AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye

Posted By: NorCal Hunter

Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/20/12 08:12 PM

Hello Belize, I am coming in for a vacation March 25th (from Northern California) and am hoping I can get some information on spearfishing while I am there. I know I need to get a fishing license from Belize, and spearguns are legal (NO SCUBA Spearfishing) but I'm a little confused if its legal and/or where I can hook up with other fellow spearfishers. I'm not gunning for anything huge, I just don't fish from a pole. I am an avid Red Abalone hunter and spearfisher. Can anyone assist me or point in me in the right place? Thank you in advance!
Posted By: elbert

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/20/12 09:33 PM

We're all a little confused also :-)
Lionfish invasion has relaxed the rules a little. Divers are carrying spear guns nowadays and killing as many as possible while on dives.
We have specially designed small guns for that special purpose.
In theory tourist snorkellers should not be shooting fish however no one seems to enforce the rule and you'll find operators that send tourist out for the purpose of spearfishing on the reef.
You can purchase a spear gun at Captain Sharks Supply but if you bring one with you your probably get nabbed at the airport.
Your sure to find tour guides that will take you and some Hotel/Resort front desks will book you on a spearfishing trip.
Spearfishing is a sport and regulated in some countrys, sadly not here.
I personally would like to see the ban on shooting tourist with spearguns lifted.:-)
Posted By: Bear

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/20/12 10:08 PM

Elebrt is there a source for those little LF spears on the island, you know the Fools ones?
Posted By: krehfish

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/20/12 10:19 PM

is there a "ban on shooting tourist with speargun"? Sorry, but I found that funny.
Posted By: Renters Blues

spearfishing - 02/20/12 10:30 PM

PM sent

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/20/12 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bear
Elebrt is there a source for those little LF spears on the island, you know the Fools ones?

Captain Sharks

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/20/12 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by krehfish
is there a "ban on shooting tourist with speargun"? Sorry, but I found that funny.

I have mixed emotions about tourist with spear guns, its a legitimate sport and I'm sure some serious guys in it, i wouldn't want to be negative towards them, but imagine giving the tourist population spearguns and letting them loose on the reef. They shoot the slow colourful stuff and then miss and destroy coral if they don't miss and shoot another tourist, just a sick nightmare.
If it where regulated and enforcible it could be great to have it here but that's the problem, nothing is regulated and enforcible around here that I've noticed.

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/21/12 02:30 AM

Lionfish Gigging
Posted By: SFJeff

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/21/12 03:55 AM

...imagine giving the local population spearguns and letting them loose on the reef. Oh, wait...

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/21/12 05:27 AM

...imagine giving the local population spearguns and letting them loose on the reef. Oh, wait..
....well if they'd hit the Lionfish con gusto that'd be a population I'd relish seeing decimated...
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/21/12 02:11 PM

I've heard through the years that one should not to go spearfishing in late afternoons ....... that is when certain not so nice sharks feed and could be attracted to your activities.

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/21/12 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
I've heard through the years that one should not to go spearfishing in late afternoons ....... that is when certain not so nice sharks feed and could be attracted to your activities.

They are definitely drawn in to the smell Diane. One late afternoon last Nov my wife went to look over the edge of our dock in search of the really nice sized eagle ray that had been visiting..."Oh look there are some really big fis....AAHHHHH!!"... surprise!!

Not just one, but two really nice big ones. One bumped a dock piling working the bottom and shook the hell out of it. We'd been fishing earlier and cleaned our catch at the dock's end; guts and carcasses in the water for the rays, bugs, and whatever..."whatever" left after about an hour and have not been back.

I've since moved fish cleaning to less "public areas"...for as Maggie O'Hooligan in Caddy Shack once said, "Ahhh Gaad dats all I need..."
Posted By: ALC

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/23/12 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bear

Awesome!
Posted By: ecodiver

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/24/12 04:34 AM

if you contact Jim at 662 9666 he can get you a FOOLS spear.
and maybe even a bag

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/24/12 03:23 PM

I bought one and they are really unique, lots of elements of creative design.
It works good but i had to re-enforce it with some extra screws.
Posted By: ecodiver

Re: Spearfishing Information for Ambergris Caye - 02/26/12 04:44 PM

The FOOLS have designed a Catch bag called Lionfish Jailer it is the safest bag on the market today. a bit on the expensive side though
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board