AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Finding a place to stay during our vacation

Posted By: NYC

Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/15/13 03:23 PM

Booked lodging for only 3 days of our 7 day vacation in AC.

Does anyone think it will be difficult to find a place to stay the rest of our vacation. We booked the first 3 days at Coco Beach and would like to check out other places while we are down there before booking for the rest of our stay.

We are traveling from 9/14 thru 9/21.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/16/13 01:10 PM

Many places are closed in September, but there should be sufficient choices for the balance of your 4-day stay.
Suggest you get a list together now and maybe find out who is open and who is not - that way you won't spend so much time during your vacation hunting up an alternative accommodation.
Get phone numbers etc ahead of time ......
Enjoy the trip!!

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/17/13 12:16 PM

Thanks Diane..

I couldn't bear to take a chance and booked El Secreto for the remainder of our stay.

You mean we will have the caye to ourselves? Yeah!!

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/17/13 12:17 PM

BTW

Will my cell phone work down there? It worked in Tulum....
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/17/13 03:49 PM

Hello NYC....If you are changing hotels during your stay you might want to change to another location. This would give you experiences in all locations maybe even from the North to the South....After Coco Beach I would like to recommend going South to maybe Victoria House, Athens Gate or Pelican Reef Villas. All are first class resorts......There are lots of celebrations in town during the month of September and you can have easy access from any of these places with a Golf Cart....Hope you have fun!....

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/17/13 06:46 PM

Thanks...

Made a rookie mistake and booked El Secreto further north....

We will just need to enjoy the downtime up there and do all our fun things by Coco Beach....

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/17/13 07:17 PM

El Secreto is AWESOME - no worries.
IMHO the "fun things" are in the sea and you'll have it right there to yourself.....

Easy to get to town from Coco Beach for the parties.

Enjoy every minute.

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 12:16 AM

Wow..

Great news.

If you don't mind I would like to ask one more question.

Where is the best, best, best diving? I enjoy wall dives..
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 01:10 AM

I'm with Diane...You can't go wrong with Coco Beach....And all the fun things are in the Sea......My favorite wall dive is the Half Moon Caye Wall....It's a part of the Blue Hole Dive experience with most of the dive operators.....A big day and well worth it....Typically the Blue Hole, Elbow, Aquarium and Half Moon Caye Wall are in a days package......Let us know how it works out for you..... wink
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 03:12 AM

Im wouldt more dires of I would.Ifin u went doing wong wit A coco bush.... oh mi. Don go munchin wit no half nuttin, caue ya gotta cum hom sonner orya done. Don let dem eldows hepn ya out cause dey trin to git dem selson.

Mi bes vise, stanna beach at BCsan let dem Good tim roll !!!!

Cee ya soner or de latr

Ernie
Posted By: LaurieMar

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 04:38 AM

LOL, E..."Coco Bush, oh mi"! De is just too much..something about don't let those elbows help you out?
Posted By: seashell

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 09:46 AM

E was posting way past bedtime, me thinks. smile OK everyone elbows up now.

In the meantime, I'll support Judyann. Halfmoon Wall is one of my favorite wall dives too. But one doesn't have to go all the way out there to really enjoy the local diving, most of which is finger and groove coral formations. The local diving can be quite good.
Posted By: bobcat bill

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 10:37 AM

Ernies new computer must be acting up.

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 11:40 AM

Elbert can advise you on good dives-sites - if he doesn't answer on this thread, suggest you contact him with a PM.

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 12:12 PM

Hi all,

Is Amigos del Mar is a reputable and responsible dive operator?

Posted By: elbert

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 12:33 PM

NYC, Coco beach is close to us it's a nice place, I think you'll like it. We pick up and drop off on their dock for free.
Amigo's is a good dive shop as well.
Secreto has some distance issues, it's a nice hotel/resort but way up island and transportation to a dive shop is a problem.

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 01:04 PM

I think El Secreto books through the dive operation from Tranquility Bay. It's not too far away, and is a fun place for a change of scene and a cold beer.
Best to ask them directly.

Posted By: elbert

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 01:33 PM

I've been diving some of their guest this week and get emails form others saying they charge 50.usd to take them in to a dive shop.
I have their guest go to Blue Reef and pick them up there but that's still a long way considering the gas mileage.wish I could get the business but 12.90bz a gallon makes it difficult.

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/18/13 02:33 PM

Sounds like a bus-op for Elbert's White Sands - a second location/true-north dive shop - all those cool untouched sites. Go for it!

Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/19/13 01:41 AM

I know there are parts of the world where there are standard dive sites. If you check the dive map for Ambergis Caye I think you will find 30 to 40 listed sites here off of the reef.

What I like about the dive operators here they select each days dive sites based on the experience and number of the divers, the weather, if other boats are already tied up at the site, the tides and maybe what they had for breakfast. LOL

No, honestly, the best thing to do is select a dive operation and rely on them.
Since you will be staying so far north I too suggest you check in with Elbert at White Sands Dive Shop which is not a White Sands Resort.

After a few days of reef diving you may be ready for a trip to Turneff of Lighthous Atoll. It's all good.
Posted By: GwenA

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/20/13 09:51 PM

Don't think Elbert is trying for a business op! He's the right guy to get at Coco Beach! Does Dianne have some kind of agenda?
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/20/13 11:33 PM

You're reading it wrong, it's a positive post from Diane.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: Finding a place to stay during our vacation - 08/21/13 03:29 PM

Gwen - you should meet Diane - she is a very kind person with a good sense of humor.
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board