AmbergrisCaye.com Home

ac attire ( no speedos)

Posted By: dave in phoenix

ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/24/00 02:43 PM

hello all,

will be arriving 3 nov. what do we need besides, t shirts, swim suits and sandals?
does it get cool enough at night to bring a light sweatshirt or long pants? also, i bought 2 bottles of 100% deet. is that the best repellent for the moquitos?

thanks

dave in phoenix
Posted By: CAPTAIN bigzeke

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/24/00 03:18 PM

When I was there in August, I bought 100% deet with me. It helps but it sure ain't no cure all because I still got eaten up pretty good. Your wardrobe seems to be on target too.
Posted By: Marty

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/24/00 04:17 PM

yeah, there was a bad period for skeeters in august, huh jane?

i usually bring one light sweat and one pair light long pants just for in case with skeeters.
Posted By: margarita

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/24/00 05:03 PM

Sunglasses!! We also bring some spare sunglasses, they make great gifts!
Light long pants/shirt also good for too much sun.
Belize it!
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/24/00 06:21 PM

Sunglasses and sunscreen a must. I would also bring a bottle of pure aloe vera gel too. If you get burnt...and you will..even with sunscreen...you will want it. You can find it here usually...but you will pay a pretty penny for it.

It has been a little cool at night here this week. Not in US terms...I mean like around 76-78 degrees. The days have been hot though and the sun blaring.
Posted By: Marty

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/24/00 06:47 PM

I usually bring a TON of sunscreen. We come with 6 folks, and we bring a half gallon of regular lotion, a quart of aloe, and many tubes of 30 weight sunscreen. at least 2 tubes per person. wish they had that stuff in half gallons.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/24/00 06:57 PM

Everyone, I mean everyone needs to use suncreen, on Ambergris. I had a fair tan base, and used spf 45, did not have any sunburn problem, I am an ole coppertone baby. Husband had a very deep tan, thought he could use a lower spf, but after one trip out fishing, he decided my spf 45 would be great. We both got a very deep nice tan, w/o the suffering and peeling after. Put the suncreen on every morning before leaving your room, and your day will be most enjoyable. BELIZE IT.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/24/00 07:33 PM

hi dave. i was there in august too, as marty kindly acknowledged, and that week the 'squitos were fierce. i hope they are better for you.
anyway, here's my recommendations:
someone i met there also brought "cutter" repellent, which is very weak but has other stuff too, and mixed her 100% with that in the pump spray. she said it worked. (however, she was soooo happy to borrow my benedryl cream). tha brings us to Benedryl cream. it is a godsend, especially when used with "AfterBite". use the benedryl cream, not oral, because the oral will make you drowsy, esp if drinking.
i also like to bring 10 1-gallon size ziploks, they are great for everything from wet suits the last day to bringing home the rum & Marie Sharp's hot sauce. mine leaked and i was very glad for the bags. used them for seashells too. bring neosporen too, and waterproof band aids. frank and another guy both got foot blisters from their fins when diving so much. these really helped. if you want to tan, bring SPF 8, but always wear some sunscreen. i bring SPF 45 and 15 also for noses, backs, etc. and dont forget your big, pretty smile!
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 07:28 AM

I take Suntan lessons before I arrive. Use sunscreen in the AM. Most importantly, I like to try and stay out of the sun between Noon and 3PM, particularly in the water. I always like to buy a nice Guadamalan wide brimmed hat, most helpful. Brightly colored vacation stuff is well accepted along the beach. Not so much in the lagoon area. I bring crappy old shirts with me, buy and wear tourist t-shirts and give the old shirts to a local when ya leave. You'll probably see dat old shirt during many return trips. Locals love em. Good sandals a must. After Keith, ya might want a good pair of basketball shoes. I would also take a tetinus shot before I go, just in case. Most importantly, bring a smile and good sense of humour.
Posted By: Gary

