AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: PedalPusher Ginger Beer - 01/07/13 08:30 PM
Anyone know of a store which sells this? Not Ginger ALE !! .... Not those whimpy ginger flavored beverages with lemon and crap. Just good old fashioned non-alcoholic spicy Jamaican style Ginger Beer.
Posted By: KennyJoeBob Re: Ginger Beer - 01/10/13 04:25 AM
I'd bring some down for you (coming January 30th), but I don't think they'll let me carry it on the plane.
Posted By: KennyJoeBob Re: Ginger Beer - 01/10/13 04:26 AM
Nothing quite like a good "Dark & Stormy"; ginger beer and black rum with a twist of lime. Yummy!
Posted By: belizeonthebeach Re: Ginger Beer - 01/10/13 05:13 AM
Ginger Root is everywhere here.
Grab some club soda and a root and ginger yourself..
Posted By: MathieusDeli Re: Ginger Beer - 01/10/13 10:16 PM
Over in caye caulker the little hole in the wall next to the land & sea fish/meat shop (on the street that runs along the south side of the football field) makes exceedingly potently wicked ginger ale - not alcoholic, just very very very gingery.... sell it by the liter i think. amazing stuff!
Posted By: chunkyruth Re: Ginger Beer - 01/11/13 12:07 AM
Thanks Gunter...I think we might have to check that out.
Posted By: PedalPusher Re: Ginger Beer - 01/14/13 06:34 PM
That would be "Rasta Pasta" and I do believe they are history now. Argghh.... still no Ginger Beer !!
Posted By: Dane Re: Ginger Beer - 01/16/13 11:58 PM
No that isn't Rasta Pasta. It is Billies and the Ginger beer I had was the real thing.
It was fermented ginger and quite good.
They only do it when they are broke.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Ginger Beer - 01/17/13 02:01 AM
Make your own. I use local honey and washed and grated ginger root, boil it up, strain it and refrigerate. Usually I just drink it straight but it's good with soda water or beer.
Posted By: cleanhead Re: Ginger Beer - 01/17/13 01:45 PM
ratios?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Ginger Beer - 01/17/13 02:42 PM
Gallon jug of water, 3 or 4 good sized roots, cup of honey.
Posted By: cleanhead Re: Ginger Beer - 01/17/13 05:28 PM
Thanks Simon. I've had a hankering to make this, but haven't found a satisfying recipe.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Ginger Beer - 01/18/13 12:41 AM
Simon knows everything - and I'm not being sarcastic.
Thanks for the recipe ..... after combining said ingredients what do we do (I have never had ginger beer and wouldn't know when it's done .... or how long to let it brew).

Posted By: PedalPusher Re: Ginger Beer - 01/21/13 10:18 PM
Thanks Simon... I'm not making anything but trouble.... I'm on Vacation. So I'll take the answer to my question as a big "NO". One cannot BUY Ginger Beer in San Pedro... case closed !!!
I can live with that.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Ginger Beer - 01/21/13 11:25 PM
Believe me I do not know everything, if I did I wouldn't be busting my butt for a living.

I just refrigerate after letting it cool down to room temperature which means it's more Ginger Juice than Ginger Beer but if you look up recipes on the internet there are various methods of fermenting out there (or just adding soda water).

You can buy Ginger Beer in San Pedro, it's just that it's crap. I was used to getting real Jamaican Ginger Beer in Canada. Comparing what we get here to that is like comparing Budweiser to beer.
Posted By: KennyJoeBob Re: Ginger Beer - 01/22/13 12:26 AM
PedalPusher, I have some Jamaican Ginger Beer in the fridge and I'm coming to SP on the 30th. I could probably pack you a couple of bottles and bring 'em if you're interested.

KJB
Posted By: Noelle Re: Ginger Beer - 01/22/13 12:51 AM
I'm not sure what the difference between ginger beer and ginger ale is but Martinez' (the breakfast and lunch counter next to the Sea & Land meat shop) on Caye Caulker sells a very strong and spicy ginger brew that they call ginger ale. It's cloudy, not clear. I love it but it's too strong for some.
Posted By: MathieusDeli Re: Ginger Beer - 01/22/13 02:27 AM
Noele - yes, that's the place I was thinking of. Very ... VERY strong / gingery, but WOW!
Posted By: PedalPusher Re: Ginger Beer - 01/23/13 08:52 PM
Hey guys... thanks. There's such a large caribbean community here in Toronto, it's hard not to find Ginger Beer. Please don't bring anything for me. It's such a caribbean drink... hard to believe no stocks it to mix with rum in the bars... no biggie. See ya Friday.
Posted By: Dawghed Re: Ginger Beer - 01/28/13 05:55 AM
Jambel Jerk made their own Ginger Beer. Great fish curry too. They were across the street from the airport. Are they still there?
Posted By: Hon Re: Ginger Beer - 01/28/13 07:17 PM
Jambel Jerk Pit is now at Sunbreeze Suites.
Posted By: seashell Re: Ginger Beer - 01/28/13 07:57 PM
Also up at Playa Blanca.
Posted By: Casa Pokey Jan Re: Ginger Beer - 01/28/13 09:47 PM
Xaman Ek, not Playa Blanca.
Posted By: seashell Re: Ginger Beer - 01/29/13 12:15 AM
Sorry, yes Xaman Ek. My mistake, in that I thought Xaman Ek to have been Gaz' old Playa Blanca Resort in the Playa Blanca area.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board