven his attackers, but only a loving and permanent home will help him to forget that he was abandoned to die in the most horrible way.

If you see a dog that is injured or suffering call SAGA on 226 2366 and they will be there to help.
Posted By: babsaunt

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 02:52 AM

God Bless the people of Saga and the work they do there. Will be visiting you soon.
Posted By: natalie p

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 03:23 AM

I cannot say enough about the good work SAGA does, my 14 year old blind dog was attacked by a pack of 5 dogs in front of their owner who was unable to stop them--Ingrid, Dr Orlando and the rest of the staff have cared for her as though she was a precious child and they have pulled her thru.I have the most ultimate respect and gratitude for the work they are doing.She is still in their care, and Ingrid is tending to her thru out the night. Bless you Ingrid for the love you have for them.

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 04:41 PM

My dog Olivia passed away early this morning from the wounds inflicted on her. Ingrid was with her .
Posted By: ckocian

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 04:47 PM

So sorry for your loss of your precious pet. From the care she was given, she knew she was loved during her life.
Posted By: lil'red

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 04:48 PM

Natalie I really feel so sad for you. I am so sad to read about this.
Posted By: Maya House

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 05:02 PM

Natalie - We're so devastated to read about the loss of your precious Olivia.
Posted By: Jon The Baptist

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 05:19 PM

I am sorry to hear about your loss. No dog should have their life taken away from them at the paws of another dog.

That is what I am afraid of when I bring my dogs to San Pedro this summer.
Posted By: collyk

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 05:21 PM

Heartbreaking.
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 05:40 PM

So sorry to hear that Natalie.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 06:06 PM

I know how you feel and my heart goes out to you.
Posted By: babsaunt

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/20/11 06:26 PM

So sorry for your loss. At least she is out of pain now and romping through the hills and vales of Heaven.
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/21/11 01:57 AM

Oh Natalie, This is heartbreaking....If you are up to it can you share the circumstances?

I walk my dog on the beach daily when on the island. She is on a leash however due to her size she would never be able to defend herself against one medium dog, no less a pack....Is there something we can do?

Only if you feel like it.....
Posted By: catdance62

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/21/11 03:28 AM

So sorry, Natalie, to hear about your poor doggie. Sad frown
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/21/11 04:09 AM

So sorry to hear that you lost her Natalie.

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/21/11 07:24 PM

did not expect her to die like this
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/21/11 07:27 PM

Natalie,

my heart is breaking and I am so sorry to read your news. I can't imagine loosing my best friend and know this is a difficult time. I know your friend filled your life with an enormous amount of joy and love. I wish you strength, warm thoughts, and smiles as you reflect back at your memories.

Keli

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/21/11 07:31 PM

thank
you Keli My heart is broken
Posted By: swanno

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/21/11 07:38 PM

So sorry to hear about your loss Natalie, our thoughts are with you

Colin and Marianne
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/22/11 01:40 AM

Natalie, I have had a very upsetting and sad day with mine today and this morning we thought that it might be time. When it was suggested that it might be the overwhelming and uncontrollable feeling that went through me this morning was unbearable, I have never felt pain like this before and I don't ever want to feel that pain again. She is still here, and doing okay right now. We are sitting together on the porch and I am trying to keep happy and not show weakness and sadness, it is so difficult. I am thinking of you, tears running down my eyes, and want to reach out and hug you.

Posted By: sunandsand

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 05/24/11 02:56 PM

Natalie, my heart so breaks for you. What can we do to protect the trusting? This attack could well have been a human child instead of a furbabie. Both are horrific thoughts. How can someone take a dangerous dog out without having full control of that dog? Perhaps mandatory muzzles for dogs with a history of biting? Or, not allowing them out at all? Typically it is the fault of the owner, not teaching, not controlling, not caring. I am so sad that this is happening.
Posted By: dschick

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/01/15 05:19 PM

I am about to move to san Pedro with three tiny dogs. Is this still something that I need to be concerned about when walking my dogs?
Posted By: maruke

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/01/15 11:52 PM

Yes, I am sorry to say, you do need to be very aware. I do not let my little guy off leash AT ALL anymore due to attacks by packs. It is all so unpredictable and happens so very fast.

