AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: lmarquis Mango Coladas - 09/11/00 07:37 PM
Someone told me there is a great place (bar) to go which is upstairs, near the Yacht Club and has a panoramic view of the island, not to mention great mango coladas. Does anyone know the name of it?
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Mango Coladas - 09/11/00 08:51 PM
It's about 25 feet south of the Yacht Club entrance in the Island Convention center. It's upstairs, has a sign out front about drink specials, but that's as far as we have ever gotten.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 02:20 AM
The bar you're thinking of is at the top of a 3 story flight of stairs. Right across the street is a ground-level bar at the Hideaway.I've never been up the stairs...
Posted By: Sandcrab Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 01:36 PM
What? No elevator! Jeez, I wouldn't want to be negotiating three flights of stairs after an extended R&R session. No wonder you haven't been up there yet Jesse.

[This message has been edited by Sandcrab (edited 09-12-2000).]
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 03:52 PM
I don't know about Jesse, but the only way I'll go UP those three flights of stairs and have drink is if they put six mattresses at the bottom. Thank you no, I'll confine myself to the "view" from the Hideaway. Imarquis, if you happen to venture up would you please take some pictures.
Posted By: lmarquis Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 04:11 PM
Yes, I will definitely take pictures, and I do plan on at least checking it out (and, of course, trying one of their mango coladas!).

Laurie
Posted By: Chloe Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 06:40 PM
Waiting for Imarquis' pictures.
I suggest you make it your first bar stop of the day/night. The drink does sound yummy, and the view should be fantastic. Enjoy.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 08:28 PM
Imarquis: Holler when you start back down the stairs, the Hideaway Crew will catch you. Those coladas are sometimes called "colliders"!
Posted By: CHOOCHOO Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 09:24 PM
You know Jesse, we could string up one of those rope/pulley things from the top floor of the convention building to the doorway or pool at the Hideaway.. Put a rescue sling on it and THERE YOU GO! Oh yeah, and one of those little rubber "oogah" horns (left over from the original attempt at equiping the golf carts) so that as you streaked across Coconut Drive towards the cozy confines of the Hideaway you could warn the pickups, taxis, stray dogs (Oops, didn't mean that), and bicycles.

The view would pretty damn good for the first second or so too. The last few feet could be a problem.
Posted By: lmarquis Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 09:54 PM
After I have been listening to you guys for months, in great anticipation of my first trip, I hope I don't shake a leg (whoops, break a leg!).
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 10:27 PM
I wholeheartedly agree!
I've been up those stairs several times and was ready for CPR by the time I got to the top. They had really great pina coladas....but they weren't THAT great!
The first time I went up to the 3rd floor...I thought to myself...now who, in their right mind would put a bar 3 stories up and ask drunk people to navigate those stairs back down.
A law suit just beggin' to happen, if you ask me...LOL But then again...that is the place where all the "Sophisticated Travelers" stay....LOL (sorry..that was bad)

I prefer the Hideaway too.....such a relaxed environment and so easy to climb in to! [Linked Image]
Not to mention cheaper....for us "Budget Minded" folks....LOL
Posted By: HolleyinColorado Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 10:41 PM
I went there several times during my stay in AC. In fact, that was the second place we went to to have a drink,(the first being our hotel bar at the Sunbreeze.) The views are great, the breeze is heavenly and bartender Mike makes wonderful pina colada's! Tell him Holley, Randy, Sarah and Julie says hello!
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Mango Coladas - 09/12/00 10:49 PM
Well naturally you mountain folk would like it! Us flatlanders get nosebleeds...
Posted By: SP Daily Re: Mango Coladas - 09/13/00 12:05 AM
CHOOCHOO: I can't wait for you to come down and ride the rescue sling... I'll do the video! That's gonna be GREAT!!!
A few stray dogs might soften your landing.
Oh, about those OOGAH horns... they were outlawed on golf carts 'cause that sound belongs to the traveling tortilla vendors.

[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 09-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 09-12-2000).]
Posted By: lmarquis Re: Mango Coladas - 09/13/00 12:46 AM
Been thinking. . .may just go for the view.
Posted By: Chloe Re: Mango Coladas - 09/13/00 02:00 AM
Imarquis, go on up those stairs and enjoy the view and the drink, and wave to all the lazy guys over at Hideaway bar.
Posted By: Sandshaker Re: Mango Coladas - 09/13/00 05:00 AM
OK Mom...miss smarty pants....you wait.
When you come back....you're going up those stairs....if I have to drag you....LOL
You will re-think joining the lazy crowd at the Hideaway...LOL [Linked Image]
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Mango Coladas - 09/13/00 06:13 AM
Here we go: Bar Hoppers Mono-Rail. String that rope from Victoria House to Journeys End. That should ease the golf cart "dodge-em" cars careening back and forth from one ditch to da other. Only problem would be the occasional Foreign Falling Object. SPLAT
Posted By: Chloe Re: Mango Coladas - 09/13/00 03:24 PM
Okay girl child, you are on, I will climb those stairs to the 3rd floor, huff huff puff
You know I am a tough old bird, big talk from me, with scars from my last fall. on level ground. I like the ideas of monorail, the rope sling, or a buggee cord.
Posted By: lmarquis Re: Mango Coladas - 09/13/00 03:38 PM
I am going to both places!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board