AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ScubaLdy Chickens - 11/16/14 03:24 PM
I was misinformed and expected to receive a couple of hens and a rooster today. So, I bought chicken wire and enclosed the screen house. I understand that I can get baby chicks from Belize City anytime but if anyone has a few grown chickens they would like to part with I would love to provide them with a new home. I won't eat them --- I promise.
Posted By: elbert Re: Chickens - 11/16/14 10:58 PM
My neighbor lets hers have the run of the yard and they seem to not wander far. They seem to have a turf and stick to it with out fencing them in. The coop is a different story.They need a coop but can come and go when they choose.
Posted By: Inplub Re: Chickens - 11/17/14 10:31 AM
There are a few by us you can have all them PLEASE take them when no one is looking. LOL

The rooster is the PROBLEM the chickens are fine.

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Chickens - 11/17/14 01:47 PM
John - Aren't Roosters always the problem? Especially the 6' tall ones. he he he
Posted By: lil'red Re: Chickens - 11/17/14 02:56 PM
I asked my neighbour about his chickens and he can get you lovely girls for 35$ each. And roosters if you want.
Posted By: Phil Re: Chickens - 11/17/14 03:39 PM
I have a friend who ran a Chicken over in Teakettle. Got charged $20 by the owner who came running out their house. Moral of the story? They're cheaper on the Mainland.
Posted By: klcman Re: Chickens - 11/17/14 03:41 PM
Roosters are chickens laugh
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Chickens - 11/17/14 05:08 PM
Seriously folks - if I checked into a B & B that had a rooster, I'd be demanding a refund and be out of there in very short order. Nothing about crowing roosters signals relaxation and peaceful sunrises.
Fine and dandy on acreage, but in a residential area? ....... not a nice thing to impose on others.
Then there there is the smell.

My two cents - please buy eggs from the country folk who need the income, and let your neighbors live in fragrant peace and quiet.

Posted By: elbert Re: Chickens - 11/17/14 05:27 PM
Different strokes, the crowing rooster in the morning is music, makes me smile and starts my day.
And OMG Diane are you having those Residential Area hallucinations again.
Posted By: Inplub Re: Chickens - 11/17/14 06:11 PM
Not at 2am, 3am, 4am 5am, It is OK at 6am that's when I get up. LOL
Posted By: Inplub Re: Chickens - 11/17/14 06:13 PM
Harriette come and live with us for a week and it may put you off having chickens. LOL
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Chickens - 11/18/14 01:08 AM
You guys are so funny. I don't need a roster - I've had enough $^)& in my life. he he he
People seem to think they need a rooster to have eggs - think again.
Diane - I want chickens as much for their scratching and eating bugs as I do for eggs. I don't want a hatchery - only 4 or 5 hens. Rhode Island Reds are my favorite.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Chickens - 11/18/14 01:54 PM
Thanks for taking this in good humour Harriette. Glad for your neighbors and guests that there's no rooster!

A company in Belmopan sells an organic compound that eliminates the nasty odor from the soil where the chickens poop. We used it at Liberty Children's Home for both chickens and pigs - it worked well for the chickens and reasonably well for the pigs.

Elbert - just FYI, I grew up in the country, about 3/4 mile from a big chicken-egg place, across from cow pastures, and adjacent to onion fields (hence my illusion that Mata Grande is a residential area). When we were downwind of the chicken coops the stench made it next to impossible to go outside (hence my resistance to the idea of chickens as neighbors).

Hariette I'll be over for an omlette one of these days.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Chickens - 11/19/14 01:15 AM
Diane - I see you go by - eyes straight ahead and in a hurry. I hope that one of these days you will stop by and sit awhile.
I do have a sick sense of humor - it helps not only with living here but being on this message board. lol
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Chickens - 11/19/14 02:44 PM
Hi Harriette -
I admit to eyes straight ahead ... doing my best to avoid potholes and yep, generally in a hurry because I tend to be headed home with frozen food.
Not meaning to be unfriendly, just happy to be headed back to the homestead. San Pedro is a cute town, but it wears me out and by the time I am driving north all I want is to get home and get my feet up (after putting said frozen food in the refer).
Enjoy the day!
Diane
Posted By: champion Re: Chickens - 11/19/14 03:35 PM
That's normal. Harriette on the other hand is retired. Lolling around all day, doing nothing important. crazy grin
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Chickens - 11/20/14 01:00 AM
NOTHING IMPORTANT? Everything I do is important - including cutting off a slice of my little toe on the machete. They got me to Pino's Clinica and I was treated very promptly and kindly by two doctors who came in on a holiday.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board