AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: filmmaker ben Anyone running a Roku box? - 01/08/12 05:53 PM
Does anyone on the island have a Roku box?

If so, since I assume you have to run it through a VPN, what connection speed is fast enough to stream movies?
Posted By: Bear Re: Anyone running a Roku box? - 01/08/12 09:21 PM
Maybe ask Julien at CSM2000 that question Ben, I know for a fact I cant do it...I think 512K might be the bottom side of bearable and might stream normal defintion but HD? I just dont know...
Posted By: filmmaker ben Re: Anyone running a Roku box? - 01/09/12 04:26 AM
We have the 1MB connection, but I'm in the states for a couple more days and am trying to decide whether to give it a try. If I do buy it, I'm certainly not going to spring for the HD model.
Posted By: Bear Re: Anyone running a Roku box? - 01/10/12 12:28 AM
Ben I'm bringing an Apple TV down just to experiment, in fact the wife's new Kindle Fire might be a good indication of streaming seeing as I've been playing with the Kindle Fire netflix app. One MB? I wouldnt you'd be rebuffering (HD choke!) at that kind of speed. Is that an asynchronous connx (different speeds down and up)?
Posted By: filmmaker ben Re: Anyone running a Roku box? - 01/10/12 04:08 AM
What BTL calls the 1MB connection (~$125 US/month) is 100KB/s download, 50KB/s upload. It's fast enough for most types of streaming, but Netflix has always been pretty buggy. Again though, I won't be trying for the HD stream -- even SD would be great. I'll write an update this weekend and let you know if it works.
Posted By: Bear Re: Anyone running a Roku box? - 01/10/12 06:28 PM
FB,

It just occurred to me, are you streaming NetFlix with an American Netflix account?
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board