AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty New doctors at the San Pedro PolyClinic II - 08/11/11 02:26 PM

The community of San Pedro as well as The San Pedro Sun take this opportunity to welcome two new doctors to the San Pedro PolyClinic II family. Physicians Noeli Pinelo Nicholson and Laurenzco Nicholson both joined the staff at the San Pedro PolyClinic over a month ago and expect to be with us for quite some time.

Noeli Pinelo Nicholson is originally from San Ignacio. She attended Sacred Heart High School where she graduated as the Valedictorian. Following this, she attended St. John's College Junior College (SJCJC) where she received her degree in Biology and Chemistry with a minor in Art. This is where she met her future husband, Mr. Laurenzco Nicholson. Born in the United States, and relocated to Belize at the tender age of three months, Laurenzco spent his life living in Maskall Village and San Pedro. He graduated from the San Pedro High School and went on to SJCJC for two years where he majored in Biology and Chemistry. Laurenzco tells The San Pedro Sun that his passion for medicine has been with him as far back as he can remember, with both his grandfather and an aunt being physicians.

Following SJCJC, they both applied and received scholarships to the Escuela Latino Americana de Medicina in Cuba, where they attended from 2003 - 2009. In 2008 they were married and in 2009 they both graduated with their Doctor's degree in medicine.

Upon returning to Belize, both Nicholsons completed their internship, spending ten months at the Western Regional Hospital in Belmopan and two months at the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital, after which they received their full certification.

They were both approached by the Government of Belize to fill positions here at the PolyClinic II. At this opportunity, Mr. Nicholson stated, "Being that I am partially from San Pedro and I know many people here, we went ahead and took that opportunity. I am happy here. I love San Pedro." While Mr. Nicholson is at home here on the island, he hopes that his wife will soon feel the same, and be able to enjoy all the many water activities that the island has to offer and that he enjoyed growing up here. Both doctors plan to eventually become specialized in a particular field, but for now, they plan to enjoy their assignment at the PolyClinic II and in San Pedro. The San Pedro Sun takes this opportunity to welcome them both to the San Pedro!

San Pedro Sun

An amazing young and very bright couple
What a marvelous article. I am so happy to see more doctors on the island that have the family ties that make them glad to stay a while.

Welcome!
Fantastic!
Posted By: Bear Re: New doctors at the San Pedro PolyClinic II - 08/11/11 08:10 PM
Outstanding. In some respects I can almost see getting better care on the Caye than I do here at home...
It's heading that way, rapidly.
It's heading that way, rapidly.
Heading? In California when I need to make a doctors appointment I am kept on hold for a minimum of 20 minutes.
Here when I call they anser by the third ring.
In California I am lucky to get an appointment in about six weeks.
Here I get to come in that afternoon.
In California a minimal visit costs almost $100 US
Here I pay $30 BZ

When I was too sick to go down the stairs and make the five minute ride to the clinic the doctor and nurse came to me. Shots and meds plus visit was $80 BZ and the doctor called me the next day to see how I was doing.

Now - for sure - I still go to California for major medical/surgical - mostly because it is totally free for me there and the HMO does not cover anything outside of their facility.

I'm still trying to drum up some medical people who would come down here - take over one of these empty resorts - and start an assisted living program. ANYONE?
Wait, that's MY idea!

Assisted Living in San Pedro - YES - if you have any idea how to accomplish it, good to do. Being a temporary cripple today (blew out my knee in a bicycle mishap) I am hyper aware of access issues for those with mobility problems. There is a lot to consider, but we do need such a place in Belize - in fact we need several.

Sounds like it may have possibilities. I may have contacts in this area. What locations would be available ? Please PM me.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board