AmbergrisCaye.com Home

development at Caribbean Villas

Posted By: painterly

development at Caribbean Villas - 06/27/14 11:40 AM

Wondering how much development is going on at Caribbean Villas. Is all the wild land being taken? Will that part of the island be much more crowded now? It was always serene and quiet at that part of the beach. Would appreciate any information. Thanks.
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/27/14 01:51 PM

We enjoyed a day on the beach there on Sunday.....Had a nice grilled Lobster and a bottle of wine....Enjoyed watching the kids sail, the music play and the trees sway.....did not see much development....Looks like they're just cleaning up the grounds.....For the most part it looks the same......
Posted By: mawags

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/27/14 02:09 PM

Looked to me when we were there at the end of April that they were building some apartments or something in the back.
Posted By: mawags

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/27/14 03:39 PM

Over the last few and the next few months the new owners are adding 48 more hotel rooms. There will be 12 on each floor with an elevator in the middle. These rooms are in the traditional hotel style but priced at a very reasonable rate which will allow more people to visit Isla Bonita during the peak seasons. All rooms will have their own balconies and all will have a view of the Caribbean Sea. The scheduled opening date is november 1.

The Beach Bar is and has been extended and will become a full blown restaurant by the end of november. The good news for guests is that the restaurant and bar will be closed by 9.30pm so as not to disturb the traditional tranquility of the resort. The restaurant opens and will open at 7.15am for breakfast,and continue throughout the day.

All of the “old” caribbean villas units are presently being upgraded,as scheduling permits, and all these rooms will have new windows,new beds,upgraded bathrooms,kitchens and sitting rooms. All units will be repainted.

Overall CVH will be providing a minimum of a further 15 full time jobs to the local populace and with the builders and carpenters and general handymen earning good salaries which will be spent in the local market place. Incidentally all people being employed are paying their social security dues.

When this stage is finished the owners have yet to decide whether to develop anymore of the property . It is situated on one of the best beaches on Ambergris Caye,and one of its prime features is no sea wall which is ideal for children,swimmers and everyone else who like wandering into the sea.
Posted By: Short

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/28/14 05:48 AM

Sounds like a good business plan, upgraded rooms for a reasonable price!
Closing the restaurant at 9:30, is that last order, or guests out?
Posted By: MikeCaroleinKC

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/28/14 09:19 AM

New hotel, 48 rooms - 12 rooms each floors, that's 4 floors. I thought there was a height restriction on San Pedro?
Posted By: Inplub

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/28/14 12:01 PM

That went years ago.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/28/14 12:01 PM

That went out the window a long time ago.
Posted By: champion

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/28/14 12:22 PM

I do believe that the height restrictions are 4 stories now.
Posted By: GwenA

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/28/14 07:17 PM

I'm their next door neighbor. Nobody's bothered telling me. Great business plan, but not very neighborly. Can you imagine, quiet little bird sanctuary and beach jungle adding 100 people a day?
Posted By: klcman

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/28/14 08:19 PM

I'm sure it slipped Mr. L's mind........

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 11:08 AM

He's been going on an on lately in his Ambergris Daily, having just read The Sociopath Next Door, about one of his enemies. He doesn't realize he's now the Sociopath next door. One of the Narcissistic features of the Sociopath is lack of empathy! A good example of a lack of empathy is building a monolith in a community of villas. He could have considered building a couple of more villas to blend into the local architecture. But, no.....
Posted By: Gridguy

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 12:42 PM

Hmmmm... I really liked Caribbean villas the way they were but the new beach bar we saw was great fun too. We stayed at CV once (pre beach bar) and it was okay but we usually stay at Xanadu. At least there's still one buffer property between Xanadu and the party at CV...

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 12:43 PM

The Beach Bar has been there for a few years.
Posted By: Chris

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 02:35 PM

Gwen A, if you wanted Caribbean Villas to stay the same you should have bought it.
Posted By: Keller

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 03:24 PM

Is this place owned by one person or a group?

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 03:36 PM

Chris, you are one of the ones in cahoots! I don't care if it stays the same. Nobody cares about zoning to keep neighborhoods appropriate, or building hardware stores with tenements on the roof, so why not build a monolith in a bird sanctuary? The mentality of if you want something to be a certain way; buy it (meaning control it) is also sociopathic.

