problem that is effecting our town
and tourism industry.

San Pedro Town Council, sptb@btl.net
San Pedro Sun, sanpdrosun@btl.net
Ambergris Today, ambertoday@btl.net

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 08-24-2000).]
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/23/00 03:07 PM

I noticed the improvement of traffic flow, and safety, since San Pedro has one way streets. When walking we learned to walk in a straight line quickly, no zig zagging because you can not hear the golf carts, bicycles coming up behind you.
Can't you just see a monorail running a loop around Ambergris. (Disneyworld/land)
Posted By: CHOOCHOO

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/24/00 12:32 PM

Marty,
I hate to do anything to besmirch our wonderful island..we just returned last night from 11 days..and the traffic is worse than ever. We have been going for many years and this topic is on everyone's mind, except of course the island "drivers". The trucks and private vehicles have become extremely aggressive, something we had not seen before. The taxis are a little better.

Nothing will change until the traffic control officers begin to bite the bullet and ticket and fine their relatives. (Something we can't see happening soon.) There is a road across the back from Caribbean Depot towards the airport...putting the dump trucks, flat beds, etc. back there would be a good start. There was some talk among the residents that not much will change until the gov. officials from BZ City come over and take a look at the mess and make something positive happen. (Once again don't everyone hold their breath)
I don't how you saw it a few weeks ago, but we felt unsafe on the roads for the first time the last two weeks.

[This message has been edited by CHOOCHOO (edited 08-24-2000).]

[This message has been edited by CHOOCHOO (edited 08-24-2000).]
Posted By: Marty

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 03:22 AM

I never felt unsafe, but i certainly notice that the number of vehicles continues to increase.....

We used that back road quite a bit this time.

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 08-24-2000).]
Posted By: Jericco

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 03:48 PM

Marty...my husband and I were slightyly upset over the traffic when we visited last year since I got hit by a car swerving to avoid a bicycle. (Nothing serious.) This year we are returning for two weeks and are up in the air as to whether or not we will use the bicycles provided us with our rental unit. As a tourist I can only say that the traffic does take some getting used to!

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 03:57 PM

Jerrico,

If you thought it was bad last year just wait until this year. There is a reason that the town board is looking for input, principle among the reasons is that it is darn near out of control. We had never seen AGGRESSIVE drivers before this last trip. My child bride and I have agreed that in October we will walk the beach side to town, or use taxis. There was also a vehicle related tragedy on Middle Street a few weeks back (probably during the time that you were there, Marty.)

[This message has been edited by CHOOCHOO (edited 08-25-2000).]
Posted By: Jericco

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 04:08 PM

choochoo....I agree with you about the beach walking routine. We did that all the time, built up the old calf muscles and avoided being run down! It really is a problem and the width of the streets doesn't help. I personally think they should adopt the Bermuda remedy and only allow bikes and golf carts. After all, how big is the place!!!!
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 05:44 PM

Has anyone told the chief about the "quota system" used in the US for traffic enforcement. Couldn't ya just imagine a radar trap behind every palm tree. Better yet, issue everyone a radar gun and a ticket book upon arrival at the island. I'm sure the tourist industry in San Pedro could do wonders with this one. Hell, throw in a badge for good measure and a spiffy bobby hat. I kind of think the tourist could do a better job of enforcing the traffic laws than the police anyway. This would bring a new meaning to the world of Tourist Police.

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 06:14 PM

Bill,
I assume you are refering to the latest gig..the "Tourism Police", checking the guides and dive shops for the right papers. Beautiful! (How 'bout the Tourism Policeman who got into that little intoxicated struggle outside the Bare Foot Iguana with another drunken customer last week? Gives new meaning to "Crowd Control" San Pedro style..they watch too much TV from LA.)

Radar guns would be good, if the Tourism Police (see above) had had one he would have just sterilized the other guy, not removed "anything". Can they read as slow as the "posted" limits 10 or 15 mph.
Please take note that under every speed limit sign is a town board endorsed religious tenet. IT'S NOT HELPING THEM SLOW DOWN! They can't read the damn thing when they careeing around the corner , brake pedal finished, flat to the floor.

