AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Dogs, Dogs, Dogs...

Posted By: Nobody You Know

Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 12:34 PM

I'm not trying to revisit the firestorm that surrounded the last dog eradication(ok, maybe a little)but I can tell you I have seen a vastly greater number of stray dogs in the last 2 weeks or so.EVERYWHERE. After the last eradication dogs were scarce for a while. I'm not sure what the numbers for the "roundup" were but apparently it was much less effective. For those of you that were so vehemently and violently opposed to the eradication(mostly people that don't live here)I have a solution. You should be required to adopt, care for, feed and control 3 dogs. Until then I believe it may be time to revisit a humane way to eliminate these animals...
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 01:16 PM

"I'm not sure what the numbers for the "roundup" were but apparently it was much less effective."

If you're not sure then why don't you walk into SAGA and ask instead of coming to an uninformed conclusion?

If you do your research you'll find that eradication doesn't work and what you're seeing is the natural cycle that takes place after an eradication.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 01:25 PM

My informed conclusion is there are too many stray dogs.In your informed conclusion what would be a possible solution?
Posted By: BrusselSprout

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 01:40 PM

The round-ups are continuing. 73 dogs have already been euthanized over the past few months.

Please call SAGA and let them know where you are seeing an increase in stray dogs so that they can target the right areas. And Simon is right...SAGA would be glad to talk to you about it.

http://www.sanpedrosun.com/pets-ani...ent-dog-roundups-and-community-response/
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 01:42 PM

To NoBody:

I see you re:gistered under this name in June.
I don't know where you are looking but I have a few observations myself.
There is not a pack of dogs on either side of the bridge.
As I drove through town yesterday I saw ONE (count it - 1) dog running loose.
I went to Dog Town to look at puppies - there are none. Also the south section is completely empty.
I have been asking around about puppies - no one has any.
I conclude that SAGA and the Town Board have done a wonderful job.
If you personally know of a stray why don't you either 1) capture and turn it in yourself or 2) call SAGA and ask them to do it?

On a personal note: Blackie was killed, slashed by a machete, in August. I am not accusing anyone nor finding fault. Blackie was a true Police Dog. He policed our neighborhood everyday and most of our neighbors loved him. I don't understand what it is about bicycle going fast that causes dogs to chase them. The dogs never seem to chase people who are just cruising. When people sped up the beach Blackie chased thme. We could not break him of this habit.
Pepe is getting old, had early stage heart worm and tic fever all of which he is being treated for. He's too old and tired to chase. LOL
Skippy has been adopted by my new neighbors and is being spoiled in her old age. With Blackie gone Skippy no longer chases although she does bark at intruders.
So here I am feeling naked and wanting a puppy. I know the right one will come to me in the right time but I also believe in the power of words and am putting out to the univer "I WANT A PUPPY."
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 01:49 PM

My informed conclusion is that the only proven method of control is Spay/Neuter/Release in conjunction with educational programs(supported by studies). Eradication and Humane Euthanasia are just ineffective stop gap measures.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 02:10 PM

Simon:
You are rifht but if there is a hole in the dam you need to plug it until the water can be drained away. So to speak. We have had an excellent beginning and I think the education is starting to pay off.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 03:10 PM

As I said, Everywhere. All over town, on the beach, north of the bridge(on the road between Capt. Morgan's and Coco Beach).Including the one that pissed on my cart on Front Street near the park. Including the 4 I saw together on the beach in front of Ruby's yesterday(from the looks of it 3 males and a female getting a lot of attention). So I know, is a pack more than 3? Does the date of my registering have some bearing on my observations? The TC has done an admirable job on this but it has to continue.
Posted By: BeBelize

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 03:38 PM

Harriette,

Please consider adopting an "older puppy" from Saga. There are many sweet dogs there currently ready and waiting for fur-ever homes. Some of these are still under a year old and are thus still puppies, just not the tiny puppy you may be dreaming of.

Dogs currently available for adoption at SAGA

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to Blackie. That is awful. As many times as I've ridden my bike by there, I was never chased. However, I don't think dogs should be running around without supervision -- it can only lead to problems.

And thanks for your response to NobodyYouKnow!

