AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: JRinSC Best places to buy things for your stay? - 05/09/13 05:11 PM
Hi to all,

We'll be coming down for two weeks over Christmas and New Years and staying at Paradise Villas. We'll be renting a gold cart so it doesn't matter just how close the places are. Looking to put Bottled water, Coke Light (csns) and some dark rum in the condo. Is there a best place to get this stuff? Or is somethng close like Richies' just as good as others? There will be 4 of us for 2 weeks so it will be several cases, bottles, etc. crazy
Richie's is right across the street.
Posted By: JED Re: Best places to buy things for your stay? - 05/09/13 11:38 PM
If your renting from Nellie she can stock the condo with Coke Light and any other drinks that you may want. The rum Richie's is right behind the condos.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Best places to buy things for your stay? - 05/10/13 02:15 AM
Richie's no longer sells alcohol you have to go up the street a few hundred feet for their liquor shop.
Posted By: gkyle Re: Best places to buy things for your stay? - 05/10/13 08:37 AM
You might want to get that rum at duty free in Belize city. Can be $$ on the island... laugh
Posted By: Phil Re: Best places to buy things for your stay? - 05/10/13 04:13 PM
Rum is not worth buying at Duty Free as it is cheap due to it being a local and CariCom product. Other Spirits from outside the Caribbean may well be worth buying at Duty Free if you can be bothered to carry it as well as luggage etc.

However if they have a Gold Cart, money probably isn't an issue...............
Posted By: Phil Re: Best places to buy things for your stay? - 05/10/13 04:16 PM
If you do want to buy Duty Free there's the unusual option of having one at arrivals in Belize, next to luggage claim. You can have 4.5 litres per person ( 6 Bottles each @ 750ml of spirits) You will need to check it flying on the local airline so have them box it up.
Posted By: pugwash Re: Best places to buy things for your stay? - 05/10/13 04:35 PM
Even if your party are Rum drinkers, take advantage of the Belize duty free to buy whiskey or vodka.
The perceived "trade value" or "tip value" of these spirits is very high as the costs of buying on island are high.
Scuba or snorkel guides are more likely than not to mix with Fanta, so don't buy the good stuff...theres almost no point!
And if you like to drink your Rum with Cranberry, the juice will cost as much as the Rum.
I always bring several containers of Gatoraide powder when I come down...
The liquor store is very close Ritchies and the folks that run it are really nice.

If you are shopping in town the Rum Cigar store offers tasters and they make their cream rums,they also do coffee there with shot options.
Posted By: JRinSC Re: Best places to buy things for your stay? - 05/12/13 03:58 PM
Thanks to all for suggestions. Especially that Nellie would stock with Coke Light and stuff. Never would have thought to ask but I will now.

I appreciate the input -- and I do mix the rum with the coke and lime and therefore good, really good rum, would truly be wasted in my glass. I might get something on the way home but on the island it will be the good local stuff.

Thanks again to all.

Julian
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board