Woody's newest two "Sleeping Policeman" are good, but the bigger trucks just blow over them and make a joke of trying to loosen them up. The ropes are so damn big that we literally had to give the cart a shove to get over them twice. We saw two cars sittings there during the week with flats from hitting those big 'ol ropes so hard. That was pretty funny.
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 06:28 PM

Traffic on this island truly is a problem!! Not only are we overloaded with drivers that appear not to have an ounce of driving knowledge or common sense....but the pollution from the exhausts of run-down, poorly maintained trucks is getting out of hand. I was behind one this morning on my way to work and I literally had to pull off the road and let him go on ahead. I thought I was leaving all that smog behind in the states! Too bad they couldn't rig the trucks to burn Malathion....then they could work and kill the mosquitoes at the same time! Hmmmm? [Linked Image]
With the growth and construction that is going on right now....I understand the need for heavy vehicles to move the supplies. I just wish there was a better way for them to move around in town so they don't clog up the traffic flow and make unGodly noise and pollution. It is true the police do absolutely nothing to control speeding violations...or any other for that matter. Until they do....drivers will continue to drive exactly how they are right now...why change? That is the area that needs to be improved. It's time for the police force to recognize the problem and do their part in helping to maintain safe streets.
IT'S THEIR JOB!! Make sure you mention that to the Town Board when you write.

Travel Club Resorts International http://www.travelclub.net
Posted By: pescador

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 07:13 PM

You folks have really bummed me out. Everything I have read up until now made this place sound like a paradise. I was assuming that I could avoid crowds by coming in mid-Sept. but since people are getting hit by cars in Oct. I guess I was mistaken. I live in Austin TX. and the last thing I was expecting from San Pedro was I-35 like conditions. So much for that. I'm glad that I have only purchased my flights into BZE. I may now reconsider and possibly go to Caye Caulker instead.
Posted By: lmarquis

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 07:21 PM

Since I have never been to AC, but will be there in November, is the traffic only bad in the main part of town? We are staying about a mile south of town. Is it a problem out near Banana Beach and those areas?

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 07:24 PM

pescador....no need to be down or afraid about San Pedro. When we talk about traffic here...it isn't in comparison to even a small town in the states. As long as you look where your going and stay to the sides of the road....you should be quite safe. [Linked Image]
All of Belize is more populated than it used to be....even Caye Caulker. I think the comparison comes from those of us that knew it when it truly was a sleepy little village. Even 5 yrs. ago...there was much less traffic. But with progress and construction.....comes traffic. Please don't think of it as an interstate though....that will take another 20 yrs. [Linked Image]

lmarquis.....yes..it is mostly the town proper that is congested. Out in that area, there is little traffic...and lots of quiet!

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 08-25-2000).]
Posted By: pescador

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 07:31 PM

So is The Palms far enough from town to avoid the sounds and smells of traffic.

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 07:49 PM

Pescador;

Not to worry, even Eden had that little trouble with the apple thing. "Paradise" is still in pretty good shape.

Sandshaker has hit it...it used to be a sleepy little burg, but now it's growing up. The Town Board needs to get the pickups and dump trucks under control, but they can't get the Traffic Control officers to, in most cases, ticket their own relatives.

This is a real unusual situation. Even the locals were talking about the driving when we there.

We're all just a little spoiled. If you want to get me really going let's talk about the commercial barges on the reef side of the island. (No..let's not.)

Sandshaker-Those long pieces of re-rod sticking out of the third floor of the building next door to you...are those new communications devices for Harmouch? Surely you don't think their going to throw up that forbidden fourth floor.

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/25/00 08:00 PM

LOL....good grief ......who knows!
I'm just waiting anyday for one of them to get tangeled in all the electrical lines that hang on the balconies of the street side as decorations. That outta light things up! Very poor planning if you ask me...LOL
who would want a room with a transformer as your view????
I just wish they would hurry up and get the darn thing built!!!....GRRRRR....LOL

Good point about the barges....we have run into many problems trying to get our construction supplies up to Basil Jones. Right now, this is the only way to go. Fortunately the barge moves well within the reef but can only take less than full loads because the water gets very shallow up in that area and they end up breaking a prop.
I had heard rumour that they were thinking about dredging out the lagoon side a bit so the barge could move freely on the back side of the island. This would be better...as it would keep this type of traffic away from the reef side of the island. I haven't heard any more concerning this rumour though.
For right now.....we don't have much of a choice I'm afraid. [Linked Image]

Travel Club Resorts International http://www.travelclub.net

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/26/00 12:07 AM

Be grateful that you do not encounter Roller
bladers on the streets in San Pedro. That is a real plus. LOL

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/26/00 08:01 AM

The dump trucks, pick-ups and taxi's aren't so bad, ya can hear them before they hit ya. I was walking, innocently, over in San Pedrito, when a young lady ran me over on her bicyle from behind. And she wasn't even blonde, Little Miss Sifting Sands.