Posted By: collyk

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 05:04 PM

Most of the community, who live in San Pedro, oppose eradication. This is born out by the thousands of residents who signed a petition a few years ago to stop the previous Mayor from going down that road. SAGA and the Town Board have been working together to provide humane euthasnasia for strays in the last few months.

It seems Nobody You Know has some misinformation as he seems to believe that eradication done by the Town Council is humane. It is not. It is done with strychnine and even the WHO opposes this method of stray control as ineffective, bad for the environment and inhumane. This is exactly why the Town Council have teamed up with SAGA to provide a humane alternative and they have been very successful in doing so.

This is in great part due to the cooperation of members of the community, who now realise that rather than complain to the radio station or on message boards (neither of whom offer a stray collection service), the correct procedure is to contact SAGA, let them know where there are stray or nuisance dogs and follow up to make sure that the situation has been dealt with effectively. I would urge those who use the service to remember that SAGA receives no funding from local or national government to do this and relies entirely on donations. So, if this is a service you want (humane euthanasia of stray dogs) it is a service you should use and support.

I would urge Nobody You Know to do things that will actually help him with his issue and help the community by reporting stray dogs to SAGA. Complaining about them on the message board will not help in anyway.

I also happen to speak as someone who indeed has three dogs, so apparently this qualifies me. *cough*
Posted By: klcman

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 05:33 PM

....I also happen to speak as someone who indeed has three dogs, so apparently this qualifies me. *cough*

as well as a great "Pic of the Day"

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 08:35 PM

Nobody:
The reason I commented on the day of your registration is that I have to wonder if you have simply changed your log in.

I don't understand why people insist on being totally anonymous on boards like this. Well - I guess I do understand a little but I don't like it. All of you who list your names are the people I want to listen to; whether I agree with you are not I will listen. You who hide who you are I tend to take with a dose of salts.

About the puppy thing. I have to consider Pepe's feelings. I have to allow him to maintain his alpha dog status. After my experiences with Grita and Miss Kitty I know to be more careful about this. I do go by SAGA and look.
Posted By: Bear

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by klcman
....I also happen to speak as someone who indeed has three dogs, so apparently this qualifies me. *cough*

as well as a great "Pic of the Day"

Just so...
Posted By: kathyw

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 10:16 PM

Nobody, I guess the dog that pissed on your cart said it more clearly than any of us on this board!!

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/13/12 10:18 PM

Of course, I'm the problem...
Posted By: Maya House

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/14/12 12:09 AM

Damn skippy, Kathyw. Well said!!
Posted By: Maya House

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/14/12 12:17 AM

And Harriette...young or old, the universe is going to bring you your perfect next baby!!
Posted By: SnoopysMom

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/14/12 01:15 AM

Responsible dog owners should protect your dog's safety by training / teach it from an early age NOT to attack persons or other dogs while walking on public property. If they are not able or willing to monitor, curtail or restrain their dog's behavior, they should NOT adopt another. THE END
Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/14/12 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by SnoopysMom
Responsible dog owners should protect your dog's safety by training / teach it from an early age NOT to attack persons or other dogs while walking on public property. If they are not able or willing to monitor, curtail or restrain their dog's behavior, they should NOT adopt another. THE END

I totally agree! If a dog is adopted at an older age and is untrainable as to bad behavior, i.e., chasing bikes, pedestrians, or roaming off their property, one must restrain them in their yard and/or home. Beloved dogs who are allowed to chase and roam without oversight and restraint by their owners are at risk of poisoning, injury, etc. when they act a nuisance to others in public. The dogs are not at fault, but rather their negligent owners, no matter how much they love their pets, they are doing a disservice to them and the publc when they are allowed to be loose. No excuses, no matter where in the world you live. I would hope anyone would consider this before adopting a dog.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/14/12 01:56 AM

Where is the "LIKE" button?
Posted By: Beachdog

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/14/12 02:45 AM

Training and restraining is the key! We have two "potlickers" and went through great lengths in training them NOT to chase bikes or carts on the road and beach... If left unsupervised dogs chasing intruders in their "Territory" comes only naturally!
Dogs shouldn't be allowed to 'own' and patrol the road or beach path! It takes responsible owners to set boundaries for their dogs.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/16/12 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScubaLdy

About the puppy thing. I have to consider Pepe's feelings. I have to allow him to maintain his alpha dog status. After my experiences with Grita and Miss Kitty I know to be more careful about this. I do go by SAGA and look.