Posted By: iluvbelize

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 05:20 PM

Gwen A, I can understand you are not pleased with the owners' choice to develop their property the way they wish to as it will have a material impact on your neighborhood; it is a commercial development and has been for a very long time and it will continue to be in the foreseeable future; however, personal property is just that, personal property, and the owners' have a due right to develop it according to their wishes in accordance with the Town Board's approval. Throwing the term "sociopath" back and forth seems like an exercise in futility... it has kind of lost its clinical meaning in this regard LOL. It appears to me, from what limited info I have albeit, that the owners are well-planned and funded and qualified to improve and expand their operation on the land. I wish all tourism based businesses in San Pedro the very best in this economic climate.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 05:34 PM

I wasn't the one that started using that term. It was used in the Ambergris Daily, by the owner of CV, in two published articles this past week. As far as development, there is nothing wrong with it. It's whether it is appropriate, or not. There are many factors that determine appropriateness. There are commercial properties that are ugly sore thumbs, and there are commercial properties that harmonize with Nature, the community, and sensibilities. We all know it's a crap shoot on Ambergris Caye, which you get.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 05:45 PM

I read the AD ... You're being contradictory in your statements. What is appropriate is what is allowed by the Town Board and the town at large. Anything else is a matter of opinion... You don't like what they're doing. Noted. Chris is correct in stating that if you wish to develop your way, you buy some land and property and do it your way.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 06:19 PM

I'm not being contradictory. I'm also not interested in developing a property. I've already done that and I stated where. Why bring the Town Board into this? They do as they please, as well. The point is, this development will change the neighborhood and not for the better. It will provide a few jobs in the long run, but they could be provided by building villas like the existing ones. It's just more profitable to build a big box and fill it full of cubicles. There is a ton of outrage for developing Long Caye and that Azul Group. This is the same thing on a much smaller scale. Sorry you don't see it that way.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/29/14 06:31 PM

You are contradictory. I won't continue to argue that point, it is obvious on its face in your posts here.

Everyone has an opinion as to the outcome of just about anything. Businesses operate on profit; tourism benefits from profit... We'll have to agree to disagree otherwise. I know the owners/investors of CVH are responsible, community minded folks as far as business and tourism goes. They've been in SP a long time and have solid roots there and their commercial successes speak to that. Personalities aside, I hope you and CVH can end up being good neighbors in the long run.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 01:04 AM

Go for the last word, ILB. You won't identify yourself in your profile, like a lot of detractors here. Just go for it. We know who you are. I've been visiting longer than you. I stayed every year at CV for Christmas and many times during Tarpon season. I stayed there monthly while building my house for two years. I know all of the owners. I'm sure the Lala's are sad about this turn, but they started it in motion. It was a special place because it had a very special sensibility. Things change. But the new owner isn't known for his thoughtful development. What exactly are you defending. I think you are just trying to make me look contentious, but really, you have said nothing.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 01:08 AM

Gwen A. "Chris, you are one of the ones in cahoots!"

What an idiotic statement, I have no personal or financial interest in Caribbean Villas. Once in a blue moon I might visit for a snack and a drink. I was last at the bar there about 3 months ago for a friend's wedding reception. Sorry I didn't pop by to let you know I'd be having a couple of drinks there.

You're just another selfish NIMBY whose interests are purely personal in this matter. Furthermore, comparing this to the Lighthouse Reef controversy as a way to bolster your whining is just sad.

I repeat, you should have bought Caribbean Villas if you wanted it to be run your way.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 01:19 AM

GwenA, many here do know who I am. I don't think you do LOL. I lived in SP well over a decade before you set foot there. No need to get silly about things.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 01:26 AM

Chris, there is a difference between having financial involvement (which I never said you did), and who are your cronies. And ILB, you don't know when I set foot there. And this isn't whining. What is, is what is. I just hope the people that are planning to move to San Pedro, tomorrow, next week, or in the Fall, see what they don't suspect, will happen here when they build their nice little house in a nice little neighborhood.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 01:33 AM

zzzzzzzzzz GwenA your whining is tiring. Adjust or move back to a Gated Community in Ordinanceville, USA.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 01:43 AM

"Cronies." The World According To Gwen A. One now has to get her to approve of one's friends. Maybe I should apply in writing to her.

And, yes, you ARE whining, Gwen A, just own it.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 01:52 AM

I think you have done an effective job of identifying yourselves by how you have approached this argument. Enjoy your world.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 02:59 AM

Oh by the way, it should be interesting as to who responded to this supposed whining. You folks that plan to move to Ambergris Caye, please make sure you take note of this thread. We bought our lot in 2005 from two nice ladies from the Garden District in New Orleans, on a suggestion from Wil Lala. He owned Caribbean Villas, at the time. We stayed there since 1995 or 6. So he was a friend, but has nothing to do with Pedro. These things unfold. A property next door to you gets sold, it gets sold again. This is life. But Chris and "I love Belize", responding to this thread, over and over, and nobody else, tells you something. There are a bunch of so called developers, you will not know who they are. You quietly build your little retirement, or whatever house. The Tabony's who own the lot next door to us are nasty as Hell. We asked them to not dump junk or what they called fill on their lot. They played the same game as Chris (Pelican Properties). They said buy the lot, then you can determine what happens to the lot next door to you. They also said, "If we build on that lot you will hate what you have next door to you!" They are from New Orleans.
This is the mentality, either short term, or long term of your neighbors, or developers, on Ambergris Caye. This isn't whining.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 04:58 AM

Well done, Gwen, you have blanket accused every neighbor and developer on Ambergris Caye of being somehow nefarious. You did it in the second to last sentence of your rant. You, on the other hand, are perfect.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 11:43 AM

