AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Caye Caulker, Nov 14, 2000 - 11/14/00 04:39 PM
Both electricity and telephones and internet service are coming back to a lot of Caye Caulker. Things are getting back to normal. Tourists are coming in and most places are already ready to receive visitors. Or will be by the end of the month.
Things look bright and clean around the town. On the bad side, the few palm trees left, look forlorn and scared with whatever few branches still attached, like some European skin head full of a Mohawk brush cut, painted orange.
The front beach never got damaged by Keith, as the storm came from the back, or west side, but the beach was not reclaimed properly according to contract either. The measurement of beach in front of the park area by the police station was supposed to be 24 ft beach street, plus 66 ft of public right of way. What actually got filled was about 30 feet measuring from the property line we are told by villagers estimates. So beach street got reclaimed by the contractor, but the "right of way" is 60 feet missing of sand width.
The dredge got sunk in the storm and we don't know who owned it, or whether whoever owned it, got it stripped and cleaned and back in condition again right after the submerging. If they didn't, the engine at least will be a total loss. Wonder who swallows that cost? And if the dredge will be replaced and the reclamation project continued?
Things need to get back to normal and this dredge, or a substitute operational again and continue with the work. Who will arrange that, I wonder? Was the dredge insured? Is a replacement underway? Was the contractor bonded? Did the contractor collect full contract price, for less than half the work? How does the project work, I wonder?

Ray Auxillou
Posted By: Marty Re: Caye Caulker, Nov 14, 2000 - 11/14/00 04:44 PM
Well, I'm back on my beloved island. Hurricane Keith may have done a lot of
damage, but the island looks spit shining new. All the businesses that
received damage, and it is obvious who the ones are that had insurance, have
rebuilt bigger and better than ever. Tina's house looks extra fabulous.
She has tiled her floors and re-decorated her home into a Spanish-looking
hacienda. Simply mahvellous!

Popeye's Restaurant has expanded, yet again, and now incorporated a dance
floor. It looks great. Seaside Cabanas has expanded since the hurricane to
now include a two story hotel in addition to its cabanas. I haven't really
walked around much yet, but the changes I have seen just in the walk from
the front pier to Tina's house looks wonderful. The new beach is as
beautiful as ever. Tourists were on the boat on the commute to the island.

Peter has my roof repaired and the inside of my house cleaned beautifully,
and I, myself, am looking forward to renovating for the better.

The island is as wonderful as ever!!

Take care all, more later.
Wendy de la Fuente
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board