Harriette, there are two new puppies available for adoption at SAGA. Scroll down on this page and take a look at Sowie and Snowy. Perhaps one would be perfect to add to your household?

Saga Dogs Available for Adoption

Cheers,
Emily
Posted By: klcman

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/16/12 10:47 PM

you need to publish that, Em. It currently is a draft and not visible to the outside world.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/16/12 11:05 PM

I'm so sorry! blush I had actually published the update to the page but pasted the wrong link in here. Please try the link above again, and I apologize for any confusion.

Emily
Posted By: XIIthMan

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/17/12 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nobody You Know
I'm not trying to revisit the firestorm that surrounded the last dog eradication(ok, maybe a little)but I can tell you I have seen a vastly greater number of stray dogs in the last 2 weeks or so.EVERYWHERE. After the last eradication dogs were scarce for a while. I'm not sure what the numbers for the "roundup" were but apparently it was much less effective. For those of you that were so vehemently and violently opposed to the eradication(mostly people that don't live here)I have a solution. You should be required to adopt, care for, feed and control 3 dogs. Until then I believe it may be time to revisit a humane way to eliminate these animals...

I'm pretty sure I know who you are. If I'm right, you should really give it a rest. The whole reason the poison eradication was implemented was because of the perceived effect on tourism, you know, the economic benefit to locals from visitors? This time, leave my wife out of it!

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/17/12 01:28 AM

Emily - Thanks so much. I didn't know about this web site.
Sowie and Snowie are the age and size I am looking for. I'll go take a look tomorrow.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/17/12 01:37 AM

Emily - Thanks so much. I didn't know about this web site.
Sowie and Snowie are the age and size I am looking for. I'll go take a look tomorrow.

Excellent!!! Saga is also on Facebook and posts dogs and cats available for adoption there.

(Let's see if I can get this link right!)
Saga Humane Society Facebook Page

I really hope one of them will work out for you!

Emily
Posted By: PSUhorty

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/17/12 02:43 AM

[sarcasm]Let’s get to the important matters at hand…[/sarcasm]
Em… When are you gonna post another blog entry?!

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/17/12 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
[sarcasm]Let’s get to the important matters at hand…[/sarcasm]
Em… When are you gonna post another blog entry?!

Heheh...sorry about that. blush Between me having a bad cold and zero energy for over a week, and Barry having a pinched nerve for three weeks now, we haven't done a whole heckuva a lot in awhile, so I am having writer's block! I hope to have something up soon. Thanks for reading. cool

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/17/12 03:39 PM

Emily - I called SAGA first thing this morning and Sowie was adopted two weeks ago and Snowy yesterday.
Sowie is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I believe it can happen.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 10/17/12 07:27 PM

Emily - I called SAGA first thing this morning and Sowie was adopted two weeks ago and Snowy yesterday.
Sowie is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I believe it can happen.

So sorry, Harriette. I think the puppies get adopted fast, which is great for them, but I feel for the older dogs. Understand your situation with needing a puppy, though. I'm sure your perfect pup will be waiting for you soon!

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/09/13 10:01 PM

Well, today is the day that my husband was taking his usual walk on the beach North of Palapa when he was attacked by 2 dogs (ownership confirmed to be one of Harriett's newly adopted dog and the other was her worker who brought his dog along for the job) These type if incidences are not "cute", but now we have to determine if the dogs shots are up to date, etc. I shutter to think about a young child that might have been critically hurt as the dogs were targeting the neck area....

Animal ownership is a responsibility that should be taken seriously. It is NOT OKAY and probably the root cause of her dogs have been targeted for poisoning over and over during our time here. This irresponsible behavior has continued long enough! What to do?

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/09/13 10:45 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that Snoopy's Mom especially as I know how much you love dogs. It's heartbreaking when pet owners are irresponsible and give such a bad name to other dogs and dog owners that everyone ends up getting punished.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/09/13 11:19 PM

Oh, that really stinks. SO very sorry this happened to you. We rode bikes by there for 1.5 years with nary a problem, though I had read about people having problems. I know Harriette is on this board, and I also know that she means to do well with her dogs, so I hope she will take swift action to make sure this never happens again.

Dogs should NOT be running free on AC or anywhere, for that matter. The risks are too great!

