AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 03:15 PM
The San Pedro Town Council informs the general public that effective immediately ONLY bikes/motorbikes, golf carts (no trailers) and pedestrians are allowed to cross the bridge. This will be in effect until further notice as presently the street rehabilitation project is ongoing. The cooperation of everyone is appreciated.
Posted By: CaptOneIron Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 05:11 PM
What on earth does this purport to accomplish and what does it have to do with work on the street?
Posted By: elbert Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 05:31 PM
The road construction on the South side of the bridge has reached the last section before the bridge.
The detour around it is very difficult.
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 05:36 PM
Elbert is right and I for one am pleased with this decision otherwise that back detour section will become inpassable very quickly!
Posted By: ctb Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 06:37 PM
Isn't this the original plan for bridge traffic? I thought when it was built it was limited to golf carts/peds/bike/motorbikes, no? Then we had the taxis added and then the large and heavy trucks. I'm glad that for whatever reason, the traffic has been limited.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 07:47 PM
It appears that enforcement of this temporary bridge restriction is spotty at best. We observed two heavy trucks carrying cut foliage/tree limbs AND a taxi (mini-van) north of the bridge today while riding our bikes.

Emily
Posted By: SnoopysMom Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 07:53 PM
I believe this is the equipment that is stationed North of the Bridge and used for grading roads. Grateful for the relief of no Taxicabs as 2 nights ago one was speeding by and completely splashed me with mud (insert angry woman icon here).
Posted By: BeBelize Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by SnoopysMom
I believe this is the equipment that is stationed North of the Bridge and used for grading roads. Grateful for the relief of no Taxicabs as 2 nights ago one was speeding by and completely splashed me with mud (insert angry woman icon here).

Yes, there was a large grader out north too, and the trucks with road foliage were probably associated with road improvements. But there WAS a regular mini-van taxi north of the bridge as well, despite the stated restriction on such.

Emily
Posted By: champion Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by BeBelize
Originally Posted by SnoopysMom

Yes, there was a large grader out north too, and the trucks with road foliage were probably associated with road improvements. But there WAS a regular mini-van taxi north of the bridge as well, despite the stated restriction on such.

Emily

That would be another way of taxi business. Taxis to the bridge, people and luggage ferried over then the northern taxis take from there. Pain in the butt saves the bridge.
Posted By: seashell Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 10:30 PM
Could be a good little business for an industrious type that owns a wheelbarrow or a large cart. Doesn't have to be the traveller's pain in the butt. wink Might be another tiny dent in the wallet, but worth it.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by champion

That would be another way of taxi business. Taxis to the bridge, people and luggage ferried over then the northern taxis take from there. Pain in the butt saves the bridge.

Ah, well if that is what is going on, then my comment was misplaced. I didn't actually see what happened when the taxi reached the bridge, just that it was heading that way, but it could be.
Posted By: champion Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/11/11 11:36 PM
Don't know if thats going on either, but it could be an answer for the future.
Posted By: Marty Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 05:35 PM
from a friend....

I've just spoken to the Vice Mayor. He said that as of now only a three seat Polaris is allowed to cross the bridge. A six seater, or crew cab, is not allowed.

Also, beginning next Monday, the bridge will be closed to ALL traffic for about a week.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 05:37 PM
That's going to suck.
Posted By: pirate villas Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 05:40 PM
if its closed to all traffic how will my guests leaving on next wendsday return there cart and leave
Posted By: SFJeff Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 05:41 PM
that's great timing for a holiday week...???
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 05:43 PM
We haven't seen an official announcement anywhere yet about this. They have to have some kind of alternate in order to shut it down for a week, wouldn't they? North of Boca Del Rio is quite populated and closing the only option to get into the city wouldn't be the smartest thing to do.
Posted By: natalie p Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 06:32 PM
I just called the SPTB and they confirmed it. Only open for pedestrians.
Posted By: Marty Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 06:47 PM
NOTICE

The San Pedro Town Council informs the General Public that the Boca Del Rio Bridge will be closed to all vehicular traffic (including golf carts) starting on Monday, November 21, 2011 and will re-open on Monday, November 28, 2011. Only pedestrians will be allowed to cross the bridge during this period. If work should be delayed the public will be advised.

