AmbergrisCaye.com Home

the top musts while here....

Posted By: lisanuevayork

the top musts while here.... - 05/21/11 05:02 AM

Saludos de New York City.

We are so lucky to be coming to Belize with our familes-eight of us in total. I was here twenty years ago for work and now it is vacation time. We will be staying in Ambergris Caye for ten days. Want to show our kids rainforest, las ruinas, and anything else that will make them fall in love with this beautiful country.
Thanks for any ideas.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/21/11 01:22 PM

Ambergris Caye - Under the water:
Hol Chan
Shark Ray Alley
Mexico Rocks

Ambergris Caye /On the island:
Marco Gonzalez ruins

On the mainland
Lamanai - a day tour that leaves SP by boat and takes you to the ruins via a jungle river that is alive with amazing plants and animals - you will see rainforest, monkeys, tropical birds, orchids and one of the most naturally spectacular ruins in the area.

Easy day-trip - take the water taxi over to Caye Caulker, wander around, have lunch and come back mid-afternoon.

For the kids - if you need more to do - cave-tubing/zoo

Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/21/11 04:45 PM

Rent bicycles and spend a day riding north of the bridge. Stop at various resorts - enjoy water melon juice, lime ade, fresh coconut water and fresh squeezed orange juice. In addition to the many restaurants savor some foods from the street vendors.
Talk to as many locals (of all colors) as you can.
Posted By: Bing Crosby

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/21/11 05:31 PM

Don't forget to visit the new amusement park going in next to McDonalds.

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/21/11 07:06 PM

Agree with Harriette on the bike-ride north. There is some excellent snorkeling to be done under the pier at Rojo Lounge if you get that far up the beach - it's definitely worth it.
Lots of nice places to stop for a drink or lunch.
Posted By: reaper

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/21/11 08:17 PM

Lazy Croc BBQ is a must and the Palapa Bar for a refreshing drink is great on the trip across the bridge.

The kids will like the "chicken drop" in front of Wahoo's.

Go to Lamanai with Tanisha Tours.

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/21/11 09:46 PM

Ditto Reaper's comments - but please note that Lazy Croc is only open Friday-Saturday-Sunday from 11-5. I get the idea that if you go on Fridays there are more desserts to choose from than by Sunday ......

Oh yes ..... you might want to try Aji too. Right by Lazy Croc, but on the seaside. Charming - a romantic dinner spot, or an excellent stop for a beverage on a hot day.
Posted By: Noele McLain

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/21/11 10:02 PM

Wahoo's Lounge WORLD FAMOUS CHICKEN DROP!
Posted By: elbert

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/21/11 11:24 PM

I would agree with the chicken drop,... excuse me 'The World Famous Chicken Drop' definitely the cultural highlight of a visit to San Pedro.
Posted By: CarlosCabanas

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/22/11 01:13 AM

If you are diver's I would say diving is a must do! If you are not divers I would still say diving is a must do. Take a Discover Scuba Diving course.

Cheers,
Carlos

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/22/11 04:08 AM

Thank you everybody-these all sound great.

When I was in Belize twenty years ago on a job, we stopped in the Cayes and without knowing the first thing about diving, I was allowed to try on a tank in a pool and then went out with a bunch of people and dove the reef. Incredibly stupid of me (and the outfit that let me do it) but a fabulous experience! Now I am just a snorkler but am sure I will not be disappointed.

We are definitely into experiencing the culture and local food so again, gracias for all these great tips.