Emily

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/09/13 11:37 PM

Interesting. As I read back through this thread it seems as though I was the problem, not the dogs.They are still roaming all over town. I have seen many more up north then there was when this thread began...

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/10/13 01:58 AM

Nobody You Know, otherwise known (allegedly) as Nobody You'd Want to Know in any lifetime and in any universe.

You are clearly obsessed with dogs. You have moved to a developing country and you seem to have nothing to contribute to your community except a constant and irritating whine about the state of dog ownership. Given that the USA slaughters approximately 7 million dogs and cats annually due to surplus, I think you might wish to target your venom a bit more realistically. You've moved to a part of a country, where the humane society is not only one of the best and most effective in the country, but which is performing far and beyond many rural areas in the USA, where no humane society exists at all and where overpopulation, irresponsible dog ownership and disease transmission are endemic.

As you've clearly moved from somewhere that is absolutely perfect and to a standard that you choose to hold San Pedro, may I kindly suggest that you return. You obviously have become so obsessed with the dogs of San Pedro that you could not possibly have the quality of life that you deserve here.

Meanwhile, those that care about the truly important issues in San Pedro, education, crime, health, domestic violence and other social issues - including animal welfare - commit their time and energies towards working towards effective solutions, not whining anonymously on a message board and contributing nothing except an annoying and pointless constant stream of complaints with no hint of suggested solutions or no obvious evidence of participating in change.

If you really are so obsessed with dogs that you see them around every corner, may I suggest you make a significant donation to SAGA and spend your weekends volunteering there. Otherwise, I politely request that you simply shut up.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/10/13 12:09 PM

Nobody You'd Want to Know in any lifetime and in any universe,hahahaha.Of course, I'm the asshole because I'm opposed to packs of Feral dogs.Shutting up will not be happening...

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/10/13 12:18 PM

This is the first thing I read this morning and have sent a PM to Snoopys Mom.

I will totally investigate this. I don't know about the 2nd dog but Kitty Two has had all of her shots. Se is supposed to be on a lease when Robert has her. I'm sorry to say that he resists this as he resists having them neutered.

I am happy to report that Pepe has finally stopped chasing.

Nobody - two dogs with at least one person is not a "pack" and certainly not "Ferrell."

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/10/13 12:26 PM

Anyone that denies there is a problem or assails those that point it out are the problem...

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/10/13 02:10 PM

My husband told me that he talked to you after it happened - that's how he knew whose dogs they were.

He is not the dog lover that I am and is quite angry with the dogs themselves. I am upset with the owner.

Yesterday's was not an unusual occurrence - almost EVERY time we walk by with our dog, the large brindle dog (?Robert's) comes charging us. The dogs have changed over the years (due to unfortunate acts like poisoning, machete, etc), but their behavior is the same.

My suggestion is to ask you to please secure your dogs in a fence not just for passerby's safety, but for theirs. It is the humane thing to do.
Posted By: bywarren

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/10/13 02:37 PM

It is unfortunate that animals have to suffer due to the irresponsibility of humans. Pet owners should be held responsible and accountable for the care and actions of their pets.
If a caretaker will not follow your instructions when you put your dog in his care, then you should not put your dog in that situation or get another caretaker that will follow your instructions.
A recent incident happened in Rhode Island where a ladies two dogs attacked a reporter. The lady owner was charged with felony assault. Having a felony on your record is definitely holding the owner responsible and accountable.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/10/13 03:14 PM

I just learned that Martin's, Pat Stiley's worker, black dog is the one who jumped on the man. I will find out if he has had his shots. Robert said he was holding Kitty Two and she barked but was contained. If these are not the fact please let me know.
Snoopy's Mom - can you call me? 622-9808
Posted By: Chica Blanca

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/10/13 03:19 PM

Harriette,
This is unacceptable and there is no excuse. The dog you own was off leash (at large in a public place) and has now bitten a person. This is no only against the law, it's dangerous. Saga HS will be investigating and gathering reports that we will take to the Police, SPTC and Magistrate in this matter. We will go to the Magistrate to seek fines, mandatory neuter and classification of your dog and any dog involved in this attack as vicious (biting a person). It will be up to the Magistrate if your dogs should be removed from your and your caretakers custody as you have not shown a willingness or ability to control or contain them on your property. This has gone on too long with your dogs terrorizing your neighbors and it will stop.