The San Pedro Town Council regrets any inconveniencies caused.
Posted By: champion Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 06:51 PM
Looks as if its time to find the old barge and get it opperational again!
Posted By: elbert Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 07:13 PM
If Evel Knievel can do the grand canyon I should be able to jump that little river!
Posted By: SFJeff Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 07:14 PM
at least the closure is not over a busy week on the island....
Posted By: SFJeff Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 07:16 PM
Elbert: have folks grading the road put large pile of fill on each side and then grade it into ramps!!! Should be a relatively easy jump if you carry a bit of speed into it. Just watch out for your collarbone!!!!
Posted By: BeBelize Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Marty
NOTICE

The San Pedro Town Council informs the General Public that the Boca Del Rio Bridge will be closed to all vehicular traffic (including golf carts) starting on Monday, November 21, 2011 and will re-open on Monday, November 28, 2011. Only pedestrians will be allowed to cross the bridge during this period. If work should be delayed the public will be advised.

The San Pedro Town Council regrets any inconveniencies caused.

What about bicycles? Are we considered vehicles or pedestrians?!

Thanks!
Emily
Posted By: belizeonthebeach Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 07:34 PM
There is absolutely no reason why they cannot do 1/2 at a time and keep 1 lane open. I dream for the the day when someone at the Town Board is elected or is put in a position of power that has just a little bit of foresight and common sense. This s^%$t ain't that hard you guys!!!
Posted By: baartman Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 07:35 PM
YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!! This is totally outrageous especially given the T-giving weekend. Mrs. Baartman asked me a few days back about this and my thoughts were to complete one side, operate as one way and then complete the other side. WHAT WAS I THINKING...I must be really stupid to think of something as simple as this!!! COME ON - if someone from SPTC is viewing this...give your a head a shake!!!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by belizeonthebeach
There is absolutely no reason why they cannot do 1/2 at a time and keep 1 lane open. I dream for the the day when someone at the Town Board is elected or is put in a position of power that has just a little bit of foresight and common sense. This s^%$t ain't that hard you guys!!!

Glad we decided to skip our Thanksgiving trip this year and opted to be there for Christmas & New Years. I've always thought that Thanksgiving week was a fairly busy time for tourist. The Town Board has such arrogant disregard for visitors and the residents north of the bridge. Jim, tell them how to do it without complete disruption!
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 08:10 PM
Everybody should email the town board, [email protected], and let them know your feelings about completely closing the bridge instead of leaving one lane open.
Posted By: xcanuck Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 08:21 PM
You have to be kidding!! Of course, they're closing it the day we arrive in SP. We're staying at Reef Village, which makes things a complete pain in the ass for us. I emailed the SPTB, though I would be very surprised if we got any response. I get the feeling that gringo tourists aren't a priority for them.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 08:38 PM
I just wrote the SPTB and asked if bicycles were included in the closure. If so, it's not just "gringo tourists" and expats (like myself) who are seriously inconvenienced; it's many, many local workers who ride their bikes to and from work on resorts, restaurants, and construction sites up north every day. The water taxis will not be able to handle the additional influx of passengers if bikes are included in this restriction.

Emily
Posted By: Marty Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 08:53 PM
The closure is NOT to work on the bridge but to do the last block of cement road work.
Posted By: JZB Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 09:08 PM
One would think that now would be a good time to repair the bridge.
Posted By: champion Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by JZB

Wait a minute, Thats fore thought!
Posted By: BeBelize Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by JZB

"like" grin
Posted By: SFJeff Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 09:31 PM
We'll need at least 1,500 registered voters to write to the Town Board for them to listen to anything, correct?

