AmbergrisCaye.com Home

massage therapists on the island?

Posted By: Anonymous

massage therapists on the island? - 08/08/00 10:00 AM

i would love to have massage while on vacation. Are there any therapists that will come to my hotel? what would it cost? thanks!
Posted By: Denny Shane

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/08/00 12:21 PM

Hi Jane...
Just ask at the front desk... they'll arrange for one to come from town. It use to run about $40-$50. But make sure they are going to get one from TOWN.
Posted By: Sandcrab

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/08/00 12:44 PM

Two I know of that were operating in Feb this year.

A masseuse named Wendy (I think) operates out of an office in the lobby entrance to the Sunbreeze Hotel. She charged me $50 or $60 US for a deep tissue body massage that lasted for about 1 hour. Tel: 2191 (Sunbreeze) or from the US and Canada call 1(800)688-0191.

The other masseuse, Vicki operates from the office of Dr. carlos Villatoro (Naturopathic) located at the Island Plaza on Barrier Reef Drive across from Fido's. Tel: 3419

Both will come to your hotel room. A great way to pamper yourself. Enjoy.

**Jim
Posted By: Jenn

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/08/00 02:05 PM

I think the masseuse at Sunbreeze is named Anne. Does that sound right?
Posted By: Sandcrab

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/08/00 02:11 PM

Thanks Jenn...
You're right on the nose. I think maybe it's oldtimer's disease or fuzzy brain. Whatever, I remember now that you've jarred me back to "normal". I wonder who Wendy is...????

Yes, it is Anne at the Sunbreeze. I believe she is a Canadian and trained in England. I guess I'm taking another flyer trying to remember the info again...right?
**Jim

[This message has been edited by Sandcrab (edited 08-08-2000).]
Posted By: pab

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/08/00 03:49 PM

Hey Jane - I'm actually replying to a question from another post, but you'll probably check this one for sure. You asked for my opinion about JE. Overall, I really enjoyed the week spent there and the service received. Rooms were cleaned each day, always had TP (that can be a problem in 3rd world countries), and beds were adequate. All of the resort and dive staff were helpful and fun. As long as you treat people with respect and don't be too demanding (i.e., a spoiled American) they'll be pleasant back.

The only downside is the distance from town, and access is by boat only. Water taxi cost $5.00 US each way ($10 RT) per person last year. If you go to town only 3-4 nights then it's not too bad. The ride between town and JE is very pleasant with the wind rushing, gentle up/down of boat, and the billions and billions of stars you'll see!!

Please do me one small favor (it's kind of goofy). If Susan is still there, ask her if she remembers the guy (I was there the same week you'll be there a year ago) who greeted her each morning at breakfast by saying "If you buy the Belize, you build the Belize" and did a little dance. That's a jingle played over the radio and she got a kick out of it when I repeated it to her.

Anyway, hope you have a great time and look forward to your trip report!

Paul

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/08/00 09:45 PM

thanks everyone! sounds like you could all use a nice massage!! [Linked Image] it is by far my favorite pampering thing. paul - i have heard of susan from some others as well and i must meet her, everyone loves her! i am the antithesis of ugly american, and a little attention and a smile is all i need. oh, and, of course, a massage....
----
i wonder if ann would do a massage on the beach or my balcony overlooking the ocean...i saw that in a magazine once (i think it was bali) and i thought, "that would be heaven". what do you think?
Posted By: CHOOCHOO

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/08/00 10:23 PM

Jane;

In your initial topic post we have noticed that you used the word therapist without an adjective to completely describe what kind. Many of us who are in SP frequently are a little nervous about the word "therapist" or "therapy". Just kidding.

Maybe I'll splurge on SWMBO and have her drop by the Sunbreeze for an hour's worth of punching, pummeling, slapping, and twisting often referred to as "massage". Ick. She likes that sort of indulgent thing, and I can wait at BC's for the revitalization..
Posted By: Debbie

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/08/00 10:28 PM

GO FOR IT!!! I did it in Mexico and it's definatley a MUST DO. Why didn't I think of this on my vacation to San Pedro????????????
Will just have to do it next time. ENJOY!!
Posted By: chicke

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/09/00 03:48 PM

Note to Choochoo, if you get SWMBO a massage, I bet for at least a day it will be YOU-WMBO, LOL. A good massage will turn anyone into a big puddle o'happy.

[This message has been edited by chicke (edited 08-09-2000).]
Posted By: Chloe

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/09/00 06:09 PM

Choochoo you are just TOO funny! Laugh

Personally I am so relaxed in SP, that is the last place on earth that I would need a massage. I would be so limp, they would have to carry me back to my room. The stress at home is when I need a massage, and therapy. I find snorkeling to be relaxing looking at all those beautiful fish, but if I did not snorkel, then I could use the massage.