Coleen Creeden
Saga Humane Society, President

Power of magistrate to fine or order destruction of dogs.
-Whenever it appears to a magistrate on complaint being made to him under the Summary Jurisdiction Acts, that a dog is vicious or savage, whether to animals or human beings, or likely to spread any disease or, by reason of its habit of persistent barking or for any other reason, is a nuisance, the magistrate may order the owner of the dog to keep it under proper control or in such a manner that it shall not be a nuisance, or may order the owner to destroy the dog.
• Every person who fails to comply with such order shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding ten dollars $10BZ for each day or part of a day during which the order has not been complied with.
o Prohibition on allowing dogs to be at large-
Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, no owner of a dog shall permit that dog to be at large in any street or place of public resort in any town and any person who contravenes this section is guilty of an offence and is, on summary conviction, liable to a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars $100BZ.
Power to seize dogs in certain cases.-
That dog may be seized by any police officer or dog catcher and the owner of the dog shall in cases (a), (b) and (c) be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding twenty-five dollars: $25 BZ. Provided that a person shall not be convicted under paragraph (a) if he proves that no licence is required in respect of the dog.
• Whenever a dog is seen in a town, on a highway or in a place of public resort in any of the following cases-
(a)not having a collar with a licensing badge for the current year attached thereto; or
(b)Dogs appearing to be a stray or ownerless dog; or
(c)being a bitch in heat and being neither led nor carried; or
(d)suffering from any contagious disease and not being carried; or
(e)suffering from any disease or injury which causes pain to the dog and being neither led nor carried,

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/11/13 12:55 AM

Harriet it is common knowledge that YOU have a history of not keeping your dogs under control. Several of your dogs have died either by violence because they were attacking and/or menacing people, and by poisoning for the same reason! Wake up! YOU are responsible for the damage your dogs do. Financially and otherwise. At this juncture, I perceive you to be an equal menace to the community. You have repeatedly failed and refused to keep your dogs on your property under your control. Blaming your caretaker??? Beyond. You are responsible for the medical costs associated with the gentleman whom your dogs attacked. Plain and simple. Further, you should be reported to the authorities for your serial unlawful behavior and quite frankly, animal abuse. Putting your dogs in harm's way and in the position to harm others. Shame on you. Step up this time.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/11/13 02:22 AM

Some Like it Hot. Yet another anonymous poster with nothing to add except complaints and a clear lack of knowledge. There is no such thing as an 'unpredictable animal'. All animals, including humans,are absolutely predictable, unless there is an underlying organic disorder caused by illness.

What makes you think I care so much about all of these dogs (which of course by emphasising in capital letter makes it so much more definitive)? What I care about is solutions to community problems and what I get annnoyed at is whiners who complain but offer no solutions.

If you are so concerned about all of 'these animals' perhaps you could contribute to a solution rather than rant, in a way that clearly indicates your lack of knowledge of the subject or anything constructive you might have to add, anonymously on a message board.

You clearly have an issue with dogs, but are unwilling to participate in solving the problem. Please do assist men and women struggling to feed their families, but perhaps, if this is an issue close to your heart, also contribute towards sex education and contraception to help with preventing that problem. Having children you cannot afford to feed or care for is by far a much more serious problem than stray dogs.

People who complain constantly, demonstrate their absolute ignorance of a subject, become hysterical about it and then try to justify their lack of contribution to the solution are not the sort of people Belize really needs. Good luck to you though. I'm sure your post on this issue, anonymously on this message board, will do a great deal towards solving the issue you clearly care so much about.

Oh and the really interesting thing to note is that intelligent people, with compassion and empathy, don't differentiate between helping the community in one way more than another. Most people who have concerns about animals on San Pedro and who really want to improve things rather than just complain, contribute their time and money. Those same people also contribute to many other important causes including the Lions Club, San Pedro AIDS Commission, San Pedro Cancer Society, San Pedro Polyclinic and may other important causes.

