AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ussoldierforhire Navigation Charts - 01/31/14 12:52 PM
Curious if anyone had a link to a good navigation/depth chart for the belize area?
Posted By: SimonB Re: Navigation Charts - 01/31/14 02:34 PM
There is no such thing. The paper navigation charts all have fine print showing that they are based on 1865 data. The closest you can get to accuracy are the regularly updated mobile charts for Navionincs and they are only a guide.

Plotter, cruising guide, cruising guide charts, caution and your eyes are the only safe way to navigate Belize waters. That or hire a local captain with lots of experience.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Navigation Charts - 01/31/14 10:35 PM
And make sure he is really a captain and is licensed.
Posted By: Dane Re: Navigation Charts - 02/01/14 06:51 PM
Working on a boat, passing a test so you can get a captains license, does not make you a navigator who is familiar with the coral countrywide.
Choose a navigator instead.
Posted By: Dane Re: Navigation Charts - 02/01/14 06:54 PM
There is more than one cruising guide, with nav. details drawn in person. They are the answer
Posted By: SimonB Re: Navigation Charts - 02/01/14 07:22 PM
There is more than one? Which is the other one?
Posted By: Dane Re: Navigation Charts - 02/02/14 07:03 PM
When I bought my boat it included two guides. One by Freyda the other was smaller with plastic binder.
It was called Belize Cruising Guide, earlier printing date.
Maybe that's why the Freyda book doesn't use that exact name.
I have seen a third that was given out by a charter company on board another boat.
I don't find them on Amazon so I guess out of print.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Navigation Charts - 02/02/14 08:55 PM
Unfortunately even the Rauscher guide and charts are now outdated by 7 years. Some waypoints need adjustment due to movement of channels and sandbars which is why you need to use all tools at your disposal.
Posted By: beck Re: Navigation Charts - 02/03/14 04:55 PM
I recommend Rauscher guide, even if outdated. I've used it several times to sail the coastline. The book/charts AND a good pair of sunglasses and a lot of attention got us there and home again....

I posted just to let everyone know the guide is available on Amazon used, as well as ebay. I think they've been republished although I doubt fully updated, but haven't seen them to know.
Posted By: SimonB Re: Navigation Charts - 02/03/14 05:07 PM
The third edition (most recent) is available directly from http://www.bluewaterweb.com/p-8839-cruising-guide-belize-mexico-caribbean-coast-3rd.aspx
Posted By: SimonB Re: Navigation Charts - 02/03/14 05:11 PM
Windmill Hill Books [rv.panda@verizon dot net] should get you direct to the publisher.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board