AmbergrisCaye.com Home
In october, my wife and I will be staying on ambergris caye, most likely just north of the bridge for 6 months. This will be our second time doing this, loved the first time and have been aching to get back. We had bikes when we were there, and that was fine for getting around, but picking up soda and water from the distributor is hard on a bike, and groceries too. So does any one know of any way to get ahold of a golf cart without having to pay over $1000 USD a month for it? That seems to be what cholos and island carts wants to charge per month. I'm not a resident though. Yet. This may be the trip where we stay for 12 months so that we can apply for residency. But it would be nice to have a cart curing the 6 to 12 month for those times we need it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
How about having someone deliver or buy yourself a backpack.
Beer, water, and soda can be ordered and dropped at your dock. Coastal Express runs up and down all day/all night. Neighbors are often nice enough to let you borrow the cart for a day. Village Market is across the street from Reef Village. Mata Grande groceries and Captain Morgan's Store is further north. Agua Dulce delivers by road north of the bridge. Taxi's run as far as Terraza's, it seems that any other vehicle does too...
Why not buy a used cart?
Got to get a permit first and that might be hard, possibly impossible, for someone just on vacation.
Staying on Ambergris for a year and can't buy a used cart? Wowser!
Thanks for all the advice everyone. We did frequent village market a lot when we were there, and i'll definitely look into the delivery. And yes, i would love to buy a cart, but i know how the town council is about permits, and because i'm not a resident, i won't be able to get a permit. i'll make due somehow. seeya soon ambergris!
To my limited knowledge, you do not have to be a resident to get a golf cart permit. I wasn't when I got mine, but trust me, you will be spending half, if not more, of your vacation in frustration going through the process. You have to obtain a Belize driver's license and then..........."don't stop the carnival" begins. Don't know how it is now, but it was that way when I got my golf car permit about four years ago. Made at least a dozen or so trips to the permit office and that's when they were located in the DFC area....hell you needed a Cat D5 to travel those roads back then.
Yeah, the Town Council has really limited the number of golf cart and vehicle permits over the years. That's why there is so little traffic on the island!

Gimme a break!
Village market will deliver for free. They sell beer, water ect. and they do cost a little more but not very much. Certainly not as much as renting a cart. That should work well for the heavy items you buy.

If you have a bike you can carry the other items that they don't have.

Whether a person owns a golf cart or rents one, it has the identical effect on traffic and congestion. If they want less traffic, have less people. I wrote an article in the paper years ago when there was a talk of a moretorium on permits for golf carts, especially rental companies. The title was "People Equal". It makes no difference how many golf carts the rental companies have. What matters is how many tourists are renting them. So, if they want less golf carts running around town, limit the tourists or tell them they can't drive golf carts. Yea, right. Of course the taxi drivers would like it if more tourists took taxis, but I would rather a tourist be driving a golf cart than riding in a speeding taxi. Or provide the infrastucture to support the number of people they want to come. It is the people that equal the traffic and the lack of proper roads and traffic flow that causes the congestion.
And, that is not the fault of the tourist that Belize spends so much money trying to attract.
$1k for the month? That sounds to me like retail from their rate charts...is it? Have you emailed them and asked for a cash monthly rate? just askin'
We have lived at Grand Caribe (2 miles north of town) since last August with bicycles only. Sure, it's inconvenient at times, but it can certainly be done -- and for much less cost than renting a golf cart for 6 months. As others have said, the grocery store north of the bridge will deliver for heavy/large items. For everything else, carry in your bike baskets and backpack. We brought a set of two "grocery baskets" with us for my husband's bike that fits on a rear rack and allows us to carry nearly everything we need. We do all our shopping via bikes. These are worth their weight in gold!

Wald Bicycle Rear Baskets
I happened to be a Polo's one day (Yeah golf cart repair) when there was a meeting of the three major golf cart rental owners. Seems that mayor Elsa had issued a permit for a relative to bring in a bunch of new rentals while these guys were denied.

As rough as he was, when Milo Paz ran the permit issuing he kept he big stuff off the island. It rook one year for me to get a permit. This was a pain in the @$$ but when the list reached 65 there was enough pressure to issue permits to those of us who lived here.
After that (I think It was when UDP came into office) a whole series of people took turns and it seems each got all their friends and relatives passed - that's when the trucks started coming and got bigger and bigger. Now they can barely make it down middle street and cant' make the turns in one move.
However, I've had to learn we can't un-ring a bell.
I don't know about a permit, but you have to be a resident to get a Belize drivers license.
Originally Posted by ctb
I don't know about a permit, but you have to be a resident to get a Belize drivers license.

Not so!
Loansum-Al K
Are you saying you can get a Belize drivers licence even if you are not a resident?

Surendra
I was went through this a few years ago... Things may have changed since the elections... In order to own a scooter or cart one must have a drivers license to get a permit/registration. To become a licensed driver you MUST be Belizean or a PR of Belize.
Do not need to be a resident or PR to get license in Belize.
And you have to live in Belize for 12 months before you can apply for residency, but even after you apply until it is granted you can not leave Belize for over 14 days total. 14 days in the first 12 months before you apply and then 14 days total until you gain residency. Some manage to skirt the rules but that is the basics.
We can help you get a golf cart at a reduced rate and can facilitate the successful purchase/long term lease also.
Originally Posted by BeBelize
We brought a set of two "grocery baskets" with us for my husband's bike that fits on a rear rack and allows us to carry nearly everything we need. We do all our shopping via bikes. These are worth their weight in gold!

Yup, and nobody, but nobody is keeping up with you two on your bikes!! Double advantage, no spend on pricey maintenance on a golf cart AND keep fit! Kudos Emily & Barry!
Save money on tolls over the bridge as well.... cool
Originally Posted by MathieusDeli

Yup, and nobody, but nobody is keeping up with you two on your bikes!! Double advantage, no spend on pricey maintenance on a golf cart AND keep fit! Kudos Emily & Barry!

Thanks! Biking on this island is a breeze compared to the hills we used to crank up in North Carolina. grin

Emily
Surenda, I have one in my wallet.....I do own a condo here....don't know if that made a difference.
My wife and I are planning on relocating to the area in september. Wondering if we should purchase bikes here in the states and have them shipped to the island or should we just wait and purchase some there? Any input would be appreciated.
we will definitely just try to work with the delivery and maybe a friendly neighbor will loan out a cart when we need to move anything big! It's in the plans to eventually stay long enough to get residency, but until then, we will make due.

and to answer your question khsmith5899, its definitely better to just buy one in ambergris, and you will avoid paying import duty and probably pay less overall. We paid about $150 USD each brand new from castillos hardware store for the bikes we had. They are the nice big beach cruisers with big tires and one speed. they also have serial numbers on the frame, so you can identify if they are lifted. (if it is found).
Thanks for the advise cayemaster. Which forum should I be looking at for general questions about relocating to the island?
I would just buy a bike here. Around $150 US each. You can sell them at the end of your stay. Buy locks, lights and basket. Take note of the serial numbers too.

we rent from Choles when we are there for 3 months. 600.00 US a month. Might be less for 6 month. They have a web site if you want to ask them.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board