AmbergrisCaye.com Home
[Linked Image]

On Friday, September 23rd, the Phoenix Resort and Woodshop staff installed the new lettering for the renamed Dr. Otto Rodriguez Poly Clinic II. Existing letters were moved to accommodate the new name, and while working on the new lettering, they repainted the background of the existing letters too. There is still some final touch up work to do, but for the most part the sign is done. Big thanks to Cherry Reyes and Elmer Gonzalez for coordinating on this wonderful project, and thumbs up to the staff for their great work.

San Pedro Sun
I was describing the clinic to a buddy who is an ER Doc. He was pretty impressed by the accessibility to health care and the appreciation shown their island docs and nurses.
We rode by there today and the sign is covered with a tarp!

Not sure why... confused

Emily
The sign isn't finished yet.

The Ministry of Health in collaboration the San Pedro Lions Club and the business community of Ambergris Caye, through the patronage of The Belize Tourism Industry Association (BTIA), have partnered in an effort to rename the clinic to Dr. Otto Rodriguez San Pedro Poly Clinic II, expand the services presently being offered at the San Pedro Poly Clinic II and to expand its opening hours from 8hours to 12hours.

The new services to be provided at clinic include gynecological, pediatric, ultrasound and x-ray. Additionally, the clinic will now be opened on Saturdays from 8a.m. to 12p.m. expansion of the services and opening hours at the poly clinic will be taking place effectively Wednesday, October 12, 2011.

Ambergris Today
SAN PEDRO CLINIC GETS NEW NAME

The San Pedro Polyclinic II has undergone a rename change. In May of this year, the San Pedro community mourned the loss of the islands first physician, Dr. Otto Rodriguez. Dr. Otto's passing was due to heart complications, but his contributions to the island has been significant; he has been an active member of the community, a member of the Lion's Club, a respected father and also his generosity towards the less fortunate when it comes to his profession was over overwhelming. It is then only fitting to show the islands gratitude by renaming the San Pedro Polyclinic II to the Dr. Otto Rodriguez Polyclinic II. While the finishing touches are being placed on the sign, the gesture signifies how Dr. Otto's dedication and hard work impacted the community since his arrival to San Pedro in the 1980's.

LOVEFM

Presenting the newly renamed Dr Otto Rodriguez Polyclinic II

At the grounds of the newly renamed Dr. Otto Rodriguez Polyclinic II, health officials, businesspeople, invited guests and community members witnessed the unveiling of the new name of the community clinic. The ceremony was also in acknowledgement of the expansion of services and opening hours at the clinic.

After a brief but touching ceremony, wherein invited speakers Marina Kay (President of the San Pedro Lions Club), Elito Arceo (representative of the San Pedro Business Association), Daniel Guerrero (on behalf of Belize Rural South Area Representative Hon. Manuel Heredia Jr.), Honorable Pablo Marin, Minister of Health and Dr. Peter Allen, CEO in the Ministry of Health recalled Dr. Otto's quiet but powerful service to the community. All acknowledged the need to honor his memory, to continue his legacy for generations to come. And then it was time for the ceremonial reveal.

Under the warm rays of the sun, Dr. Otto's widow Mireya and son Henry were joined by Honorable Pablo Marin, and San Pedro Mayor Elsa Paz in the unveiling of the new name. Mrs. Rodriguez addressed the crowd briefly and emotionally, thanking the community for accepting her family as part of San Pedro, and for honoring her late husband's name.

Click here for the rest of the story and photos in the San Pedro Sun

and HERE for the Ambergris Today story

you should prehaps mention that the Minister committed his full support to the building of a hospital on the island but they need to find some land! Estimated cost B$17 million as we understood it listening on the day.
GEE - I wonder just who(wink wink nod nod) might just happen to have the right amount of acreage available for a measly $17mil?
Ideally the property would be on water and possibly the lagoon side would be most economical. Close to the airstrip would be necessary...perhaps the San Pedrito area would be ideal. I would imagine someone has already assembled some land well in advance and the location won't necessarily make sense but we can hope.
Why oh why do some people choose to be cynical at every turn? We have busted our butts to get the project this far. We really don't need a kick in the teeth we need a helping hand.
Amanda - my cynicism is not directed at you and people like you who do so much for this community and I apologize if my post offended you. I very much admired Dr. Otto and I loved his son Otto who I did some wonderful dives with, took some good photos and video of. I would never disparage their names.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board