AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Edd Sardines, anyone? - 02/19/01 04:13 AM
I've been communicating via email with a young man who will be fishing on AC in April. He's staying at JER. I've heard there is a place nearby that stocks sardines for bait. Anybody got any additional information about where he can get some bait? Thanks.
Posted By: margarita Re: Sardines, anyone? - 02/20/01 05:26 PM
We catch our sardines with a casting net, sometimes right up by JER. Maybe someone at the resort knows a local fisheman who could get the fresh sardines.
Belize it!
Posted By: Ralph Re: Sardines, anyone? - 02/22/01 06:14 AM
Just responding to move this up to the top of the list...interested in seeing a reply...
Posted By: Mary and Scott Re: Sardines, anyone? - 02/23/01 02:55 AM
We stayed at the Seven Seas last September and when we asked Louis (one of the guys in the office at SS's who fishes all the time), he directed us to a guy who lives on the 2nd floor of a house (I think it was blue)across the street from the grocery store (the one directly across from the "statue",not sure what street it's on (locals could help here). We bought, if memory serves, a bag of six GIANT sardines for $1.00/US. We almost hated to use them for bait...they would have been good eating! Have a great time.
Posted By: willyg Re: Sardines, anyone? - 02/23/01 03:27 AM
Just returned from AC. The commercial fisherman at the Amigo's de Mare pier use cast nets to catch sardines in the morning and often return with live bait about 4 in the afternoon. I'm sure they would give or sell you some and a 5 gallon pail would not be hard to find.

Conch is excellent bait and should be easy to get. I know Lino's meat market in town has frozen conch for sale. Bill
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board