AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: captjeff new medical school - 08/15/11 02:46 PM
I read that a new medical school was to open
on the island
and the director was DR floyd jackson
is that the same floyd jackson that lived on a sail boat
and walked thru town every day with a shaggy dog?
this seems so strange to me ??
Posted By: SimonB Re: new medical school - 08/15/11 03:10 PM
Yes. Google "American Global University School of Medicine" for information and reviews of the school.
Posted By: captjeff Re: new medical school - 08/15/11 03:49 PM
Thanks Simon I did that .I had that feeling As I had some conversations with him !! they where interesting to say the least.
Posted By: Cayemen Re: new medical school - 08/15/11 05:35 PM
After my personal experience with Dr. Dr. Prof. MD. Floyd Jackson, I wonder if the University opened on the 1. of April.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: new medical school - 08/15/11 09:34 PM
This is a joke is it not?
Posted By: Marty Re: new medical school - 08/15/11 09:42 PM
Press Release - American Global University School of Medicine, AGUSM, now offers San Pedro Town youth and other Belizeans a golden opportunity to become a doctor of medicine. If you have the will, AGUSM has the way. Earn an M.D., become a physician and surgeon.

Graduate in the class of 2016 by enrolling in the all-new AGUSM Pre-Medical Sciences Program today. Registration is Monday, September 12, 2011 at 2:00p.m. at the AGUSM San Pedro Campus located behind Paz Villas across from The Villas at Banyan Bay. The first day of class is Tuesday, September 13, 2011, and the cost is only $1,500 per term. The Pre-Med Program consists of three terms: Fall, Winter and Spring.

Classes are held Monday through Thursday from 6:00p.m. to 9:00p.m. and consist of University- level General Biology, General Chemistry, Medical English Literature and Oral Expression, and Organic Chemistry respectively. Remedial Mathematics consisting principally of College Algebra is available by arrangement with Professor Dr. Paulette Galbraith. A mathematics placement examination score of 70% is required of all Pre-Med students. The examination will be administered Tuesday evening, September 13, 2011, from 6:00 to 7:00p.m.

On Mondays and Tuesdays, Biology and Chemistry will be taught by Professor Dr. Paulette Galbraith, Medical English on Wednesday by Professor Dr. Marilyn Marx, and Organic Chemistry on Thursday by Professor Dr. Floyd Jackson. Textbooks are available in both hard copy and electronic version. E-book readers, nominally priced at the AGUSM bookstore, or computers are required for all Pre-Med students. Course textbooks consist of Jane Reese et al. (2010) Campbell Biology, Ebbing/Gammon (2011) Chemistry, Rise Axelrod (2010) Reading Critically: Writing Well, Blackwell's Underground Clinical Vignettes: Behavioral Sciences, and Solomons/Fryhle (2011) Organic Chemistry.

A preliminary meeting is scheduled for all prospective Pre-Med students on Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at AGUSM San Pedro Campus from 6:00p.m. to 7:00p.m. Please direct all inquiries to Dr. Floyd Jackson, Pre-Med Program Director and Professor of Medicine, telephone #226-2682, cell #663-1927. A Pre-Medical Science Certificate and an AGUSM candidacy the M.D., Medical Doctorate, will be awarded at graduation on the last Saturday of August 2012.

Their website: http://www.agusm.org/
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: new medical school - 08/15/11 09:47 PM
The school has been operational for 6 years - but only about 6 months or so on the island. Dr Jackson taught at St Matthews School of Medicine too. I agree that he can be eccentric.

Dr Marilyn Marx, Dr. Lerida Rodriguez, Dr. Javier Zuniga and Dr. Daniel Gonzalez are all teaching there.

Although we may all have our opinions of each of those character I think that the med school is beneficial to the island.

My eldest child, Rosie will be attending next term and I believe a few of her friends will also. I think it is fantastic that there are more educational options on the island for our youth - at affordable prices!

I guess only time will tell if this is a JOKE or not people. But I do think that rather than condemning a place and its employees you might first want to get a little bit of background info.

I guess some of you guys missed the newspaper stories.

Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: new medical school - 08/15/11 10:04 PM
I think it's great that Sanpedranos and other Belizeans have new opportunities for advanced education. At the same time, so many of these offshore, for-profit med schools have come and gone in Belize -- at least a half dozen have opened and then closed -- that one naturally has to be skeptical.
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: new medical school - 08/16/11 02:09 AM
How long was the Medical School of the Americas on the Island?
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: new medical school - 08/16/11 02:36 AM
As I recall Medical University of the Americas operated in San Pedro from 2002 to 2006. Before that, St. Matthews was on the island from 1997 to 2001 or so before it pulled out and moved to the Cayman Islands. It is still operating on Grand Cayman.

There have been several offshore med schools in Belmopan (Hope, Grace and others) and elsewhere that opened and folded. The longest-lived one is CAHSU near Belize City.
Posted By: Cayemen Re: new medical school - 08/16/11 09:33 AM
When the last Medical University was closed,
they just turned off the light, and forgot 4 dead
bodies...

Educational dead body for student to practice
on the table... a few years latter Town Board had buried them.

In this Medical University, was also Dr. Floyd Jackson involved.
There was no dignity, just hard dollars...
How can somebody forget 4 dead human body's and just shut off the light and look the door?
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: new medical school - 08/16/11 04:04 PM
Okay Cayeman you are absolutely and positively wrong about 4 dead bodies. I didn't want to get into this thread but the outrageous and misinformed info is getting out of control - as usual.

There were not 4 dead bodies at the school. There were some cadaver parts. Meaning, forearm, foot, hand.

And FYI Dr Jackson worked at St Matthews but was not the dean or even admin to the best of my knowledge.

If you don't like Dr Jackson please go and tell him to his face, not behind his back on a message board using a pen name!
Posted By: Uncle Sam Re: new medical school - 08/16/11 08:02 PM
Okay Amanda, Cayeman was totally wrong...

It wasn't 4 bodies that where found.
It was 6 bodies, which they had forgotten.

Invovled was Dr. Jackson and Dr. Renee Searsland

Read this

Cadavers found at abandoned MUAB (San Pedro Sun)

6 Cadavers Found at Abandoned Medical School (7 New Belize)

The thing is that the school building has, for all intents and purposes, been abandoned for three years. And so for three years - the human remains were left rotting - until yesterday when they were found.

The Town Council says it will be bury the remains. The school opened its Belize Campus in February of 2002. 5 years later in 2007 the building was placed for sale.

It was even in CNN
"CNN has contacted The San Pedro Sun to confirm the story on our blog."
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: new medical school - 08/16/11 08:43 PM
Yes I remember all that stuff. But St Matthews was never permitted to import complete cadavers so there in lies the rub.

You can't believe everything you read and hear - even in the news. Haven't you heard of propaganda and sensationalism?

Please don't ask us to start discrediting news stories.

CNN has covered quite a bit of interesting stuff - not all true and often out of context.

And again, now you are dragging Renae into this too.

What about the people that own the building? Wanna bring them in as well.

This whole issue reminds me of why I avoid this message board these days - everyone is full of stories and half truths and can't wait to pounce on innocents that can't protect themselves.

How come Dr Renae and Dr Jackson haven't been criminally charged if this is actually true? Maybe someone that has the guts to confront them personally might be interested to hear the answer.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: new medical school - 08/16/11 10:30 PM
I just received some messages from students that are attending the "new" medical school who are already in their US clinical rotations. They are living their dream and I hope that someday soon we will be able to add some new San Pedrano doctors to that list.

Good luck to the students and the faculty of AGUSM.

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: new medical school - 08/16/11 11:34 PM
We need a good school. I hope we all provide as much constructive support as possible.

BIG-UP THE GOOD!!
Posted By: Surendra Re: new medical school - 08/17/11 01:36 AM
I met Dr. Jackson at the Reef Grill when we were visiting SP in March. He was singing there that night. We chatted a bit that night. I thought the med school was already open at that time because he invited to come visit the place the next day. I graduated from one of the oldest medical schools in the world 27 years ago. A good medical school needs a lot of infrastructure!I am not sure how much of that is possible for $1500.00 a term unless someone is subsidizing it.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board