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/26/00 08:21 AM

Chloe: The only roller bladder I ever saw was Marty skating into town on the beach. He seemed ta be having problems getting out of low gear.

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/26/00 05:17 PM

Choochoo: Been trying git to da bottom of this riot at Barefoot Iguana's. I heard that after to dust had settled, they found Barefoot Skinny on the bottom of the pile, clinging for dear life to his tip jar.

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/26/00 08:58 PM

That was Pisano..he'd already strong armmed that brute Skinny and was making for the door at mach speed. Good grief does the ol' bird look better with a shave and a haircut. Not a lot better but better. Pretty much smells the same, though. I loved his latest scam with the water bottle deposits. THAT was funny!
Posted By: jesus

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/27/00 02:01 AM

you'd think that all the loudest complainers about traffic problems would have some good constructive ideas. But no, just silly jokes.Sad.

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/27/00 03:02 AM

Jesus, we would love to hear your constructive ideas, to improve the traffic problem.

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/27/00 04:09 AM

Better yet, Jesus, give us some good jokes about the traffic.

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/27/00 11:58 AM

Jesus,
Your comments is well taken...however if you read the early posts you will note several suggestions such as moving the heavy stuff to the back road and actually enforcing the existing regulations you will realize that this did indeed start out on a serious, constructive tone.

BUT....getting anything like that done in SP sometime in the next 10-20 years is, well, somewhat humorous in itself. Therefore the jesting commences to give the real tone of San Pedro...it's just one heck of a lot of fun.

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/27/00 04:34 PM

Bill and Choochoo said it best, but I have noticed, San Pedro draws the fun loving tourist also. It seems we can have the best of fun, with the basics sand sun water food and rum, we do not need big impressive attractions. It would be great to work out the traffic situation for all, here I go with fun, how much has the traffic light helped? lol
Posted By: Debbie

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/28/00 03:07 PM

I sent all my suggestions, observations and ideas directly to the town council as was requested in the original message. Were we not supposed to do that??????
Debbie
Posted By: elisa

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/28/00 04:21 PM

I have not been to AC yet....will be there in 5 days...I decided on AC because it does not have the typical busy traffic that you see in developed resort areas. I would think the majority of people that come to AC appreciate this. However...what do the locals think? They live there? I come from a place with dirt roads and no traffic in Norway.I now live in the city. I deal with pollution and traffic everyday. I guess I've learned to appreciate what I used to have...but I did not think this way when I drove on dirt roads everyday.Thats all....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/29/00 01:41 PM

guys, you have given all these new-bies the idea there is like U.S. traffic here! it is not at all the same thing as going to the caribbean islands (regarding traffic) not to belittle the islands concerns, just attention to the 1st time visitors. they are talking as opposed to several years ago when there were NO CARS OR TRUCKS AT ALL, but now there are several included construction vehicles. the roads are not paved, but there are many more carts and vans now than i saw in 1993, and never saw a taxi back then. was there last week and i had no problems walking though town, very confident even when alone. i did not bike or cart it, and like here, walked the right side of shoulder. NO PROBLEM, but watch behind you now and then. as for pollution, maybe some sand or dirt flying up is all! it is an improverished town (though happy) and most people, i think, cant even afford the golf carts. dont' worry. i agree with choochoo though, if it gets you where you are going, walk the beach, its cooler anyhow.

again, i understand the town's concern, it has increased quite a bit, but to the new visitor, you will laugh at what they are calling traffic. it isnt quite what you think. hope i haven't offended anyone.

ps - marty - if the town is concerned about tourist opinions (maybe not!), the trash and sewage, aside from front street but especially around the boatyard area, could be addressed. staying at JE north of the cut i had to catch my water taxi there often. friendly smiling folks but kinda dirty, smelly area. bothered me much more than the traffic. again, please, no offense intended.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Town Board wants traffic comments - 08/29/00 01:44 PM

p.s.s.- north of cut where i was (journeys end) traffic is non-existant, as is pollution. loved the beauty and nature of it.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board