AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas

Posted By: Obfuscate

Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/28/14 05:21 PM

Will be a family of four; would be happy with two doubles or four singles.

What would be our closest rental option to PV that may have 2 to 4 (depending on occupancy) and is it something I should have made reservation in advance?

Thanks for your comments!
Posted By: Hon

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/28/14 05:55 PM

The only place that I know of that rents kayaks up this way is Wayo's/Aqua Vista Suites. Kayaking in these waters is very wind and wave dependent so I, personally, wouldn't reserve in advance.

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/28/14 07:37 PM

Thanks for an info Hon. For my general knowledge: Is there a part of the island that is less windy and wave dependant for kayaking? Or is that statement for AC in general?

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/28/14 08:09 PM

You could paddle in the lagoon which is on the (usual) lee side however, you'd have to walk a few blocks with the kayaks in order to find a place to put in. I find it interesting paddling over there but I'm guessing most visitors would prefer the reef side, which is windward.

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/28/14 08:22 PM

Right, I should have written my question more specifically. So kayaking anywhere on the east side of AC is wind and water dependant, got it. Thanks!

I seem to remember a post (as I was snooping through the old ones) that commented on the Blue Tang having kayaks they might rent. But I can't seem to find it now. Guess I'll go straight to the horses mouth in a couple of weeks...
Posted By: Gridguy

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/29/14 10:29 AM

Try Lisaskayaking dot com. She is a little north, but seems to do rentals...
Posted By: tahunt

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/29/14 05:13 PM

You can also try walking next door to the Blue Tang Inn. They have a couple kayaks to rent to their guests. I have seldom seen them used. You can try renting from them.

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/29/14 05:33 PM

Thanks a bunch to you both. Lisa's Kayaking looks great - it's strange that google never found that when I searched...

tahunt - thanks for posting that. I was pretty sure that I had seen that comment before, but was going crazy when I couldn't find it again. The location would be great, I'll definately be checking!

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/29/14 07:01 PM

You can just email Alan or Fanny at the Blue Tang to inquire. The email address should be on the Blue Tang website. If not send me a private message and I can probably dig it up in my deleted emails.

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/30/14 11:14 AM

Just a heads up... I personally would not take a kayak past the end of a dock in town. WAY too much traffic.

my .02...

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/30/14 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gridguy
Just a heads up... I personally would not take a kayak past the end of a dock in town. WAY too much traffic.

my .02...

Gridguy, I respectfully disagree. My husband and I live on the north end of town. We have paddled as far north as Ak Bol, around to the lagoon through the cut, out to the reef and down south to Xanadu. The only 'traffic' we have had a (reasonably manageable) issue with was the Caye Caulker Water Taxi. Man, that thing churns up a huge wake! My advice would be to stay north of Amigo's del Mar and you won't have to worry about it. ...and, of course, if you are inexperienced kayakers, wear a PDF and take some time to practice tipping and re-entry in shallow water just in case you do encounter a problem.
Posted By: Phil

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/30/14 12:33 PM

You have to keep an eye out and watch out for boats and their heading but in a kayak you can easily change course and avoid anything quite quickly so long as you are paying attention.
Posted By: klcman

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/30/14 02:24 PM

and just remember the standard navigational mantra......bigger has the right of way, which really dovetails into Phil's comment. There is a reason for that.

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/30/14 03:00 PM

Great comments. Concern is always a good thing to have and paying attention is usually helpful. It is hard for me to imagine small boat traffic being that busy that it would feel like Frogger getting to the Reef.

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/30/14 03:15 PM

Obfuscate,

Check your PM's.

Re: Kayak rentals near Paradise Villas - 01/31/14 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hon
Originally Posted by Gridguy

my .02...

Gridguy, I respectfully disagree. My husband and I live on the north end of town. We have paddled as far north as Ak Bol, around to the lagoon through the cut, out to the reef and down south to Xanadu. The only 'traffic' we have had a (reasonably manageable) issue with was the Caye Caulker Water Taxi. Man, that thing churns up a huge wake! My advice would be to stay north of Amigo's del Mar and you won't have to worry about it. ...and, of course, if you are inexperienced kayakers, wear a PDF and take some time to practice tipping and re-entry in shallow water just in case you do encounter a problem.

Hon. I bow to your experience. I have very limited kayak skills which no doubt contributes to my conservative outlook. I just picture me, heading for the reef and it looks like a game of frogger... But your travels up and down the shore line sound great!
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board