AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Meryl36 Now that I'm here...... - 08/29/14 10:46 AM
Hi everyone
We'll we made it to San Pedro yesterday afternoon & so far no rain! Now that I'm here though I'm very surprised at how quiet it is. We are the only people staying at coral bay villas & I'm told that no one else will be arriving the whole week we're here. We went to dinner last night & we were also the only couple in the restaurant. Now I'm wondering if any of the tours & such I was thinking of taking will be closed or just won't go cause they don't have enough people. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to activities that will be open & have a few other people to talk to? I love my husband but it would be nice to find other travelers to hang out with a little. We wanted to do a snorkeling trip & maybe the cave tubbing. Any recommendations for those? We'll be on the island till next Sunday
Thanks
Meryl
Posted By: tahunt Re: Now that I'm here...... - 08/29/14 11:02 AM
Meryl,

Snorkeling is great there. You won't believe everything there is to see at Hol Chan. Definitely take the opportunity to do it. If you are up for a day trip, take the water taxi over to Caye Caulker for lunch one day. Caye Caulker's motto is "Go Slow" so it definitely will be laid back. It is definitely worth the trip over for lunch and to spend a few hours checking out the island. Most likely the other tour guides can give you better ideas whether the tours you spoke of will cancel. Those trips are back on the mainland and I have never heard of them cancelling. Its a much slower pace on the island than the mainland. You might want to think about renting a golf cart and exploring the island. There are restaurants north of the bridge, but its definitely not walking distance. They are currently building a road that direction so it should be a much smoother trip.

Still jealous of your vacation !!

Tim
Posted By: tahunt Re: Now that I'm here...... - 08/29/14 11:23 AM
By the way.... its currently raining in Dallas and we are having showers until noon today and scattered storms all day tomorrow. You left that worrisome rain in Dallas. LOL
Posted By: Meryl36 Re: Now that I'm here...... - 08/29/14 11:36 AM
Hi Tim,
Ya to the rain in Dallas & not here in San Pedro. Although it is cloudy & the locals say it'll be a pretty rainy weekend so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the suggestions for snorkeling. I'll look into them & hubby is going to look into a golf cart rental later today for some exploring up north. It does seem like a very relaxing place so if nothing else I'll get a lot of reading & napping done grin
Hope you get a lot of rain!!! I have a lake house at cedar creek that could really use some!
Meryl
Posted By: tahunt Re: Now that I'm here...... - 08/29/14 12:04 PM
I would suggest using Island Adventures for the golf cart. I have used others but Island Adventures seems to have better carts. I have broke down in my cart all over the island using carts from other companies. Never an issue with theirs and they seem to get better gas mileage. They are located directly across from where you picked up your bags if you flew on Tropic Air.

Here is their link.... http://www.islandgolfcarts.com/

They will deliver it if you dont want to pick it up.
Posted By: Meryl36 Re: Now that I'm here...... - 08/29/14 12:06 PM
Coco
Thanks for the link'. I'll check them out
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Now that I'm here...... - 08/29/14 01:22 PM
We're about to go into September, when most tourist businesses shut down for holidays, repairs and general "break time" - you definitely arrived at the tail end of the season.
Check around now to see what restaurants will still be open next week..... I know there were some that posted about this topic elsewhere on the board. RoadKill Bar was one of them, and I think Blue Water Grill stays open as well.
Suggest Wine De Vine for their wine-tasting evening. Can't remember if it is on Thursday or Friday.
Check out Pedro's Inn trivia nights, look at Taco Girl and San Pedro Scoop blogs for local events. Some of the sports bars should have gatherings on weekends for whatever events are up and happening.
There is a wonderful day-trip offered by both Lady Leslie and SEAduced tour companies - catamaran sail to Hol Chan, Shark-Ray Alley lunch at Caye Caulker ..... great way to spend a day with new friends and be on the sea in style.
Posted By: Meryl36 Re: Now that I'm here...... - 08/30/14 01:40 PM
Hi Diane
Thanks for the suggestion/recommendation about SEAduced. I had wanted to take a tour of hol chan but wasn't sure which company to use. Maybe we'll do that tomorrow
I'll also check out the blogs to find places to eat.
We were thinking about renting a golf cart & heading up north. Any suggestions for things to do up there?
Thanks
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Now that I'm here...... - 08/30/14 02:22 PM
Drive north? Well, Lazy Croc for lunch is a real treat - only 2 miles north of the bridge and the best pulled pork and ribs EVER. Also try to get the fried okra. I don't even like okra (usually, and avoid fried food in general) but their stuff is amazing.

The recent seagrass-wash-up makes swimming from any of the piers north a bit difficult today, so if you are REALLY up for an adventure, get a good set of directions and find the Great Belizean Estates Beach on the back side. Should be clear and lovely today.

Posted By: BeBelize Re: Now that I'm here...... - 08/31/14 01:53 AM
Highly recommend the Lady Leslie for snorkeling and trip to Caye Caulker. Have done it twice, and they are the best!
Posted By: Maya House Re: Now that I'm here...... - 09/01/14 02:55 AM
We can't more highly recommend George Eiley, and a day of sailing on the Rum Punch II. He'll pick you up at your dock, stop at both Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. Head over to Caye Caulker, then whatever stop you'd like on the back. And if that doesn't sound good, you can plan your own trip. George will take you wherever you want to go. You'll not meet a finer human being. Truly the best!
http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2012/02/a-gorgeous-day-sailing-on-the-rum-punch-2.html

http://www.sanpedroscoop.com/2012/04/sailing-old-school-on-san-pedros-rum-punch-ii.html

http://www.sanpedrosun.com/old/02-244.html
Posted By: BelizeBoundSP Re: Now that I'm here...... - 09/02/14 03:29 AM
Legends has Jam night on Tuesday! Starts at 7! You should totally check it out and have a good burger!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board