AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: jtk2010 Spearfishing - 05/25/11 04:32 PM
I am taking a trip to Ambergris Caye this winter with my family and was curious what the local laws were regarding spearfishing? From what little information I have been able to obtain - you have to know the size and species restrictions of the fish before you spear it, and all spearfishing must be while free diving. Can anyone add to this if I am not correct. Also, are there places on the island where you can rent a speargun as I prefer not to pack mine down there? I would like to just kayak out onto the reef and spearfish at my leisure, is this plausable? Thanks in advance for any info.
Posted By: Phil Re: Spearfishing - 05/26/11 12:07 AM
Do a search there are a few threads on this. Things like this are not set in stone so to speak, despite there being some rules as you correctly state. It has a bad rep overall with a lot of local guides and the Tour Guide Association frowning on visitors spearing and it could get you in a stcky spot with fishing licenses lack of guide on a tour etc. If you really want to do it finding a guide with the guns willing to take you out would be the most conservative, or if you're more liberal go for it but be aware you could have some issues. No rentals I know of, but many locals/guides have them.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board