AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty San Pedro Mayor Requests Additional Police - 09/17/14 11:39 AM

Following Spike in Crime on the Island

There have been seven murders so far this year in San Pedro, the destination which accounts for a significant portion of the nation's tourism revenue. The year isn't done yet. In 2013, our unofficial stats are showing three murders for the whole year. Speculation is that the hike in violent crime is a result of an increase in drug movement on the island, which offers direct and easy access to Mexico. But whatever the reason, it is a major concern to Mayor of San Pedro Daniel Guerrero. He told News Five that crime is growing in direct proportion to the mainlanders moving out to the island.�

Daniel Guerrero, Mayor, San Pedro Town

"Unfortunately it's happening. We can't cover it up, and I'm one of the guys that I'm trying to stay on top with the Police, and I'm trying to do as much as I can as a Mayor and as a Council. And I communicate a lot with the Superintendent Mr. Castellanos and Superintendent Jemott, and we're trying to do the best we can. This has been happening all over the country…all over for many years, but thanks to Facebook everything has been socialized, everybody's like 'what's happening, what's happening?' But I think it is something to take serious and definitely if you look at how the crime is happening, it's a lot of the people coming in from the mainland. It's not islanders doing it, people coming in from the mainland are causing all this mischief, and you cannot expect to have the Police all over. Police right now I have to big them up, they're doing an excellent job. They're really, really working. I don't care if people really criticize them, because I know they're working. They just received some motorcycles as a donation from the Social Security. They have two or three pickups…not all of them working good but at least they're working. The thing is it's hard to be on all crime scenes and guess that a crime is going to happen there."

Reporter

"Everybody I think is aware that a lot of the violent crime on San Pedro has to do with drugs. Is there any thought to either having a unit stationed here or having them come out more regularly to clean up the island?"

Daniel Guerrero

"Well yes. You see it's hard to talk when it comes to the GSU because you don't want to give the hint that they are coming. So sometimes you just have to keep it quiet. But the GSU is very effective. I was very shocked to hear that the ex-Prime Minister was trying to dismantle the GSU. To me that was totally nuts and I don't agree with that. I think this country really needs the GSU. And I don't think they need to…the GSU is there to have people's respect. This country needs the GSU. To us it works very, very well when they come."

Mayor Guerrero told News Five that he has requested and will be receiving additional Police officers on the island.

Channel 5

My thoughts may not be worth much but.. Getting rid of the GSU is a bad move. They are needed regardless of what some may think of them they at least spark a certain fear when they are here and they clean up the place. The local police cant do it all themselves the GSU is needed here more than they are.
Why does the Mayor not believe island people are involved in this drug business? Four Espat boys killed! They were as island as one can get.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board