AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: tavernguy A few questions from a first time visitor - 07/01/00 04:05 PM
First of all thank all of you who have been providing some great information about AC, you have all helped our family plan our first trip to Belize. (We will be staying on AC 8 days at the Palms and are looking forward to the trip with great anticipation)

I do have a few final questions I was hoping a few of you could answer.
1) Which restaurants are "must visits"? (Our preference for food would be seafood)
2) Which tours should we be sure not to miss? (We plan on snorkeling at least twice, are the mainland tours worth the effort, in particular the cave rafting is one my 9 year old daughter has expressed an interest in)
3) Finally, I am not a fisherman but it seems like it would be a waste to not go out at least once, can anyone recommend a good guide that would have tacle available to rent?

Thanks again for all the information, we look forward to seeing some of you soon!
On good eating (one of my few areas of expertise!) I'd recommend, among other places:

El Patio, at Rock's II south of town -- fine seafood and other dishes at moderate prices, and guitarists to serenade you as well.

Capricorn -- among the most expensive restaurants on the island, but still a bargain for the quality of the food. On North Ambergris.

Rendezvous -- Thai-French fusion, if you want a change. Fairly expensive. On North Ambergris next to Journey's End.

Elvi's -- touristy but good. I especially like it at lunch when prices are quite moderate. Middle St.

Estel's -- good basic fish and such. Also a good place for breakfast. "Mid-town" on the water.

Celi's -- not everyone likes it but I think the fish and rice and beans are great. "Midtown" on the water.

The Reef -- good and cheap. On Middle St.

Rubie's -- good breakfast spot, cheap and cheerful, try the breakfast burritos, opens early. At south edge of town.

Jade Garden -- surprisingly pleasant, with good basic Cantonese and other Chinese, plus pretty good beef. Just south of town.

Fido's -- everybody's favorite for pizza, beer, sandwiches, etc. "Mid-town."

Amnesia Cafe. Pretty pricey, but pretty hip. "Uptown."

Mambo. At Mata Chica. Very expensive, a possible splurge choice. North Ambergris.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/
Posted By: Stephi Re: A few questions from a first time visitor - 07/01/00 05:46 PM
Our last night every November on AC since it opened is an evening sail to the Capricorn! Great food and great atmosphere. They are reservations only please. Youcan email them in advance or call when you arive in country.

El Patio is a very good place also.

A snorkel/sail trip to Caye Caulker is our thing to do every Thanksgiving day for the last ten years. Either on the Me Too/Hustler
catamaran or with George Ely on the Rum Punch. Either makes a great day.

A trip north island on a snorkle/beach bbq trip is also fun.

Have a great time...we always do!
Posted By: Chloe Re: A few questions from a first time visitor - 07/01/00 06:44 PM
Fido's has great lobster and ceviche.

The Reef Restaurant has two lobster tails for the price of one.

Island cusine for conch fritters.

Elvi's food is great, little more pricey.

Mickey's good lunches.

Moncho's carry out lobster lunches $9.50 US$

Must snorkel Hol Chan and Stark/Ray alley all one trip, but find a guide that will swim with your child with a life preserve, and take you snorkeling on top of the reef.
I am not a strong swimmer and could not have navigated the reef and deep area on my own, but the guide pulled me along. WOW Great!
Posted By: Marty Re: A few questions from a first time visitor - 07/02/00 05:31 PM
Capricorn is a culinary delight! I couldlive on El Patio, me and the fajita smell at La Margarita are like rats to the pied piper...

Fidos is great, Estels is my breakfast hangout. The Bun Man has wonderful cinnabuns and pizza delivered...

Jade Garden is great for oriental cooking, Elvis will give you treats you will never forget.... Celis is one of my favorites, Mickeys by the airport for burritos, the Reef, Ruby's...

I know, check out Wil Lala's dining out suggestions at: http://CaribbeanVillasHotel.com/tour/foodtour.html

Of course diving //AmbergrisCaye.com/diving
maya ruins trips //AmbergrisCaye.com/tanisha/lamanai.html

kayaking the back side is awesome cause its so quiet... //AmbergrisCaye.com/seaduced/kayaking.html

sailboarding with http://Sailsports.net ,

cave tubing //AmbergrisCaye.com/pages/town/cavetubing.html

and lotsa hanging out downtown and relaxing...

as for fishing, contact some of the folks at: //AmbergrisCaye.com/fishing/

they can help you.

Tour operators are based at: //AmbergrisCaye.com/tours/

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 07-02-2000).]
Posted By: Kathy Re: A few questions from a first time visitor - 07/05/00 04:18 AM
My family just returned from our Belize vacation. We did the cave tubing at Jaguar Paw for $32 a person. I asked for a discount since there were 5 of us. The owner gave us 1 person free. We enjoyed the tube trip but for the cost of going from Ambergris I don't think so. We went to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley 3 times;Once on the way back from a Manatee trip we had to cancel because of the weather.
We did get to have lunch in Caye Caulker and check out what there was to see. We also enjoyed a trip to Mexico Rocks and a beach barbecue. Tuff N Nuff gave me the same discount that Jaguar Paw did when I asked for it. We also went out straight to the reef from where we were staying for excellent snorkeling for $5 a person! That's because they cancelled one of our trips. Do a night snorkel! That was really exciting! My son & his friend fished off the dock next to Ramons dock and had a good time. Also, you can rent bikes for pretty cheap. If you're only going to rent for a half a day ask for half price like I did. We went to see the crocodile past Victoria House. Some locals are really into the croc. They are starting to build a wall around where the croc comes out. We had some stormy weather while we were there.
Saw lots of lightening! If you have any questions you can e-mail me at [email protected] P.S. I've been sick for 4 days! Started feeling bad on the airplane and it only got worse. Must have gotten some bad water!

El Patio is really good! I loved the bean dip! If you forget to put bug spray on they will bring you some! We ate there twice.

Ambergris Delight had good pizza and Celis resturant was also good, get the key lime pie!

We didn't think La Margurita was that great.
It was ok. Sometimes you get this little sewer smell flying by. Put bug spray on.

We were in Elvis at 10:00 at night and it was hot in there. I thought the food at Fidos was better.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board