AmbergrisCaye.com Home

SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum

Posted By: Marty

SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/28/15 11:27 AM

Click photos for more pictures!

On Friday, March 27, The San Pedro Town Council staff, Deputy Mayor Gary Greif and Councilors Ruben Gonzalez, Severo Guerrero and Hector "Tito" Alamilla, hit the beach bright and early to help with the clean up of the sargassum that has been invading our shores for almost a year now.

Even some citizens and passers by joined in and helped in raking or forking the sargassum into the wheelbarrows. Thank guys! Great Job!

Cleaning the already rotten sargassum was quite a challenge since it is smelly and heavy. After we had finished cleaning we noticed that there was more sargassum washing ashore; however, we managed a lot by removing the stagnant and rotten sargassum.

The area that the staff and councilors helped clean was from Holiday Hotel to Cholo's Bar.

Kudos to our beach cleaning staff for their daily battle with the sargassum clean up.

We have been battling the sargassum invasion for almost a year now. Many resorts and residents are cleaning up the beaches daily to avoid the rotting of the sargassum sea weed. We created this flyer to help in spreading awareness of the sargassum seaweed situation. Although it has become a problem, all we can do is bare with it and look at the positive side; which is to use it as land fill or even as a fertilizer for our gardens.

We would like to encourage every one to help us with this battle. Unfortunately it is not something we can control but we can definitely give a helping hand in cleaning up the sargassum; especially the stagnant and already rotten sargassum. Have a great weekend!

Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/28/15 12:11 PM

Congrats. Now please send a truck to take away some of the piles we have up our way. PLEASE.

Posted By: Nobody You Know

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/28/15 12:32 PM

I've been off the island a week and still get flashes of the smell...

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/28/15 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nobody You Know

Next time don't try to roll it and smoke it. Tee hee.
Posted By: NJG

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/28/15 10:00 PM

That stuff has had my hubby and I sick.
Asthma , allergies.
Hope it subsides soon.
Posted By: Decompression

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/29/15 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by NJG
That stuff has had my hubby and I sick.
Asthma , allergies.
Hope it subsides soon.

Jog near/through it every morning. Smelly? Yup. Made me ill? Never.

DC
Posted By: seaglass

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/29/15 04:56 AM

If every business owner on the beachside ( really all businesses in town too- would take the initiative of responsibility & do their part, keeping there immediate area in front of their buildings cleaned up, it just makes sense, instead of always depending on others.
Posted By: BZ Bound

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/29/15 02:17 PM

Is sargassum different than sea grass? Because I was under the impression that while the sea grass is not pretty, it was necessary for the ecosystem and illegal to remove without a permit.

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/29/15 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by seaglass
If every business owner on the beachside ( really all businesses in town too- would take the initiative of responsibility & do their part, keeping there immediate area in front of their buildings cleaned up, it just makes sense, instead of always depending on others.

Easier said than done .... We try, but it gets crazy!!
Posted By: Chuck V

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/29/15 05:03 PM

Is sargassum different than sea grass? Because I was under the impression that while the sea grass is not pretty, it was necessary for the ecosystem and illegal to remove without a permit.

Totally different. Sea grass is a plant that grows on the bottom in shallow water where it can still get some sunlight. It provides a home and protection to many species of fish and other sea life.

Sargassum is a freefloating seaweed that is never attached to the earth. It provides.....well, not much.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/29/15 05:34 PM

Manatee Grass - http://lh5.ggpht.com/Y9Kx3XA5I7O8FC...t5y-KfvQkuc9xwa8R1FqeUKmBPpzRNKif3=s1200
Sea Grass - http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/plants/seagrass.jpg
Sargassum - http://ocean.si.edu/sites/default/files/photos/DriftingBall2small.jpg

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/29/15 05:38 PM

Actually provides a lot, the world would be a different place without it. It's concerning the amount that's out there right now especially if it were a sign of the Sargasso Sea breaking up due to changes in wind and current patterns. http://www.sargassoalliance.org/case-for-protection
Posted By: Nobody You Know

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/29/15 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Diane Campbell
Originally Posted by Nobody You Know

Next time don't try to roll it and smoke it. Tee hee.

If that was possible the beaches would be totally clear of it...

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/30/15 12:41 AM

Come on up. We had over an acre of it about 6-12 inches deep. All of Jamaica couldn't make a dent in our haul.
Posted By: Latt

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/31/15 01:55 AM

This is quite concerning to me regarding my planned trip for May 2016. We live on the Louisiana, USA, Gulf Coast and deal with Sargassum yearly. When rotting it stinks to high heaven! It's almost unbearable to be near. How has this grass affected snorkeling at Hol Chan, Shark Ray Alley, Mexico Rocks, etc?

This could be a major deal breaker for our trip!

Re: SPTC Staff Helps Cleanup Sargassum - 03/31/15 03:15 AM

It hasn't affected them at all.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board