AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: dawg best seafood places in March? - 12/21/11 05:09 AM
We will be coming to San Pedro for the first time the end of March. We will be staying at the Conch shell Inn. Could you tell us some good restaurants? We especially love seafood. We are also not big spenders. 94 sleeps. Dawg
Posted By: seashell Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/21/11 06:34 AM
Oh shoot, my favorite place is closed down. Why not try Jambel's Jerk? They have a number of dishes that are quite tasty. Myself, I don't care for 'jerked" food, so just order my meal "un-jerked" and it is delicious. Also try Reef Restaurant.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/21/11 02:40 PM
In town try Elvis and Blue Water Grill ...... and there are also some remarkable seafood dishes at Caliente, Mango's and El Fogon.

Last night we had the most incredible smoked fish dip at Rojo. I could make a whole meal of it.

Probably the best seafood meal you will ever have though is to be had by taking a day sail, catching & then cooking on the beach over coconut husks ......... the guide will usually bring some lobster to add to the fillets. Remarkable.
Posted By: Hon Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/21/11 02:57 PM
Unfortunately, lobster is not in season when the OP is in San Pedro.
Posted By: dawg Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/21/11 11:51 PM
Keep those posts coming. I'm starting to drool. Dawg
Posted By: BrusselSprout Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/22/11 12:05 AM
I'm a giant sucker for the conch or just seafood soup at some of the local delis. For $10-12bzd, it's a meal for two. Elvi's Kitchen makes a ridiculously good coconutty one.
Posted By: BrusselSprout Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/22/11 12:06 AM
Or conch or shrimp ceviche at Lily's...you'll be right next door. It's divine.
Posted By: PSUhorty Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/22/11 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by BrusselSprout
Or conch or shrimp ceviche at Lily's...you'll be right next door. It's divine.

Agreed... we made it a point to find the best ceviche... we decided Lily's was the best w/El Divino coming up a close second.
Posted By: Hon Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/22/11 12:26 AM
Seafood soup! It's not on the menu at a lot of places but if you ask, most will make you a soup beyond compare! Try Waragumas...ab fab!!!
Posted By: dawg Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/22/11 12:50 AM
I love ceviche and am anxious to try conch soup. How about conch fritters? Any best place? Dawg
Posted By: collyk Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/22/11 01:51 AM
Conch fritters, El Fogon!
Posted By: tortuga.chica Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/22/11 04:12 PM
Fish balls, too... (El Fogon)
Posted By: captjeff Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/22/11 05:25 PM
ELVI'S kitchen Try the conch fingers ,OMG.I like better then fritters all strips of conch deep fried [WONDERFUL STARTER]
Also try the watermelon shrimp OMG.
Enjoy your food lots of places that rock here ,like Rojo,blue water grill ,wild mangos,
Red ginger.Just to name a few.

Posted By: seashell Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/23/11 06:32 AM
I believe Dawg said they are not big spenders. My interpretation of that is: they are looking for recommendations of more moderately priced menus.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/23/11 07:01 AM
SS, is your fav place that closed down Papi's? smile

Another idea, if you want to try some of the places CJ mentions above, why not do lunch? Prices will be less and you still get to try some of the island's great places.

Bon Appetit!
Posted By: seashell Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/23/11 01:05 PM
LOL, no Laurie, my fav place for seafood and/or almost anything else on their menu, was Ambergris Delight.

And Laurie, great suggestion to do lunch instead at the higher end places mentioned by Capt. Jeff and few others.
Posted By: Laura G Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/24/11 03:08 AM
I just polled the family, and everyone in my house says that Fido's has really good and moderately-priced conch fritters. It's right on Front Street, north of the clock tower. They have good drinks, too, and beer on tap (a rarity here).

Laura
Posted By: purdygrl Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/24/11 03:37 AM
I really like The Reef for seafood. Anything at El Fogon but their fishballs are wonderful.
Posted By: LaurieMar Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/24/11 05:17 AM
No one has mentioned Sunset Grill or Hidden Treasure (i had some delicious grilled snapper fillet there). I assume both are still open....An appetizer or lunch at either place is a treat.

I need to know where El Fogon is. Last year I drove around forever trying to find it and gave up!
Posted By: captjeff Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/24/11 03:58 PM
I use to love sunset grill the place changed hands
old chef left the new owner put in a auto service 15%gratuity
charge on the bill and Adds gst to the bill[ the staff Said they where not happy!!and where losing people.Another wrong move by a newbe.
I do not like the way they try to sneak it in I tip I tip 20% cash . if the service is
Good But will never go back . I drove past it two weeks ago the place was empty???
Hidden treasure [ OK FOOD ]to many bugs for me. And way to hot if there is no breeze when you go.. JMHO.
THIS ISLAND HAS SO MANY GOOD PLACES TO LIVE THE FOOD DREAM .
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: best seafood places in March? - 12/26/11 03:47 AM
El Fogon has different dishes each day of the week. I usually go on Tuesday for their fried chicken with mashed potatoes and corn with a side salad. Friday is Salbutes - really good.
El Fogon is located on the little one block long street midway between Tropic Air and Maya Island Air.
Very good people.
Posted By: dawg Re: best seafood places in March? - 01/06/12 02:22 PM
Are there any unusual foods or dishes we should try? Dawg
Posted By: dawg Re: best seafood places in March? - 01/18/12 04:00 PM
I am starting to map your suggestions. I would like some help giving me directions from The Conch Shell Inn (hotel). I have found some on a map I found on the internet including: Elvi's kitchen, Calliente, Lily's, Blue Water Grill, Rojo lounge, Sunset Grill, El Fogon ( I think). Also, if there are more suggestions, keep them coming. We are looking forward to our trip in March. You all have been very helpful. A reminder, we aren't rich (not poor either) so anything from cheap to reasonable is okay. Dawg
Posted By: Vash Re: best seafood places in March? - 01/19/12 05:59 PM
The best conch Fritters is at Jambels Jerk Pit
Posted By: Bear Re: best seafood places in March? - 01/19/12 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Vash
The best conch Fritters is at Jambels Jerk Pit

and man am I'm looking forward to a basket or three of those...
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board