Posted By: JZB Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 10:26 PM
apparently
Posted By: Loansum-Al K Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 10:45 PM
Just spoke to our property manager and she said next week is one of their most busiest weeks out of the year......she just had to cancel 7 golf cart rentals for that week.......there is going to be a lot of money lost by the local businesses next week because of the bridge closure.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 11:40 PM
Just received an email from the SPTB in regards to my question about bicycles being allowed to cross the bridge. You heard it here first:

"Good Day.
We have reconsidered and Golf Carts, Bikes and pedestrians will be allowed to cross.
Thanks,
San PEdro Town Council"

Posted By: Surendra Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 11:48 PM
Good job Emily. Thanks for getting them to reconsider.

Surendra
Posted By: BeBelize Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/16/11 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Surendra
Good job Emily. Thanks for getting them to reconsider.

Surendra

Oh, I certainly don't think it was ME that got them to reconsider! All I did was politely ask if bikes were included in the ban. I am sure they got other emails/calls from people unhappy with the ban that got them to reconsider. Good thing!
Posted By: denjy Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/17/11 01:15 AM
Just crossed the bridge and asked the attendant if they were going to extend my monthly bridge pass for 1 week and he said they will not be closing after all....leaving one lane open. Also got the same email from the SPTB after sending a complaint earlier. Good work people. Now if only everything could be so easy to resolve.
Posted By: elbert Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/17/11 01:25 AM
I Didn't Hear The Fat Lady Sing, hummmmm
Posted By: SFJeff Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/17/11 01:39 AM
Does this mean that Elbert is not going to try to jump the river??? Say it isn't so!!!

ELBERT!!! ELBERT!!! ELBERT!!!!!!!!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/17/11 01:50 AM
Ol' Elbert has jumped the shark many times through the years....he is ready any time....
Posted By: xcanuck Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/17/11 02:27 PM
Like denjy, I also sent an email to the town council (thanks to whoever posted their email address!) and they responded a few hours later saying:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Please understand that the reason was because of the road being rehabilitated. We will agree to have GOLF CARTS ONLY go through during this time.

San Pedro Town Council
So sanity prevails!
Posted By: BeBelize Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/17/11 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by xcanuck
Like denjy, I also sent an email to the town council (thanks to whoever posted their email address!) and they responded a few hours later saying:
Please understand that the reason was because of the road being rehabilitated. We will agree to have GOLF CARTS ONLY go through during this time.

San Pedro Town Council
So sanity prevails!

If we are to take what they say literally, that means no pedestrians nor bicycles can cross, ONLY golf carts.

Let the controversy begin anew!

smile smile smile smile smile smile
Posted By: Marty Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/17/11 04:42 PM
from a friend....

We just got off the phone with Mr. Guerrero from the Town Board. After lengthy converstion yesterday in regards to our concern of the bridge closing they have agreed to allow "only" golf carts over the bridge instead of closing it completely. No polaris no trucks. This will be in effect while they finish the remainder of the road to the bridge.

If we hear anything further we will let you know
Posted By: Marty Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/18/11 03:13 AM
ISLANDERS RAISE CONCERN OVER BOCA DEL RIO BRIDGE

November 17, 2011

Concerns about the bridge in the Boca Del Rio Area of Ambergris Caye are being raised as it is showing signs of rapid deterioration that could possibly be a safety risk for daily commuters.

