AmbergrisCaye.com Home

SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please!

Posted By: dawnskers

SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/01/00 06:36 AM

I just heard from my timeshare co. that the Belize Yacht Club will not be open for the rest of the year! Is this true?!! We have all our flights, car rental and additional trip to Chaa Creek paid for- of course, the 1st time I neglected to buy trip insurance- so we're s--- out of luck on a refund...
Everything I've read so far about the island has said that damage was minimal, and everything has been up and running since early November at other resorts- anyone have any ideas on where we can stay with only a week's notice? I'm still in shock....
Posted By: booblers

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/01/00 07:03 AM

I just got back three days ago and I could swear that I met a family that was staying there but I could be wrong.

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/01/00 01:45 PM

Hey Booblers- Thanks for your reply...I was in a Belize chat room last night, and a couple of people there were under the same impression- if anyone knows someone that works at BYC that can shed some light for me, I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this!
Posted By: Beach Bum

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/01/00 06:27 PM

The BYC was in the process of being sold by the previous owner (a German lady). The new owners are re-converting the BYC away from timeshare/condo usage into a "pure" hotel.
(How they will handle current owners is beyond me.)

That they would close it during a sale makes NO SENSE to me.
In any event-- it was open when I was there. Any shutdown (if that is reality) has nada to do with Keith.

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/01/00 11:41 PM

Interesting...after contacting my travel agent, he spoke with someone at the resort, and they have "back-pedaled" on what they told us to begin with, and have said that we can come, as long as we understand that everything may not be 100% functional ie TV cable, phone service, etc. Fine with us...we just need a place to stay! Thanks to all who replied- hope to see u while we're visiting! Dawn
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/02/00 07:50 AM

Hmmmm....interesting how quickly that was resolved, huh?......LOL

Great news!.....Dawn
Happy for you and yours.

[This message has been edited by Sandshaker (edited 12-01-2000).]
Posted By: Kathy in Canada

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/02/00 08:53 AM

Hmmm...I was going to say that my parents are living there as I type this. I know about the change in hands..but don't believe they are closing it down for the rest of the year.
Posted By: Daemyon

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/02/00 12:08 PM

For what you spend per night at that joint, you could stay at Paradise Villas and eat like kings and queens at Capricorns 3 times a day...

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/02/00 06:43 PM

Which is probably why they don't want to deal with timeshare anymore!!! We don't have to pay, we just exchanged for our resort in Florida. Can't wait to come down...counting the days! Maybe we'll see some of you in Fido's or one of those other bars I've read so much about on the message boards...have to try one of those "panty-ripper" drinks [Linked Image] Dawn

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/02/00 07:37 PM

From what my parents tell me..their stay at the BYC has not been pleasant. They are moving to Royal Palm Villas I believe very soon.

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/03/00 01:21 AM

Hi Kathy...Thanks for your input; by the way, what does the "Cap'n" by your name mean? Do you have a dive boat? Just curious...I've seen it next to several names and wondered about it. Were your folks staying at the BYC longterm, or thru a timeshare program? I know they have had some damage to repair after the storm, but it almost sounded from what you said that they were unhappy for other reasons. Can u elaborate? Dawn
Posted By: orionhunter

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/03/00 03:29 AM

Dawn---Glad you got things worked out with BYC--don't let them give you the runaround when there. Make sure they treat you right.I'm surmising that the deal you have is all-inclusive...is that right? That can be a very sweet deal if you are at the right resort. Hope you have a wonderful trip and watch out for those panty-rippers!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/03/00 04:19 AM

The BYC has had a l...o...n...g history of problems between management (various managements) and condo owners. Going back five years at least. It started as a condo, went timeshare, then tried to go back to hotel status, added a "meeting" center, started emphasizing timeshare again, and the story continues and continues and continues.

Anyone who has spent even a few weeks on Ambergris Caye would know this. Whether they would tell you this is another matter.

As an aside to the query about it being an all-inclusive: The BYC is not now and never has been an all-inclusive. There are no true all-inclusives on Ambergris Caye, and only two in all of Belize.

--Lan Sluder

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/03/00 05:00 AM

As "Cap'n" Sluder stated, BYC is NOT all-inclusive, but we don't have to pay for lodging since we traded our week in Florida for permission to stay there (Just an exchange fee, plus the maintenance fee at our home resort). I'm sure they'll get some $ out of us, somehow!! I'm just glad I have a bed to crash in!
P.S.I still want to know about all u "captains" out there!

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/03/00 07:12 AM

Dawn,
Did you ever see "Yellowbeard"? Just think of James Mason's character, and you've got a good idea what the Cap'n is for!
Posted By: Sandcrab

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/03/00 05:26 PM

Hi Dawnskers,

The "Cap'n" title has been given to a few people who assist Marty to administer the board. It simply means "administrator". Marty is the chief administrator.

Hope this answers your query.

**Jim

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/03/00 08:08 PM

Thanks, guys! Hope to see some of you on one of our dive trips, or out and about on the island...I'll be the one with the s___-eating grin on my face; so happy to be able to make our trip after all! [Linked Image]

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/03/00 08:11 PM

From what I understand it depends on what "side" you stay on at BYC...one side is given preference to the other side..as far as phone hook up etc. Don't quote me on that though.

As for the Cap'n thing...Marty gave me Cap'n status to give him a hand moderating the board when the hurricane hit. I don't really need the Cap'n status now..but I kinda like it. :-)

I'm living way up north in Alberta and really don't know a thing about Belize or the Islands. I've never been there, but do have an interest in SP where my parents live. I like to keep up on the information that is on this board, so when my parents email me..I know what they are talking about. I also hope to make friends on this board..so whenever I am rich enough to visit my folks..I can meet others in person that I have met on this board.

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/05/00 12:09 AM

Sounds like a good idea, Kathy...I sure have enjoyed the info I've found on these message boards. Wish I'd discovered them a long time ago! Would have avoided some mistakes, I'm sure! [Linked Image] Bet it's COLD up there in Alberta...will try to send some sunshine up your way while we're on our trip! Stay warm! And enjoy those "Cap'n" perks! Dawn

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/10/00 08:27 PM

dawnskers...

Damn COLD...-30 today for us country bumpkins. It's -27 in the city. Would appreciate all the sun you can send!!

Re: SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Help. please! - 12/11/00 09:46 AM

Gee, -30 and it's not even officially 'Winter' yet...that's why I moved to warmer climes, though it gets down in the low 40's here at night!

*NEWS FLASH*
The Midwest just got slammed with snow and cold...14" so far in Chicago, temps -30F wind chill -42 and they expect more real soon...
Pedranos, go kiss the beach, even if it's raining cats and dogs!!!

[This message has been edited by Daemyon (edited 12-12-2000).]
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board