AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Bringing in food?

Posted By: Erin...

Bringing in food? - 07/01/11 01:24 AM

I was wondering if you can bring in frozen meat to ambergris? We are coming from austin tx usa. Does anyone know if you can and how much it costs?
Thank you
E
Posted By: Hunter45

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/01/11 12:06 PM

No you can not bring meats in...
Posted By: champion

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/01/11 04:29 PM

You can too, it must have a USDA lable and you must declare it. I know, been there.
Posted By: Phil

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/01/11 04:59 PM

Without a permit? Not in my experience.

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/01/11 05:02 PM

In short things like this are never set in stone and depend on the day and who you see and you could esily have it taken. Why bother with the additional aggrovation.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/01/11 05:24 PM

get a permit. then get it wrapped by the meat company so it looks official and have em put usda stamps all over it. then put the meat into dry ice in a camping refrigerator.

bring a receipt for it also. for tax calculations. cost well, depends on the total amount of meat and who checks you thru customs! some randomness in there.

OR just buy the meat here. lots better than it used to be.

Posted By: MathieusDeli

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/01/11 08:08 PM

True Marty. Gunter has had some amazing feedback from the "out of this world filet mignon and steak" (customers' comments, not ours"). People assume it's only USDA we're using, but we've been very happy with the local meat, and have decided that where we can, we'll use only local produce. Not worth the hassle in our opinion to try to bring in some. Surely even texans aren't that addicted to their steaks?? are they?
Posted By: gecko_girl

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/01/11 08:19 PM

Personally I prefer the flavour of the local meat although it does have more texture than the US imported stuff. I am not saying chewy just that you know you are eating meat, which again I would say is a good thing. Also Lino's brings in a lot of beef and pork from the US which you can buy - more expensive than local obviously, but a lot easier than bringing your own.
Posted By: Cooper

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/02/11 12:37 AM

Yup..you sure can bring meat in. I brought in 10 rib steaks frozen in a cooler, so they were thawed but cold on arrival. Before moving here I was a meat cutter at Safeway, so had some connections with pricing on packages.You must have the USDA label and expect to pay about 30 to 40% duty on value of meat. Now if you start bringing in a case or so of meat so it looks like you are going to sell it, then you are in trouble.

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/02/11 05:26 PM

Well I tried this a few years ago and had to dance pretty quick to keep my meat. I was told you had to have an Government issued import permit to bring in any meat, even for personal consumption - USDA or not. It could have changed but most likely (which is hard for those not used to Belize practice to understand) it changes on the day and on the person you deal with. As before - Why bother unless there is a specific important reason? For a weeks holiday eat local Chicken Pork or Seafood that are all great.
Posted By: JZB

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/02/11 08:04 PM

You absolutely DO need a permit to bring in meat. Sometimes a customs agent will let you get away with it, but it is not something you should count on.

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/04/11 02:46 AM

Dont know what to say, I had no problem, wondering if those that do are not legal residents? Then dont know why that would matter. I have done it twice with no problems at all,then again as you say its a daily experience, and chicken is better for you anyway....
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/04/11 10:48 AM

Visitors and residents can bring in USDA meats but it is a legal requirement that one first obtains a BAHA permit.

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/04/11 11:19 PM

Thanks for all the info, Yes us texans do love our beef.... But we love lobster... we were just wondering If it has changed since the last time we where there. we brought meet last time.
:-) Guess we will give it a shot again.
Posted By: Hunter45

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/05/11 12:18 PM

Save the beef for home. Eat the fish, Shrimp and Lobsters and the chicken. There are so many good deals on food in San Perdo.
Posted By: Melinda79

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/06/11 01:32 PM

What about snacks? Crackers, candy - can you bring that in without any problems? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: collyk

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/06/11 01:38 PM

Melinda,

Unless you have very special dietary needs, you'll find that you can get snacks, crackers and candy at one of our many supermarkets.

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/06/11 01:59 PM

no reason at all to bring in a bunch of snacks. takes up sooo much room, and its so expensive when you go over weight on your luggage.

lots of USA style snacks available in the stores like collyk says, and you should try some of the yummy Belizean snacks like the fried plantains, the lil meat pies, visit the fabulous bakeries, etc...
Posted By: Melinda79

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/06/11 02:01 PM

Thanks all!

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/07/11 12:06 AM

I went into the BAHA office at airport both times and paid a small duty on the meat, took about 5 minutes..just wondering if those of you saying this cant be done have tried it or just reading the rules. I have also brought in Salmon a few times.
Posted By: Bear

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/07/11 03:51 AM

Considering how tasty I find Cayo beef, I cant imagine bringing in beef. It may cost more but I'd rather save time and the hassle, and daym the fish is so doggone good anyway!

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/07/11 02:21 PM

Cooper, I don't believe anyone is saying you CAN'T but that you are 'supposed to' have an import permit from BAHA and that you may or may not get away with it if you import without that permit. I know of people who had their steaks confiscated and I know people who were denied a permit (in the past year) to bring in steaks for personal consumption. Also, you are 'supposed to' have a import permit for dried pasta but many people bring their own, myself included, without.

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/07/11 05:37 PM

get the permit.

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/07/11 05:37 PM

get the permit.
Posted By: Dane

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/07/11 07:02 PM

Hassle to get?

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/07/11 07:25 PM

Info here on the BAHA Site:

http://www.baha.bz/import_permits.html

Re: Bringing in food? - 07/13/11 03:40 AM

Thank you all so much for the info. looking forward to our trip..
E
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board