AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Hi, there! My husband and I want to stay on Ambergris Caye for two weeks next April, and we have narrowed our preference to the South End of the Caye. We just need to know what the seagrass situation is along the beaches, and can you just walk off into the water to snorkel and swim, or do you have to take a boat? Also, has anyone ever stayed at Coconuts or the Palms? Thanks so much for any replies.
don't know to much about the palms, but coconuts is a very nice medium priced hotel. there is a free breakfast every morning of fresh baked breads, coffee,juice, and fruit. there is a beach bar between the hotel and the water that is excellent for hanging out after the day's diving is done. the front desk will help you book any type of activities you wish to partake in. they also give you free use of bicycles to get around the island.
there is a dock that has a swimming area (and comfy hammocks) that has been cleared of seagrass-or was last time i stayed there. i have been told you can see seahorses if you snorke around a bit.
in my humble opinion, two tumbs up!

[This message has been edited by fred (edited 04-21-2000).]
Thanks, Fred. Really appreciated the information regarding the beaches and seagrass and Coconuts. Can I pick your brain further, and impose upon your opinion of Mata Rocks? I believe we have it narrowed down to either of the two places. We have spent our last four vacations in Cozumel and love it dearly, but want to try for something else. It seems that there are way too many cruise ships on Cozumel anymore, which is so sad. It's not a quiet little island anymore. We just want to dive, snorkel, walk on the beach, partake in some nite life and walk back to our hotel from Town at night. Thanks for your input, again. It's really cold here in Northern Michigan right now!
We stayed at the Palms in feb - it was close to town, and the units are very spacious with modern furnishings - great staff too. We will stay there again next year. The Palms is right next door to Ramons, and Ramons removes the sea grass from their beach so you can swim off the beach or off their pier. Have a great time - you will love it.
Arlene,

Mata Rocks is located at the south end of the best beach on south Ambergris. I stayed at Banana Beach Resort in Jan/Feb which is 50 feet north of Mata Rocks. I spent many pleasant hours at MR's beach bar and received good service (the bartender, even went so far as to deliver a drink to my lounge chair in front of BB, and with a big smile. The rooms are clean and fairly roomy, some with bar fridges and kichenettes (I asked for a tour of the rooms).

You might also want to consider Banana Beach with beautiful one bedroom suites and a pool. You may be able to get a good rate well in advance.

In any case, the beach at this point does not have turtle grass due to a channel in the reef which allows the wave action to remove most of the grass. The bottom is sandy and you can swim there with no problem.
Thanks to all who replied regarding the condition of the beaches. I am going to try really hard to talk my husband into selling everything we have and moving to Ambergris Caye for the rest of our lives.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board