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/10/00 03:33 AM

ah chloe, you obviously don't have two preschoolers at your home. here i might get 4 whole hours to enjoy after a massage here, and that's only if hubby babysits (we take turns on that one). there, i might really get to enjoy it longer, helps maintain that "happy place" feeling. the cherry on top, as it were. [Linked Image]

choochoo - what exactly are you implying???

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/10/00 06:53 PM

ps - choochoo, you have to try the "new age" massages, no pounding or pummelling, even hubby goes twice as often than i do (he would say cause he earns a paycheck and i dont), jerk! they dim the lights and play whale songs or some such thing. the footrub and feeling of oil between my toes is the best! i go every birthday and christmas. when i did work, i went once a month...that was living!(darn kids get in the way of everything!)

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/10/00 08:37 PM

Jane-

SWMBO routinely does the massage thing each summer when we take a little "bike trip" out to Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico. Last year she fell sound asleep while being pummeled and twisted in Moab, Utah. In most civilized countries the same activties that these massages consist of constitutes felonious assault. Ouch!

Give me the $50, I'll go to one of the island adult beverage purveyors, have several Smurf's (equal parts vodka and gin, with drop or two of blue curacao). I CAN assure you that at the end of the hour I will be more relaxed than she. MUCH MORE! Of course I will make absolutely no sense, but that has been an existing personality trait for years.

[This message has been edited by CHOOCHOO (edited 08-10-2000).]

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/11/00 02:52 AM

you are too funny, i'm cracking up!! i have never fallen asleep, that would be wasting money! however, i've never gotten hungover from a massage (i'm not the finest drinker).and oh, you take a bike trip like that and call volleyball strenuous? who's the iron man here, you or me? (or swmbo?)although, here in BEAUTIFUL BUCKS COUNTY PA, i rode 20 miles a few weeks up and down the (locally)famous new hope canal. i was proud...and could have used a massage!

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/11/00 03:48 AM

If I was a gambling woman, I would bet that ChooCHCoos "Bike Trip" was on a motercycle not a 10 speed!! LOL

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/11/00 04:42 AM

gee (embarrassed) hadn't even thought of that! it makes much more sense now...laugh.

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/11/00 11:53 AM

OK, Chicke. You are too clever. Obviously my penchant for anything that uses huge amounts of fossil fuel is exposed (boats, vehicles, etc). And no, it is NOT a Honda with headphones, helmets, and so forth.

I have been told by SWMBO that I WILL have one of those massage things next week. There goes an hour of perfectly good mischief making.

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/11/00 12:10 PM

hey choochoo, think anne will give us a group rate if we book together, that could be mischief forming...(oh now it is sounding dirty!)ha ha just kidding, of course. (or am i, are you good looking? like a movie star?)
i guess you would have to drink your drink thru a straw while having a massage...that could be tricky...

gonna have one on the beach too?

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/12/00 07:42 AM

hey, maybe we can do this at the bbq! we'll all line up on massage tables and eat at the same time, a new fad! think anne would mind?

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/13/00 03:54 AM

Hey ChooChoo, lets see just how clever Iam...LOL
Would that "bike ride" happen to make its way thru Sturgis?

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/13/00 12:33 PM

Chicke,

VERY clever. Done that on our way to Billings to visit friends we met in SP, but the summer trip has been to Vail, southern Utah and New Mexico the last four years. (SWMBO says if she wants to see Harley Davidsons she'll just go into the garage. Huge crowds of the "beasts" have no particular attraction to her any longer. She is perfectly content being out west where we don't another vehicle for hours)

The thought of me laboring up and down hills on ten-speed is too funny to contemplate. (Sorry, Jane)

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/13/00 04:13 PM

cc - no offense taken! don't know what i was thinking...

frank is pretty active, especially running and biking (on a bicycle), and i should have known you OLDER FOLK prefer those loud things on two wheels like our OLDER harley friends here !!!

we did have a honda 150 Aero scooter a couple of years back (i dropped it my first time out)

Re: massage therapists on the island? - 08/14/00 03:19 AM

Note to ChooChoo, we have friends who also no longer do Sturgis due such excessive mammary sightings. One friend went blind after the 99 run.LOL My last trip to Daytona in 97 taught me. Somethings need to stay under a HogsBreath t-shirt. LOL

PS Hope you guys are having a blast!!

[This message has been edited by chicke (edited 08-13-2000).]
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board