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/02/15 04:36 AM

If your dogs are very small you might consider acquiring something like a stroller that is closed up with mesh fabric and in which they could safely be pulled or pushed along outside. Otherwise, a sturdy enclosure of some sort for the dogs to be penned in while they are outside. And always use a leash in transferring from inside to wherever.

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/02/15 02:06 PM

I have to say this scares me a little bit. I was under the impression that Saga's work was limiting the number of strays. I'm assuming that these are strays and not someone's dogs allowed to roam?
Posted By: Inplub

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/02/15 02:09 PM

Consider not bringing them in the first place.

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/02/15 02:44 PM

Wow!
Posted By: ragman

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/02/15 05:03 PM

Many people on the Island have small dogs and I see them walk by on the beach every day. Usually only one though.

Having said that, there are many people here who own dogs and do not keep them under control. To compound the matter many of these dogs are pit bull or have pit bull in them and can be menacing. I have a medium size dog who weighs about 55#. He has been attached several times even while traveling in my vehicle. I mean with the vehicle in motion. My dog has never been hurt until recently and that seems to be healing just fine. A friend of mind has had similar experiences and he has the same size and breed dog as I. He now carries a stick anytime he is walking his dog.

A lot will depend on just where you live but in any case you will not be able to let your dogs outside on their own safely unless you have a secure yard. With caution you should be alright but 3 small dogs is a lot to keep a close watch on and it happens quickly.

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/02/15 05:23 PM

SAGA has no authoritative control over the dogs on the island. It is trying hard to teach responsibility to people who have dogs but there are beliefs that stem from longstanding habits about letting dogs roam even though they may have a home. I can think of a couple of types of small dogs that don't know they are small and if a fight is started those "toy" dogs will go for the throat of a larger dog in the blink of an eye, as opposed to running away. The main thing is you must be responsible for your dogs' safety in any case.
Posted By: Bing Crosby

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/02/15 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Inplub
Consider not bringing them in the first place.

I said something similar in nature and you would have sworn I spit in your oatmeal I agree, AC really doesn't need anymore dogs. There are plenty there that need homes. Who takes the blame if something tragic happens to one of your dogs.

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/03/15 01:09 PM

I was not asking your opinion again as to whether to bring my dogs with me. I was trying to find out if this dog attack was a thing of the past. I no longer need your input on any post that I make, Bing.
Posted By: ragman

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/03/15 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by dschick
I was not asking your opinion again as to whether to bring my dogs with me. I was trying to find out if this dog attack was a thing of the past. I no longer need your input on any post that I make, Bing.

I think I like you. wink
Posted By: azbob

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/03/15 07:07 PM

I know I do!!!!!
Posted By: champion

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/03/15 07:32 PM

I second that emotion!!

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/03/15 07:48 PM

ragman, azbob, champion: Well the three Stooges have spoken it must be true.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/03/15 08:22 PM

I'll add my two cents ..... In my neighborhood it's fine to walk your dogs almost everywhere. Suggest you take an experimental walk on your own in the area you intend to stroll. In town you could ask Cathy at Pampered Paws, as she has a dog-walker that takes 6 at a time out for walks. Conditions change though and one or two bad owners can ruin it for everybody. We had a very bad dog-neighbor for a while and nobody could walk by safely. He moved along and the beach is safe and lovely again.
Posted By: champion

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/03/15 08:22 PM

More akin to Athos, Porthos and Aramis.

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/03/15 10:00 PM

Thank you for your helpful feedback. I've been to SP many times now and have never experienced anything like this. Since my dogs are so important to me, I'm just trying to be prepared for the move in a way that lets me keep them safe.

Re: Whitey Feels Mighty – Even Dogs Forgive and Forget - 03/04/15 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by dschick
Thank you for your helpful feedback. I've been to SP many times now and have never experienced anything like this. Since my dogs are so important to me, I'm just trying to be prepared for the move in a way that lets me keep them safe.

No problem, glad I could help.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board