AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Dallas Need some help - 05/16/00 07:29 PM
My husband and I are coming to San Pedro soon and I am looking at staying at one of the following places:
Caribe Island Resort - south part of island
Xanadu - new resort south part
Casa Caribe Resort - north
We are looking for a nice place with a pool, AC, nice swimming beach near by and in a safe area - where I do not have to worry about things that I leave in the room. I heard not to bring any valuables to the island - jewelry, digital camera etc. - which concerns me.
And how deep is the water in those "demarcated" swimming area. I would think that with the boats coming in and out the water would not be very clean.
And the question of the day....what SPF suntan lotion should I bring - I tan good with a 4/6 in Dallas.
Any feedback on any of these places will be welcome, especially if you have stayed at one of them.
Thanks for your help!!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Need some help - 05/17/00 02:24 PM
I haven't stayed in any of these places, but I've visited them all. They're all okay. Xanadu is small and rather unusual in design, and if I remember correctly it does not have a pool, but the other two do. Casa Caribe has more of a condo/residential atmosphere, and Caribe Island has more of a full-service small resort atmosphere. I think the decision you need to make first is whether you want to be in a more "remote" area (Casa Caribe, which is on North Ambergris Caye, accessible only by water taxi or ferry) or whether you would rather be on the main part of the island, albeit both Xanadu and Caribe Island are a couple of miles south of town, so you'll need to take a taxi or golf cart (or bike) into town.

As to jewelry and such, there's no need to take it because there's really no place to wear it on a laid-back Caribbean island. And it's true that if you leave an expensive camera or watch out, someone just might be tempted to pick it up (just as anywhere in the U.S.), but in general the island is safe and crime is not a factor for tourists -- indeed 99% of visitors probably feel far safer than they would in many popular Caribbean island destinations such as the US Virgin Islands.

As to the sea, in most places the water is quite shallow close to shore. The places you are considering are several miles from town and there is relatively little boat traffic, and the water is clean. Of the three places you mention, I'd say Xanadu is near the best beach, Mar de Tumbo.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/
Posted By: TC Re: Need some help - 05/17/00 10:04 PM
We've stayed at the Caribe Island on all three of our trips to San Pedro. They have a great pool and the swimming/snorkeling off the end of the dock is a lot of fun.

We find the distance from town is just right for getting away from it all. The resort provides bicycles and offers free taxi service for guest during the dinner hour. They have a pretty good restaurant/bar on the premises, for those days when you just don't feel like going anywhere.

Have a great vacation.

TC
Posted By: Marvel Re: Need some help - 05/18/00 04:10 PM
Sounds like you do not get a lot of chances to travel. But San Pedro is a lot more safer than Dallas could ever hope to be. We are so use to crime now that we assume that every where is just like our degrading society in the USA.
As for Valuables: Can't think of a reason why you would take jewelry, but cameras can disappear any where you go, so take the same percautions as if you were at home.( Ask the hotel,etc if they have a safe to put it in if you are that concerned. I would be those cameras cost a bundle!!
Sun Protections: I really suggest going to this site for information of Sun Protection! www.kevinmodera.com/sun.htm It will give you all the information about clothing sunscreens ,their ratings, sunglasses,hats, etc.Plus lots of fishing info. Remember you will be closer to the equator than you think.
Even if you Never Burn and Tan Deeply you need atr least a 15 SPF.
Have a great time, relax and enjoy that beautiful clear clean water.
Posted By: ReneaGeorge Re: Need some help - 05/19/00 03:32 AM
I have stayed at Caribe Island Resort many, many times. I have never had a problem with any of my valuables being taken (that includes cameras and jewelry).
Also, one of the things that I like best about Belize is that the Belizeans are really kind and friendly. I have never felt threatened in any way.
Renea George www.Belize-Vacations.com
Posted By: Sandcrab Re: Need some help - 05/19/00 01:43 PM
You asked for a nice place with Air-Cond., pool, good swimming beach nearby, and where your valuables are safe.

Banana Beach Resort, Villas at Banyan Bay and Tropica Beach Hotel fit your description. BB also has free in-room lock boxes in every suite.

Mar de Tumbo Beach has very little turtle grass and a sand bottom where you can walk into the clean, clear sea and enjoy a swim.

All these resorts are found at:
//www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html

Good luck in your search and enjoy your vacation.

**Jim
sandcrab@bigfoot.com

[This message has been edited by Sandcrab (edited 09-04-2000).]
Posted By: blubin Re: Need some help - 05/19/00 06:18 PM
I agree with Sandcrab......The beach area @ Bananas is about teh best on the island and the hotel is very new. the owner is Tim and he stays there most of the time. E mail him direct. Bananas has teh best of all you are looking for. OR Banyan Bay Villas. But they are pricey, but real nice. Use the tour/dive shop @ Banyan Bay Villas, 2 minute walk from Bananas, and see Eli for all your excursions. She has the best charters and people running tours.

Brian
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board