Maria Novelo reporting...
"Five years after the installation of the islands first bridge, the Boca del Rio bridge is waging a losing battle against corrosion. The galvanized steel concrete bridge is showing deteriorating signs of corrosive effects due to marine salts. Love News spoke with councillor in charge of streets and infrastructure Severo Guerrero to learn what is being done when it comes to remedial work on the bridge. Guerrero says that while the damage to the bridge is visible on the pedestrian side of the bridge, a short term plan to board up the areas of concern will be put in place. Guerrero further stated that the monies collected at the toll booth will be used to repair the crumbling infrastructure. In 2006, residents of the once sleepy fishing village were accustomed to this man powered pull ferry as seen here. But with the growing pains of an island and the demand for accessibility to connect San Pedro Town and a rapidly booming north part of the island was necessary. Back then, the San Pedro Town Council teamed up with one of San Pedro's wealthiest men, Barry Bowen to open the island's first ever bridge. The bottling magnate Barry Bowen personally financed this project, oversaw construction and sponsored the design and engineering with the premise that Bowen would provide the financing for 5 years at a rate of 12 per cent. At the time, it was foreseen that the bridge will pay for itself through ten dollar tolls collected from golf carts per round trip. According to Councillor Severo that loan had been paid off and that monies collected at the toll will be used to finance the repairs. For the time being the Council has announced its plan to close the bridge to vehicular traffic for the time being, however long that would be. Meanwhile, Severo says that the Council is looking at a long term solution to the bridge problems, but that it would take several months to get the corrosion-free materials shipped to the island. Meanwhile, slabs of wooden boards have been put in place to patch up the iron-clad holes as seen here. The triple span modern bridge, measures 120 feet long and 23 feet wide, was constructed on schedule, taking only four months to build and reportedly costing $750,000.00. It is made of galvanized steel and at the time of its inauguration was reported that it would withstand all the salt air and coastal weather conditions. Other factors contributing to the problem are aging, increasing daily traffic, increasing truck weights, more frequent vehicle overloads, and insufficient maintenance and repairs." The San Pedro Town Council informs the General Public that the Boca Del Rio Bridge will be closed to all vehicular traffic (including golf carts) starting on Monday, November 21 and will re-open on Monday, November 28. The release ends stating that only pedestrians will be allowed to cross the bridge during this period. If work should be delayed the public will be advised and that the Council regrets any inconveniences caused."

LOVEFM
Posted By: PROBUS Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/18/11 03:46 AM
I should have thought that by now the tolls have raised enough to build another complete bridge - if they still have the money. Why is it that the Mayor's refusal to admit auditors into the Town Board offices doesn't fill me with joy?
Posted By: Decompression Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/18/11 03:47 AM
Marty,
Interesting article, but why would you chose to post it now....when the facts of the article have changed? Pedestrians, bicycles and golf carts WILL be allowed across the bridge during the time stated.

DC
Posted By: Marty Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/18/11 03:08 PM
Decompress: there are other interesting details in the article. LOVE had a few facts that were a lil behind but most readers will realize that from reading other posts.

Thanks for accentuating that pedestrians, bicycles and golf carts WILL be allowed across the bridge during the time stated..
Posted By: Marty Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/18/11 03:08 PM

Concerns about the bridge in the Boca Del Rio Area of Ambergris Caye are being raised as it is showing signs of rapid deterioration that could possibly be a safety risk for daily commuters. Love TV's Maria Novelo reports.

LOVETV

Posted By: Marty Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/18/11 07:05 PM
from a friend...

I spoke with Town Board and they told me that email and concerns should be sent to [email protected]. We all need to send our mails with concerns and suggestions You may also call Town Board directly at 226-2198
Posted By: 2MILESNORTHOFCUT Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/20/11 02:34 PM
Crossed the bridge with two golf carts (fully loaded with luggage)Saturday night, no problem.

The block just before the bridge is still under construction but there are detours allowing you to get to the bridge.
Posted By: BeBelize Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/21/11 07:52 PM
They were still allowing Polarises across the bridge today, the 21st. Maybe it is only the 6-seaters they are turning away?
Posted By: champion Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/21/11 08:27 PM
6 seat club car loaded is 2600 lbs
6 seat polaris loaded is 3200 lbs
not a big difference
Posted By: Capt. Hollywood Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/21/11 08:54 PM
I don't think weight is the issue Champion, They have a big slab of concrete used as a barrier and it is pretty tight geting around the corner and through even on my 4 seater club car. I think it is more about the wheel base as the polaris has a wider wheelbase and I think with a six seater it would be real tight trying to make the turn. Looks like they want to move the barrier as they seem to be doing one side, then probably the other and the polaris's being bigger might pose a problem as well as a safety issue for the guys working so close. Either that or thier just morons.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: SPTC Notice: Bridge Crossing - 11/22/11 04:10 AM
I vote 'Morons'
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board