AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking

Posted By: Marty

Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/07/12 02:59 PM

Councilor Kenrick Brackett met with the media on Tuesday, September, 5, 2012, to explain about the recommended vehicle types and sizes. Traffic flow and congestion on the island is in a bad state and Brackett explained that the committee believes that by standardizing the size and type of vehicles being imported into the island the problem can be alleviated, to a certain extent. Below are the recommended sizes that the committee may entertain when applying. This does not mean that the application will be automatically approved and the committee will not entertain applications for vehicles that exceed the following recommended sizes.

Also announced during the meeting was that as of November 15, 2012, only half hour parking will be allowed on Barrier Reef and Pescador Drive. Traffic wardens will be assigned to closely monitor these two main streets to properly implement this new law. As to other options for where businesses and residents can park their vehicles during the working day, there has not been any given by the Town Council.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the Ambergris Today

Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/07/12 05:46 PM

Size recommendations make a certain amount of sense, but I think the 30-minute parking is a mistake - (I for one cannot enjoy a nice lunch in under 30 minutes, and when we have a meeting at the Town Board what are we to do - run out a few minutes after it starts?)
This is going to cost a lot of money to enforce.
Posted By: champion

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/07/12 06:05 PM

Good place for all those old penny nickle dime parking meters from the US. Perfect place for us to use up our change. HA!
Posted By: Phil

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/07/12 08:23 PM

What about the cross Streets between Front and Middle Street? Are they to take all of the all day long parking for both Streets?
Posted By: JZB

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/07/12 11:10 PM

Until they provide a secure parking lot, this could be a problem. Maybe they should sell a certain number of parking permits for front street?
Posted By: chunkyruth

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/07/12 11:40 PM

I think these are just baby steps to a vehicle free Front Street.
Posted By: JZB

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/08/12 04:06 PM

Then they will definately need to provide a safe and convenient parking lot somewhere.
Those that work on front street will spend all day circling around looking for a parking space so they can go to work.
Posted By: Scuba do

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/08/12 04:20 PM

Councilor Brackett has set guidelines long overdue and I am glad to hear of the move, the size of the approved vehicles seem to grow each year, they may not get everything right but at least they have a plan and share it with the community
Posted By: Bear

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/08/12 04:35 PM

I was rather hoping SPTC would set a few rules about exporting more than a few vehicles... whistle
Posted By: Noele McLain

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/08/12 07:31 PM

If you work on front street where do you park?
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/08/12 08:18 PM

Somewhere else. I personally don't get why people park in front of their place of business; it should be for their customers. Back in the old days when I worked in retail you weren't allowed to park your vehicle anywhere near where the customers would park. Just common sense.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/08/12 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wahoo's
If you work on front street where do you park?

EXACTLY! When workers park on front street there is no place for shoppers to park. There was, for the longest time, an oversized golf cart from a resort up north that parked in front of the Lion’s Den taking up space where 3 golf carts could have parked vertically.

May I suggest the town provide an extended size golf cart designated as a FREE shuttle to circle around town from a (to be designated) long term parking lot.

AND I agree - 30 minutes is not long enough - 1 hour would be more reasonable
Posted By: Nobody You Know

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/09/12 01:21 AM

I suppose I should cancel the Crew Cab Dually order...
Posted By: Bear

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/10/12 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nobody You Know
I suppose I should cancel the Crew Cab Dually order...

Not to mention the 5th wheel you usually pull NYK...
Posted By: Marty

Re: Stricter Rules for Importation of Vehicles,Parking - 09/12/12 01:06 PM

SPTCC outlines recommendations on importation of vehicles

The San Pedro Traffic Control Committee is working diligently to curb the problem of traffic congestion in San Pedro. Kenrick Brackett, councilor responsible for traffic, met with the media on Wednesday morning to highlight the types and sizes of vehicles that the committee will entertain for permit approval.

Please note that no application is an automatic approval. However, the committee will ONLY entertain applications of the vehicles specified above. The problem of congestion is an ever present one on the streets of San Pedro and the committee is very much aware of this issue.

As such, the committee has decided on commencing the enforcement of “30-minute parking” on both Barrier Reef and Pescador Drive. The enforcement will commence as early as November 15th, 2012. Taking into consideration the fact that the committee is not in possession of traffic meters, Councilor Bracket hopes to count on the astuteness of his Traffic Wardens to carry out this task. Failure to comply with the 30-minute park regulation will result in being ticketed with a fine ranging from $25 to $50.

The general public is encouraged to learn the various traffic regulations and abide by them. Please be reminded that there are rules, regulations and laws that govern driving in the country and individuals who are found breaking said laws will be liable to charges and possible jail time.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board