AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Cost to build a Custom Home?

Posted By: Cantico

Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/20/13 01:06 AM

Hi -What is the cost per sq ft US$ , to build a good quality 4000sq ft custom home ? Granite counters , some wood ceilings ect... cost for a custom pool? Thanks
Posted By: Tim Callanan

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/20/13 04:38 AM

It really depends where your located, the prices Change because of transportation. For an example: if you are building on the North end of the island your materials need to be barged which can be expensive . In town and down South your materials could be delivered easier and cheaper by truck.
There are many other factors,it's best to keep it simple and use local materials.
You need to come for a visit !
Posted By: Dane

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/20/13 06:06 AM

Long version of check it out here first as Tim advised
The pool across the street cost about US$20K and is hard to maintain and keep clean
Labor is about US$40/day.
Granite counters are crazy expensive like in the US thirty years ago for the same reasons. You must ship them in from Miami precut and they break on the way.
Your house would be the largest on the Caye.
Building a US style home in Belize costs about twice as much as a properly designed hardwood island style home.
There are several US suburban homes on the Caye which mostly sit empty.
They are worth a lot less than it cost to build them.
Imagine building a home like that in the Sahara or the North Pole.
It would be quite possible, a black hole for money,and an even bigger mistake than doing so on Caye Caulker.
Posted By: Inplub

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/20/13 02:27 PM

I was told years ago between US$100 and US$150 a sq ft.
Posted By: TravelinMan1

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/20/13 02:49 PM

Just to clarify the granite comes from mexico and there are people in both Belize City and Ambergris Caye who cut and fit and it is nolonger as expensive as it used to be. Construction on Ambergris Caye will cost between $100 and $150 USD per square foot but for top quality construction with high end finishes you will be looking at closer to $200 per square foot.

YOu should be very cautious about over building so look at what else is in the area and ask a qualified realtor how they expect the area to grow. You should also remember that in most cases you need about 1/2 the square footage you are used to having.

There are many practical elements (security, storms, sun, breese, etc.)which you should consider incorparating into a home on the Cayes so make sure you do some home work.

Anyone can hire a contractor and get pretty much what they want but in order to build a home that fits into the neighborhood, is cost effective and will allow you to make a profit on resale you need to get some advise from people in the business.

Swimming pools can ve very expensive by the time you add the deck and finishes so again be very carefull about size and location.

Good luck.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/20/13 03:01 PM

A few clarifications .....

Granite counters - Jerry Wilken of Architectural Accents in Ladyville does an excellent job of granite installation. Check with him for selection and cost.

A custom-built 20' X 40' pool with substantial deck space will cost from $40-50,000 US depending on materials and systems chosen.

Construction costs per sq. foot are calculated differently from builder to builder here. Some take an overall footprint (including covered decks) and give you an all inclusive estimate for a home with fixtures and cabinets. Others have one price for interior, one for decks, one for cistern and a la carte for cabinets, toilets etc.
A home with a stand-alone water system will run more than one without.

For a first-world quality home, the all-inclusive style cost (decks, cistern, toilets etc) built to deal with tropical weather (including hurricane) the ballpark construction cost is $125 - 160 US a square foot. Properly planned, with carefully selected materials you can build for less, but as Josh notes you can easily spend a lot more if you want to.

The cost to insure a wood structure is about 3 times that of a concrete one, and insurance on wood homes in the cayes is not so easy to get these days.

Tim mentions "north side" costs being higher than "south" due to transportation. This is advice about Ambergris Caye. I'd like to elaborate on that a bit because there are a host of variables. The island is 26 miles long. San Pedro sits about 5 miles north of the southern tip. Ergo - the "north side is more than 20 miles of island. Conditions on those 20 miles vary greatly. Firstly - pretty much all building materials come to the island by barge. If you are getting sufficient materials, you may find that the barge from the mainland can call directly at your building site and deliver. No need for the extra cost to offload on island and truck to site. This assumes that you are building in an area close to the water and have an offload berm somewhat nearby.
On the other hand, if for example, if you are building 20 miles north, you will find that the reef meets the land, that no barge can get up that way, and that your materials will have to come in smaller loads via the back or outside the reef.
As you can see, the info on transportation is VERY location-specific. Tim's advice is about Ambergris Caye, Danes knows Caye Caulker well - and the information on this would be quite different for a mainland location.

I notice a blog in progress by an new resident building a home about a mile north of the bridge. You may wish to follow this story .....

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/20/13 07:02 PM

Thank you for your replies , I have built a few custom homes in Costa rica so I do understand the process and the idea of outdoor living space ect.... Costs are similar here for a concrete and rebar home with good quality finishes runs in the $100- 150 a sq ft.
I figured it would cost a little more to have the materials shipped from the mainland. I planned on doing a concrete home with as many local woods for floors and ceilings evt...has anyone used the synthetic palm leave roof product ?? Palmex ?