I stand by my statements. Put up or shut up. If you are not happy with something here, do something to make it better. If you are unwilling to do that and be part of the solution, then, yes, please shut up because there are wonderful, conscientious, hard working and generous people working hard on the island to find solutions and quite frankly, your unhelpful comments are a boring and unwanted distraction.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/11/13 03:06 AM

Blah,blah,blah.Funny,I'm a supporter of a number of the organizations you list.What is your solution? I'm not sure I've read one from you. Is volunteering at SAGA going to solve the problem? I suppose any comment that doesn't embrace feral dogs is unhelpful,boring and a distraction. I notice in another thread you are down right ebullient that a missing dog was reunited with it's owner. I didn't see where you said that the owner should be fined or any action against them. Perhaps that would be a start?

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/11/13 03:21 AM

Volunteering and contributing to SAGA is a solution for problem dogs. There are very few feral dogs on Ambergris Caye. Almost none. Perhaps you don't understand what 'feral' means in terms of dogs.

I'm delighted that you contribute to and volunteer for the SP AIDS Commission, the SP Cancer Society, SAGA Humane Society, SP Poly Clinic and the Lions Club. That is wonderful and I'm sure your generous donations of time and money are greatly appreciated.

Volunteering for organisations that work towards change, certainly does contribute towards change. Funnily enough, I saw SAGA volunteers out trapping dogs today. Was that you I saw on the back of the golf cart?

Given that they receive no government funding and depend wholly on the contributions of the public, they do an amazing job and the problem of stray and latch key dogs in San Pedro is pretty minimal compared to most places - anywhere in the world. As stated previously though, it is recognised, that the land from whence you originate is perfect and I know it must be hard to live with the fact that San Pedro does not meet your high standards, but hey - please do feel free to shut the gate on your way home to perfection.

But of course, you have never spent any time in Belize City, so have no idea what achievements have been made by SAGA, because you haven't a clue about Belize, which is evident in every word of your claptrap.

You seem to mistake the fact that people are not perfect and that sometimes pets go missing with actual crime. Of course I can see how easy it is to be confused by the two. I'd try to help you get a perspective on this, but I suspect that your obsession with dogs (oooh ....packs of mangy feral dogs waiting around every corner, to attack you and infect you with their feral ways) means that perspective of any sort is beyond your reach.

Again, I beseech you to find somewhere that can provide you with the sort of life that you feel you should become accustomed to. But what Belize does not need is whining foreigners who complain about Belize constantly. Not only is it an embarrassment to those of us who actually moved here because we love Belize, but it is completely illogical. Don't the people from whence you came want you back? One would think that with all of your well informed contributions to society, they would be begging for your return.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/11/13 01:26 PM

Saga HS has been continuing the round ups of stray dogs on the streets of San Pedro and surrounding areas that were began in July 2012. As of April 2013 Saga HS had picked up 231 stray or roaming dogs, 130 of those dogs were euthanized and 47 returned to their owners. A more troubling trend is the increasing rate of owner surrenders at our clinic, 441 for the same time period, of which a lucky 202 animals were adopted. The large number of surrenders illustrates that animals breeding in private homes are a significant part of the problem of animal over population on the island.

Maintaining a shelter will not on its own solve pet overpopulation problems in the long term. In fact it may make it worse, as it provides an easy route for pet owners to dispose of their animals rather than thinking about providing for them. 60% of the animals we take in are surrendered by owners who throw them away like yesterday's boring toy. Abandoned without a second thought. A shelter attempts to deal with the effects of animal overpopulation but does nothing to address the cause.

Saga HS is trying to solve problems not of our creation, with sometimes very little support from the very community we are helping. It has come to be that people associate any barking, biting or any dog incident as a responsibility of Saga, when actually it’s the fault the dog owners. They automatically think it is our responsibility to fix the problem. We are not a government agency and government does not fund us at all. We're a registered NGO, non-profit animal welfare organization, not a dog pound, not the pooper scooper patrol. But we end up doing what is technically the government and law enforcement's responsibility. Last year we spent $10,000 on dog round ups and euthanasia of those animals, which will have no long term impact on overpopulation. All the money used was donated funds with no re-imbursements from government.

The fact is that simply rounding up more dogs and cats and killing them would cost more in the long run, than spaying or neutering them now, and preventing the unwanted births in the first place. That is why we have introduced Operation SNIP (Spay/Neuter Initiative Program) with the goal of sterilizing 75% of the Island’s pet population in 3-5 years. Saga HS is working towards a goal of having low/no cost spay neuter available AT ALL TIMES. This year we are committed to raising $50,000 for Operation SNIP to fund 1,000 free spay/neuters. We have already sterilized 205 animals this year toward our goal. The good news is, we are an island – if we also monitor and control the number of animals being born in back yards or brought in from external sources (like people selling puppies on the island from the mainland), we can make an impact and achieve the desired goals!