Posted By: galsmiley

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/22/11 07:14 PM

Lazy Croc BBQ
Mannelly Coconut Ice Cream
Fishing off the docks, get supplies at Captain Sharks
There's a bakery on Pescadore, on a corner, I forget the name (anyone?) and they make amazing cinnamon bread, great for french toast!
Maria's Roadside stand for pineapples and mangoes

Have a wonderful trip!
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/22/11 08:14 PM

Talk to as many children as you can and pet the dogs. All great photo ops.
Posted By: mawags

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/23/11 10:00 PM

FYI: Lazy Croc only takes CASH.
Posted By: Sugarbear

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/24/11 02:29 AM

Hi everyone,

My wife and I and our kids will be coming down to AC again on June 11 and we will be staying for three weeks this time. I am looking for a guide to take myself and my 13 year old daughter on an ATM tour. I read the board all the time and there is a lot of good advise posted here so if anyone can suggest a guide let me know. Also what would I need to bring on this tour ?

Thanks
Posted By: Maya House

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/24/11 05:45 AM

* Live music night at Legend's is always a good time.
* See if Elbert still gives his guided trips.
* Take a yoga class over the water at Ak'Bol designed for any and every one. (And breakfast at Ak'Bol is also the best!)
* Rent some kayaks and go out to the reef and the lagoon!
* RENT THE RUM PUNCH II WITH GEORGE EILEY FOR THE BEST DAY YOU'LL HAVE ON THE WATER/ISLAND!!! SERIOUSLY!! Can't rate this highly enough!
* Have breakfast at the Cuban restaurant.
* Feed the Tarpon and watch the sun set at the Sunset Grill.
* Go check out the guys on the lagoon when they bring the fish in.
* If school's are still in session, bring some needed supplies and go meet the kids and give the goods to the teachers to distribute.
* Have fried chicken at Cindy's. The BEST!
* Buy fresh tortilla's behind the 7-11.
* Buy papusa's from the lady's on middle street.
* Go talk to Amanda about real estate.
* Buy pastries at the place next door to Ruby's on front street.
* Buy the coldest $3.00 beer at The Liquor Box on middle street.
* Go to Mr. Joe's condo's on the south end and enjoy the view from the 'cave bar' and infinity pool.
* Eat at Caroline's and have the best Pina Colada ever made by Margie (including virgin) even if you don't like Pina Colada. I normally don't, and they're still the best drink on the island!
* Go get treated to some great bar games with Marlon at Coco Loco's on the beach north of the bridge (a great guy to know on the island).
* Try fly fishing.
* Relax, go slow, enjoy.
* Make sure and get up early for a few sun rises!
Posted By: fordshouse

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/24/11 01:02 PM

have tried about a 1/3 of these.. have some others to do when we get back in January
Posted By: Maya House

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/25/11 03:42 AM

And how could I forget one of the best, and most important - stop by Saga, volunteer to walk the dogs and/or make a small donation to help one of the best organizations on the island!
Posted By: Luvinlife

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/25/11 04:44 AM

Dont forget Pedros, one of the best vets on the island and close. Also cold beer, the best pizza you have ever had.
Posted By: Nova

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/25/11 11:16 AM

Pedro is a vet now? Geesh, see what happens when you miss a visit?!
Posted By: rockfish

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/25/11 01:43 PM

Fishing/beach BBQ/snorkeling trip. Will be your best day and best meal of your trip.
Posted By: PalapaBob

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/25/11 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nova
Pedro is a vet now? Geesh, see what happens when you miss a visit?!

Now that's frightening!!!!! eek

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/25/11 02:52 PM

Fabulous lists-thank you again so much. We would love to bring school supplies but since school will be out does anyone know where we could drop them off?

Do you have a place to recommend for beach BBQ? We will be cooking in the house but since my idea of a vacation includes as little food preparation as possible, I am looking for any reasonable/delicious alternatives.

I am interested in the Lamanai trip but the price ($125 per person) seems hefty for eight people. Is there a more economical way to do it since we are such a big group?
Posted By: SandDiver

Re: the top musts while here.... - 05/29/11 03:15 AM

I'm looking for a package deal -
1 day Caye Caulker with Beach BBQ
1 day split zip line and cave tubing
1 To 2 day snorkeling

Anyone know of a company who will package these and for how much? I've done these before, but I'm coming down with a friend and this time am more concerned about getting the most. Just curious who you suggest.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board