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 08:54 AM

Don't forget your sun block! SPF 30.
Posted By: Daemyon

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 11:40 AM

If you're a barfly(and if you aren't now, you will be when you leave!), the no-see-ums and sand flies have a Union official that rings the buzzer at precisely 6pm, and they knockoff at 9:00 for lunch; lunch lasts for 30 secs. Cover your legs from ankles up after sundown, and dowse liberally with deet on all uncovered surfaces until such time as you're too drunk to care. This works especially well when you fall face-down in the sand, the very place from which they emanate...as you pick the bits of coral from your skinned knees and elbows, you'll notice the flies have acquired swizzle straws to use as sipping instruments for the acumulated blood, but they will thank you with a pleasant local patois, so be cordial.
Posted By: Debbie

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 02:47 PM

Daemyon,
That was really cute. I enjoyed the visual of the bugs with straws. Best to keep a sense of humor about it.
Debbie
Posted By: Jenn

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 02:59 PM

LOL... flies with straws...sounds like a great Far Side cartoon! All this talk of skinned knees brought back some memories, I'm not sure my knees will ever be the same. Ouch! I shouldn't have had that last Rum Punch before the volleyball game!
FYI -baby oil also helps deter the sand flies.

[This message has been edited by Jenn (edited 10-25-2000).]

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 06:23 PM

Sure wish Orion could have read the above post before leaving for San Pedro. Sandshaker maybe you can fill him about the baby oil. LOL

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 06:51 PM

Yeah Jenn,
I remember just how effective that baby oil was...in your case, they get a few drops of that .30 blood and pass out; the others flies tend to lose their grip, and slide slowly to the sand! Promise you'll get drunk and play volleyball again while I sit idly by and follow the bouncing...ball! Hee hee!
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 06:59 PM

A good coat of oil IS one of the best defenses against sand flies....works like a charm. Especially if you are sensitive to Deet and can't use it....it may be your only chance of survival....LOL

I will be sure and pass this info on to Orion.
Posted By: vikki0101

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 06:59 PM

hey dave, you gonna bring that marble bag to BC's for the BBQ on Sunday??lol This I gotta SEE!!! I think my 13 year olddaughter has a pair pair of tropical print bikini bottoms that she never wore. should I bring those with me? LMAO
vikki0101
Posted By: vikki0101

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 07:01 PM

oops that was orion wasn't it oh well you can still bring your too

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 07:03 PM

I can see Dave from here, in his beach attire, sitting at BC BBQ, holding that tall blue drink.
How does,he get that drink the same shade of blue as the sea water?

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 07:04 PM

OOPS, wrong DAVE. LOL
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 07:06 PM

Tidy-bowl works pretty well...

[This message has been edited by Jesse (edited 10-25-2000).]
Posted By: Bluecuracao

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 09:53 PM

Tidy what?

Jesse, your gonna have a hell of a time gettin' that red wine to look tropical. It IS however much better than the alternative, that's for sure!

Clohe...yer gittin a bit confused, dear. From what I have gathered, and doing a bit of lurking on you fine folks, that is CHOOCHOO's fav poison, not that DaveFromArizona or whomever.
Posted By: Debbie

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 10:32 PM

Jesse,
You can make that wine look tropical. Throw in some lemon, lime and orange slices and make SANGRIA WINE!!!!!! Wine island style...
[Linked Image]

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/25/00 10:38 PM

Oh forgive me Great One, I did make a Blue mistake. Those other people posting confused me, which is fairly simple to do.

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/26/00 12:59 AM

Damn drunks...get half a heat on and can't remember what they were drinkin'!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/26/00 04:52 AM

dave: one correction. dont forget to spray those ankles AND the soles of your feet. those critters are smart. they will find your "achilles heel". trust me i know of what i speak. spray every inch, then spray again (only if they are bad, as they were in aug). and dont forget those medications and ziploks. ya cant get them there, or they are $$$. (ps - been to gilbert, stayed at the buttes in mesa in '98.)
Posted By: dave in phoenix

Re: ac attire ( no speedos) - 10/26/00 04:13 PM

thanks everybody!

[Linked Image]

dave in phoenix
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board