Thanks again , I'm thinking about making a move ....
Posted By: BeBelize

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/20/13 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell

I notice a blog in progress by an new resident building a home about a mile north of the bridge. You may wish to follow this story .....

Yes, I bet that John would be happy to answer some questions -- here's his very thorough blog on his building progress in Ambergris Caye:

http://abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com/

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/21/13 01:18 AM

A hotel on CC used it when some dick began torching real palm roofs.
It stood up to the weąther but not as well against wind.
It costs a lot more to build on Ambergris.
My wood house cost $50 ft on CC.
the high school is concrete frame and roof with wood walls and cost $44 sq ft.
Labor is cheaper and profit less also on CC.
Hardwood costs about $$1.50 at the yard and 25% less direct from the Mennonites delivered to the Caye.
I have built about ten houses on the Caye and saved a lot by asking for labor and profit only in the bid, while paying for materials direct from the invoices.
Posted By: seashell

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/21/13 11:36 AM

Quote: You should also remember that in most cases you need about 1/2 the square footage you are used to having.

[/quote]

Travelinman, what do you mean by this?
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/21/13 07:03 PM

What I would mean about needed less square footage is that rooms need to be open floor plan, that one room flows into another and the inside and outside merge. Most living is done in an open air atmosphere. What in the world would one do with 4,000 square feet? My 1400 square foot condo feels very big and with two master suites at each end the privacy is complete.
My current construction is only 1,009 Square feet on the second level interior and everyone keeps asking me why I need such a big place.
I certainly hope you had this designed by someone who lives here - not in the states. The needs here are very different. Good Luck
Posted By: Johnhenry

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/21/13 07:48 PM

I got the impression from Cantico's initial post that he/she is currently at the information gathering stage and nowhere near as advanced as having had architectural plans drawn up.
Posted By: Dan King

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/22/13 06:07 AM

ok size aside. Who here has built a home lately in AC? Any tips, recommended contractors, etc? How long did the process take before you were able to "live" in it.

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/22/13 08:21 AM

Building at the moment. In week twelve of a forty week schedule.

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/22/13 06:04 PM

Harriette, our little house is 3000 sq ft and I plan to make it into 3600 when I come back in May/June. Never felt large to us.
Posted By: Nobody You Know

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/23/13 08:49 PM

Just bought a smaller house on 85' of Beach about 2.5 miles N. The bid (from someone that did fabulous work on my Buddie's 4000sq.ft. house)to add 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, huge deck, outdoor kitchen, redo indoor kitchen, new appliances, all finishes,hardwood floors, everything except furniture is around $110 US a sq. ft.for an 1800 sq.ft. addition. !2 week build time with penalties...
Posted By: Phil

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/23/13 11:42 PM

Wow. Care to share contractor?
Posted By: champion

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/23/13 11:45 PM

All that in just 12 weeks?

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/24/13 12:52 AM

Yep, they did my partner's 4000 sq.ft. house with pool, all concrete, beautiful finish and woodwork in 7 months, start to finish for a bit over $175 a sq. ft. He has had no issues with any of the work. I will ask if it's OK to post his info. As you can imagine he stays pretty busy...

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/24/13 04:38 AM

Sounds like you got a great deal. Thirty-seven percent per square foot less than your Buddy/Partner and in five percent less time ( on a per square feet basis).

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/24/13 02:47 PM

There is obviously a big difference between new construction and add on...

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/24/13 02:50 PM

Are the foundations already there for your extension?

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/25/13 04:18 AM

Thanks again for all this info , are there problems there cutting mangroves ect..... close to the beach ??
what are the rules for building a pier/dock?
Have a great week-end

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/25/13 06:05 AM

You may trim mangroves but not remove them - unless you are a developer with initials JP. (said she with tongue in check)
It is actually illegal to remove mangroves from beaches. I even had photos of a dredgers eating up mangroves and no one ever did anything about it. It is very important that we save our mangroves. In some areas they are even trying to transplant them.
Others can respond to your question about docks.
Posted By: Phil

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/25/13 06:20 PM

Illegal without a permit I believe rather than illegal. Want a dock? Permit. It's a magic word down here..............

Posted By: Edwardo

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/25/13 08:02 PM

Has anyone had a house built with covintec panels ?
Posted By: champion

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/25/13 08:04 PM

What is that?
Posted By: Edwardo

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/25/13 08:09 PM

Covintec panels : foam & wire mesh panels coated with shotcrete inside and out. Royal Palms is built with it as is Coconuts. Just wondering if anyone had a house done with it and what the cost was?
Posted By: ragman

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/25/13 11:22 PM

I believe the product you describe was used to build a wall around a residence about 500 ft. north of Grand Caribe. The wall is about 4' high. I believe a form was built on each side of it leaving about 3"of space on each side and concrete was poured in. After it set then they plastered the surface.