Going forward the owned intact dogs we do round up, we will sterilize and vaccinate them if they are at large in a public place. They will be then returned to their owners, with a free Operation SNIP collar and warning about having their dogs at large in a public place. Owners will not always happy with our efforts to sterilize and vaccinate their dogs or cats. Until owners follow the law and contain their animals within their yards, we will continue to find them and SNIP them.

I hope this has been informative. Saga Humane Society is committed to serving the needs of our community in the most humane and effective way. We are bringing world class solutions to the table and working hard to effect change. We welcome calls, emails, and visitors and will answer all questions. Call or stop by the clinic Tuesday through Saturday 226-3266 or saga@btl.net. Operation SNIP

Coleen Creeden
President
Saga Humane Society
[Linked Image]

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/12/13 07:47 PM

Harriett, please properly fence your property. You refuse to properly train and socialize your animals and they have suffered the consequences; and now someone has been injured due to your lack of responsibility. Please fence your property and keep your dogs within the fence.
Posted By: seaglass

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/13/13 03:00 PM

I agree with you "Nobody You Know" I come to the island 2-3x's a year, was just there recently, and noticed alot more stray dogs than our trip before. Sorry for all of the rudeness you're receiving.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/13/13 09:26 PM

SLIH no need to resort to that sort of crap. If you have a valid point please make it. Thus far, you've only attacked CollyK in what can only be described as rude personal comments that are juvenile and unproductive as to the topic.

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/13/13 09:52 PM

Thanks iluvbelize. No worries. Let Some Like it Hot say what he/she thinks, because it clearly demonstrates the value of their perspective and ability to be a useful member of the San Pedro community. It's well established that those without empathy for other living creatures often are poor communicators with pent up aggression, especially when they are unable to articulate well and um..well his/her capacity for articulation is plain for all of us to see. I'm sure he/she or one of his/her friends will have to have the last unhelpful word and I have taken bets on that. So looking forward to making a few dollars.

In the meantime, SAGA and the many other non profit organsiations in San Pedro who work tirelessly with few resources to make this a better place to live continue to be supported by the majority of wonderful and kind people in our community.
Posted By: BZ4me

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/13/13 10:12 PM

Very well said. I agree completely.
Posted By: MikeCaroleinKC

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/14/13 03:14 PM

I have "no dog in this fight" as they say, but we come to Ambergris 1-2 times a year and do a lot of walking around San Pedro. Can someone tell us where it would no be safe to walk to avoid the dogs?

Re: Dogs, Dogs, Dogs... - 06/14/13 06:17 PM

MikeCaroleinKC,
If you have been coming to San Pedro frequently and enjoys walks, please continue to do so. What you are witnessing is a community fed up with irresponsible dog owners and being vocal about it.

Many dogs roaming in San Pedro do have owners, that is, they are not strays – or they are being loosely taken care of/supported by a neighborhood. It most often means that no person accepts individual responsibility for the potlicker but everyone agrees they live in the neighborhood. We have dog owners who allow their dogs to be at large in a public place or roam off leash while they are at work because they lack a fence or yard or sit at a bar or eat dinner. They take their unleashed dogs to festivals or allow the dog to run free to chase bikes or carts in the road. That is exactly what being at large means and it's against the law. This is a large part of the problem in San Pedro, some dog owners think everyone should love or tolerate their dogs. The problem is these dog owners are not respecting their neighbors, the community or the law. Yes it seems that sometimes it may be just one guy, one dog. But that can be said of the 5,700 dogs on the island and their owners. And yes a lot of them see themselves as responsible dog owners and Saga HS supporters. Having a dog off leash would not be tolerated in San Francisco, Toronto, London or Berlin. We need to shift away from a bystander behavior and call attention to and to stop these inconsiderate, illegal behaviors and work toward a culture of mutual respect and community accountability. To change that, help us to identify and call attention to the little problems — allowing dogs to be at large in public- and much, much larger ones before real harm is done.

Coleen Creeden
Saga Humane Society
www.sagahumanesociety.org
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board