GwenA has bashed both of her neighbors - calling out your other neighbors as being 'nasty as Hell' is very telling about you Gwen. That is not how to make friends and influence people on a small Caribbean island. Wow. I'm not a developer in SP BTW. I'm a Realtor in Texas. Since Gwen is handing out unsolicited advice to potential buyers of SP real estate, I might add that the best due diligence one might perform before purchasing is to be sure GwenA is not a proximate neighbor... sounds like that would be a living Hell of a situation. Here's hoping she learns to live in harmony with others some day.
Posted By: t42

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 12:58 PM

Sadly here you do take the risk of what your neighbours will build. You could luck out or you get a commercial eyesore of any number of businesses that could be annoying.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 06:37 PM

I know a guy who threatens to put in a pig farm next to anyone who annoys him! LOL

No matter which side of this mud slinging one is on, one must admit that the lack of a master plan allows this kind of strife! There was a master plan proposed many years ago and short sighted (selfish?) politicians will not process it. Maybe when all of their vacant property is sold they will do something. Maybe not. Change is debatable depends on which way the wind is blowing (money flowing?)

So, in the absence of any zoning laws anything goes! The way the height limit was changed was when Oasis built an addition on the back which exceeded the 3 story law. Instead of making them comply the rule was simply changed to 4 stories. Go figure?
Posted By: Inplub

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 06/30/14 11:15 PM

The building in front of us is suppose to be a single story, that is what it said in the planning. In fact it has turned out to be 3 story high. BTW the property is only a foot or two from the boundary on three sides which is suppose to be five feet. The front is suppose to be 10 feet, but in fact it on the line and the steps going into the property are in the road. GO FIGURE THAT ONE.

The only reason for LAWS here are so people can pay to go round them.
Posted By: t42

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 07/02/14 01:02 PM

Arguing with two realtors now I understand lol

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 07/02/14 10:24 PM

So has the development of CV taken over the whole area of littoral forest, where the People Perch was? or is there still an area left for the birds to thrive?
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 07/02/14 10:33 PM

We visited again this last Sunday....With a little less wine in my tummy I took a good look around.....It appears there are some buildings started close to the beach as well as where the old parking was....However, unless they are hiding other buildings in the mangrove it looks as if the bird area is the same....Hope that helps.....

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 07/02/14 11:19 PM

oh, that's good news! thank you
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 07/03/14 02:22 PM

The people perch has been gone for years. And there is still a lot of greenery/jungle.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 07/16/14 02:34 AM

Just for fun I looked at this thread again today. So Bump! Only two people got it. This is how developers behave San Pedro. They are wonderful if they are trying to sell you something. They are vile if you don't like their tactics. I really enjoyed baiting them so you could see. They didn't even get that I was doing that. Cheers vampires!

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 07/16/14 11:03 AM

GwenA, you're certifiably off the charts. Just to prove I'm not an unreasonable guy, here's the link to your house for sale. http://www.mlsambergriscaye.com/listing-sea-view-home-1021.html ...maybe someone will buy it because they saw this link here.

Some thoughts, though: What a good neighbor you were to build a THREE story residential house on a small 50ft lot. Not many people on the island build 3 stories unless it's a condo, apartment or hotel building. Come to think of it not many people in the USA build residential single family homes with 3 stories. Did you consult with your neighbors before you built a 3 story behemoth next to THEIR little 50ft lots?

Your home has been for sale for a few years now. It didn't sell before the changes began at Caribbean Villas were even thought about. It's obviously overpriced. You've committed the cardinal sin of overbuilding/overdeveloping on a small lot.

The message here is, you're a nasty hypocrite for bawling about your neighbor's comparatively lightweight development when your own property has already been developed to the limit.

FYI, I've been out of real estate for 11 months now. But I still know a bit.
Posted By: R.P. McMurphy

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 07/17/14 04:06 AM

I love reading a thread when people get into a pissing contest with Chris... GwenA you will lose.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 07/19/14 10:21 PM

Nope! That's just the point. There is no getting into a pissing contest with Chris, he's just that vile. He's an idiot because he has his facts wong. He's been trying to promote himself more recently than 11 months on Facebook as some kind of high end real estate consierge to meet all of your needs, sorta like Sothebys. Nobody was interested.
With regard to my house the lot is 50 by 100. With regard to a three story house...in hurricane territory, where I come from, it's common. Chris doesn't know enough, it's really a two story house with surge protection. The bottom floor is open. That's what all of the houses look like on the Outer Banks. Get real. There hasn't been a big storm in a while. Don't forget Mitch, and Keith. Our house isn't overbuilt at all. Developers have been enjoying under building. All of you beach level owners, enjoy your complacency.

Re: development at Caribbean Villas - 07/20/14 12:22 PM

Anyway, Gwen, good luck with your 1/2 million asking price. You should be able to get about $290,000US for it now. But hurry up, those view-blocking buildings behind you are going up real fast.

Whoops, too late.

© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board