AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Great Chinese food

Posted By: catfish

Great Chinese food - 08/14/11 05:09 AM

If you're in the mood for great Chinese food there's a new place in town for take out - Happy Hour Fast Food located under the Skybox. Very clean with a full menu, not just fried everything (although their fried chicken looked yummy). The Sesame Chicken was my favorite tonight. We also had the Beef and Shrimp Stir Fry and Chicken Fried Rice which were very tasty. They also have excellent ice cream. The same owner used to be located next to Gecko Graphics about three years ago. The name was Fang Yu then. We used to eat there all the time and were sadden when they left the island.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 03:53 PM

Is this just take out .Years back I loved A chinese place it was called Jade garden ?? upstars near the belize yatch club I think that was the name anyway the food was great .And the best egg rolls
you ever had.I miss that place . They now made it into a house.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by captjeff
Is this just take out .Years back I loved A chinese place it was called Jade grden ?? upstars near the belize yatch club I think that was the name anyway the food was great .And the best egg rolls
you ever had.I miss that place . They now made it into a house.

I agree captjeff.......the best chinese food have had anywhere!!
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 05:14 PM

Ditto!! Sad day when they closed!!
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 06:32 PM

Yes it was the Jade Garden. Both myself and my sister worked there. It used to be at the Barrier Reef Hotel and then it moved close to the BYC. It was excellent.

There were times when people would be lined up out of the door - with a waiting time of over an hour. It was rocking!

I miss those days and I really miss good (American) Chinese food.
Posted By: Katie Valk

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 08:17 PM

Amanda, next time you are in the city, lets have lunch at Chon Saan on Kelly St, my fav. Love the river lobster and black bean sauce.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 08:50 PM

The Jade Garden was truly awesome. I got to eat there only once before they closed. Are you saying this take out place has the same owner? Is the quality as good? The only really good Chinese food I get now are egg rolls at Cindy's (after I blot the extra oil off) and Vegetable Chop Sue at Sun-Up Two
Posted By: Marty

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 09:20 PM

we had many many meals at the Jade Garden. It was so awesome. amazing quality of food. delicious. everything was so good. We went there a LOT.

and the key lime pie was the best ever.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 10:28 PM

Best egg rolls in the world...
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 10:57 PM

As I recall, Jade Garden had some good non-Chinese specialties, too.

Posted By: klcman

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 10:59 PM

they did a nice Thanksgiving Dinner..........
Posted By: tcoats

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 11:06 PM

But what about good Chinese restaurants still open in SP? Any other suggestions?
Posted By: shuffles

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/15/11 11:22 PM

Judy's was great but it burnt down. Cindy's Fast Food on the cross road between Middle Street and Back Street (on the north side) is decent. You can also order from Chan Saan Palace (sp?) in Belize City and they will put your order on a Tropic flight for you!!
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/16/11 12:55 AM

Go to Chow San Palace (Belize City) and have the fried eggplant - coated in something heavenly with anise and who knows what, then dipped in plum something or another. It does not travel well - eat it right out of the kitchen or not at all, but even people who may not be eggplant enthusiasts (which is most of the population) will likely love this dish.
Not on the menu but on a poster or two pasted on the pillars.

Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/16/11 02:07 AM

I agree, Judy's was very good........reasonable and a lot for you money......I miss that place......but I miss Judy even more....what a neat Lady.
Posted By: captjeff

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/16/11 12:56 PM

Here we go anybody from the states who want to come down here
open a sit down Chinese restraurant ,who can cook great Chinese food,
has lots of money to invest ,does not mind working 6 or 7 days a week 12 hours a day can make a good buck here LOL
THEN YOU CAN LIVE THE DREAM .

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/16/11 01:40 PM

Happy Hour Chinese food is just take out. Much like all the other places in town that mostly sell fried chicken. The difference being is that they also offer a lot of great stir fries and tradition chinese dishes too. You can see the kitchen from the front and it's really clean. When they were at their previous location I used to do take out for dinner parties. Give them a try - you won't be disappointed. Be careful not to order too much though. One dish is typically enough for 2 people.
Posted By: azbob

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/16/11 02:37 PM

catfish, where is Happy Hour?
Posted By: Surendra

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/16/11 05:35 PM

What about an Indian Restaurant? Will it work you think?

Surendra

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/16/11 05:36 PM

I would love an Indian restaurant here!
Posted By: JZB

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/16/11 05:40 PM

An Indian restaurant would be great! As long as it is executed better than the last one. It would be nice not to have to get curry flown in from Belize City.

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/17/11 01:53 AM

Happy hour is on Tarpon St. between Pescador and Coconut drive - North of the five aside court and under the Skybox restaurant. Looks like an ice cream place from the outside.
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/17/11 02:19 AM

What about the Indian Restaurant across the lagoon? Are they still around? I really enjoyed that place, especially the patio boat that picks you up, slow pace easy ride over....
Posted By: PROBUS

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/17/11 02:39 AM

They closed. But an Indian restaurant would fly here, or even an Indian takeaway. Indian food is beloved of Brits and there are lots of Brits here.
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/17/11 02:46 AM

Im biting my tongue

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/17/11 02:57 AM

Ernie, what does your tongue taste like, Chinese food? Indian food? Talk to us.....You're not usually so shy...

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/17/11 02:58 AM

Judyann you will get to eat tongue when you live here! And cowfoot too! So many delicacies to look forward to. LOL.
Posted By: Bear

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/17/11 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
Judyann you will get to eat tongue when you live here! And cowfoot too! So many delicacies to look forward to. LOL.

Amanda, are you giving guided tours of the restaurants that serve such gustatorial delights? I'd like to sign up if you are wink

Re: Great Chinese food - 08/17/11 03:01 AM

Funny, somehow I can hardly wait....
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board