AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Thought I'd combine here - lol

1.) Coastal Xpress water taxi service. I need a weekly pass but can't seem to get them to return my e-mails. Any idea how much they cost?

2.) Shark Ray Alley - I've heard it's awesome, but also heard stories of some tour guides cutting the barbs off of the rays, and treating the nurse sharks irresponsibly. Searious adventure has a package deal that includes a trip here - OK to go? I don't want to see any sea creatures butchered...does that happen often? Thoughts?
You will have a great time with them at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. They are very responsible and are all licensed tour guides.
Whew! Thanks Shuffles! Very glad to hear that smile
Originally Posted by Melinda79

Shark Ray Alley - I've heard it's awesome, but also heard stories of some tour guides cutting the barbs off of the rays, and treating the nurse sharks irresponsibly. Searious adventure has a package deal that includes a trip here - OK to go? I don't want to see any sea creatures butchered...does that happen often? Thoughts?

I'm always curious to know where people hear such things. Would you mind telling us?
If it's a website or on line forum it may be worth a visit to set the record straight so that other people, like Melinda79, aren't worried.
It may be worth noting that a lot of the guides do handle the rays and sharks. Since I, personally, don't want this, I always ask if they do and if they say 'yes', I pick another outfit.
Sorry, Hon - it WAS an online forum, but I can't for sure remember which one/what title it was under. I just read it a few months ago and was horrified (enough to almost not want to go to Shark Ray Alley!) I wasn't sure if it was out of line to ask whether or not they handle the sharks/rays. Thanks for the input smile
Tour Guides need to know by hearing it from their Tourist/Guest that touching Sharks and Rays isn't appreciated.
The Tourguides want to make you happy, they work for tips and if the consumer lets them know it isn't cool and not appreciated they will stop.
IMHO its just Old School Mentality and the Guides need updating to the modern consciousness of respecting the wildlife.
Remember they are the sons of sons of fishermen and the first generation that is showing the fish instead of catching them.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board