I do not know about its suitability for building walls in residences but the cost factor must have reasonable to build a wall around a property rather than a conventional method.

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/26/13 01:11 AM

My friend built a house with it on CC.
The expense with finish detail finish was a lot more than any other on the block, so he was disappointed

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/26/13 05:04 PM

I have some walls in our property and it is one hell of a job to put pipes through.

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/26/13 05:44 PM

The convitex was used on the roofs at Bermuda Palms - then concrete was poured over it. Building A had a lot of leaks that took years to identify and fix. It supposedly is good for sound proofing and insulating.

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/27/13 08:07 PM

Thanks again everybody , lots of great info . They've started to use the panels here in Costa Rica for the R value , I guess I'll cross that bridge when it's time.
FILL ??? is that a dirty word there or just very expensive I'm guessing ??
Have agreat week
Thanks
Terry
Posted By: Mike Campbell

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/27/13 09:56 PM

Covintec panels were first used in San Pedro in the Mata Rocks building. They are also used in Coconuts, Cory McDermott residence, Royal Palms, Tennis Club, Ozzie Palmer residence and various others. After Keith it became apparent that they were "hurricane proof" and many started replacing destroyed wood roofs for Covintec roof, Banyan Bay for example has all panel roofs now and many others. Most constructions are residential. Defects are caused by unskilled labor in the installation phase and masonry mistakes in the concrete phase. Not all have been properly trained in factory approved techniques.
right now I can build a modest Covintec home elevated 8', tiled, insulated, hurricane proof, fire proof house for around $100 USD /s.f. in town. I have just completed design on a such a home and will be starting construction soon. Covintec system is superior to block construction in every respect. Typically we will complete a Covintec building in 1/2 to 2/3 the time of block construction and have a finished product of much higher quality in every respect.
As the walls are very robust it is difficult to retro fit in the wall plumbing and electrical which should be installed before plastering.
There are several large Covintec walls around. One is just north of Marina's where the Golf Cart place is. that's an 8' wall and really blocks noise and provides great security.
Posted By: Tim Callanan

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/27/13 10:36 PM

Covintec is a great product,specially for insulation. They are easy to work with because they are square large panels. Block is cheaper if you have the right crew or someone there to watch over the productivity.
Sometimes it is easier to have a crew use a material they are more familiar with like block. The perfect house would have both,they both have their pro's and cons. If you run air conditioning a lot you should definitely consider covintec.
T beams Concrete t beams with styrofoam inserts are a way to speed up a project and provide insulation for roofs and floors. I would consider all theses products,there are risks with all products. It is best to have a quality control person and a productivity person,this is sometimes considered the contractor,we suggest an independent one that is paid separately from the crew. This could be one person with a strong back bone.
Building per square foot $ is going to depend on how many time you have to do the same project or waste of product.
Posted By: kathyw

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/27/13 10:56 PM

We actually bought a house (4 miles South) that was built by Mike Campbell(whom we've never met) The house is aprox. 19 years old. This Covintec house has never leaked or cracked and the workmanship is wonderful. We would highly recommened Mike Campbell and this application to anyone considering it.
P.S.
Mike, we would like to meet with you to discuss a possible second floor bedroom and bath. We'll be back in April.
Ric and Kathy

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/29/13 07:15 PM

Well thats nice to hear for sure. When properly used Covintec is unbeatable and represents the state of the art in construction. Glad you enjoy your house. Until you have lived in a Covintec home you dont realize the difference.

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/29/13 09:18 PM

Mike Cambell & others.

We have covered the outside with 1/2" plywood with tar paper over the top which will have wire then plaster.

I have poured concrete beams 8' apart (well most of them - LOL) with sapodilla real 2 x 4' top & bottom plates and studs 24" on center.

I have been advised to NOT use plasterboard on my inside walls.
Would it be better to use convitex rather than plywood for interior walls. If I used convitex the pieces could be used between the studs and then just be plastered over - right?

I know the insulating advantage but what would be the difference in cost?

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 01/29/13 10:03 PM

Usually exterior walls have studs every 16 inches rather than 24". The Covintec system would have been used in place of wood studs. The panels would have been attached to the existing beams, columns and floor and been plastered both sides and done. The plaster over wire walls you have described require an interior wall and i would use sheetrock as always with insulation placed between the studs.
I dont think you would gain anything by cutting Covintec panel and putting it between studs. That is all said without looking at the existing construction. In all cases except Covintec you will finish the exterior including the roof before you finish the interior walls and they are supposed to be water tight.
With the Covintec system we can plaster the interior walls and ceiling to finish before we cast the roof as the plasterwork acts as formwork and no plywood is required for the roof/second floor casting.
Posted By: flooringcary

Re: Cost to build a Custom Home? - 04/06/20 04:09 PM

I completely agree with Seashell.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board