AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: casa bella North Road - 05/29/15 12:19 PM
Anyone know how the north road is coming along. How far is the hard core ? I am most curious about the area behind Matachica .
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 05/29/15 07:12 PM
I checked it yesterday. A lot of work has been done on the road to the North and South of the bad section behind Mata Chica but nothing to that spot. It's still driving through the lagoons edge and high tide is impassible, but wow the place looks different to the North and South of it. it's going to be grand but not for quite a while.
Posted By: casa bella Re: North Road - 05/30/15 10:57 AM
Thank you Elbert for the information . I'm sending some friends and family there soon and want to have a plan for them .
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 05/30/15 04:24 PM
If they are staying North of Mata a golf cart isn't a good idea at least this year.
Posted By: WWIII Re: North Road - 06/07/15 11:12 PM
I took a golf cart ride back in April while it was dry and had not rained for about a month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwc8nb5ZZc
Posted By: San Pedro Breeze Radio Re: North Road - 06/07/15 11:57 PM
That's really a cool video WWIII.

I like the way you sped it up.

Danny Vega
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: North Road - 06/08/15 02:14 AM
What do you mean speeded up? That's how people drive up here now. LOL
Posted By: San Pedro Breeze Radio Re: North Road - 06/08/15 04:32 AM
So water bogs are the towns idea of speed bumps? LOL

Danny Vega
Posted By: WWIII Re: North Road - 06/08/15 04:45 AM
for a real laugh watch this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUA9L_WEXCI
Posted By: WWIII Re: North Road - 06/08/15 04:49 AM
I think that our drive time was about 50 minutes after cutting out all of the stops and chats along the way and who in their right mind wants to see a 50 minute video. Still not a bad time to go that far north, and we drove conservatively.
Posted By: WWIII Re: North Road - 06/08/15 04:53 AM
To answer the question about Mata Chica, on the first video I slowed it back down around the 2:30 mark for our travel thru that rough part. Again, this was mid April with no rain for several weeks before.
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 06/08/15 12:45 PM
The bulldozers are changing the road appearance daily. I't going to be nice when it's finished but a terrible mess until then. The recent rain and rain to come later this week is going to make it a 'NoGolfCartZone'(NGCZ) :-)
Posted By: Decompression Re: North Road - 06/08/15 02:41 PM
That's where my trusty steed(bicycle) comes in handy. Cut over just after Rojo's..ride the beach, then back to the main road at Xaman Ek. But with the new road..ugh.

DC
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 06/09/15 12:27 AM
The ball game is going to change when the cement road gets done. It's apparent on the finished strip that runs from the bridge to Belizean Shores. Radical change in how we all do business plus new business and new perspectives on realestate values...but lets not kid ourselves about how long it's going to be before the road is finished.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: North Road - 06/09/15 06:44 PM
We had our 1st accident in front of my house yesterday. Unfortunately my dog got hurt but he is healing. It could have been a child - or slow walking me. The is a curve at the Maya house and vehicles race around that blind corner, unable to stop in time. This guy laid down a long skid mark and dumped his motorcycle.
I'm afraid there will be many more to come. I guess people who have never before had a place to 'open her up' are getting their thrills.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: North Road - 06/09/15 07:25 PM
You found your dog? Please confirm --thanks!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: North Road - 06/09/15 07:43 PM
Yes, Diane. He came sneaking in just at dark last night - tail between his legs. No skin on his nose and a few other scrapes. No broken bones. Thanks for caring
Posted By: ragman Re: North Road - 06/10/15 10:01 PM
Harriette, I think it was about 2 years ago, before the road was paved, that I went to the police over a guy racing by on a red motorcycle. They knew immediately who it was and told me that they had talked to him previously and would take care of it. For a long time it stopped, I wonder if it was the same person.

I was quite concerned that someone was going to be very seriously injured. A serious accident causes problems for the injured of course but also for Island's economic health. There has already been several serious accidents with injury but thank God no one has been killed yet in the stretch of road you are talking about. As far as I know no tourist has been involved so maybe there hasn't been as much publicity, but that does not make it any better. There has been injury; lost wages and permanent hardship with the cases I know of.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: North Road - 06/11/15 01:14 AM
Jim - Of course they 'know'. This is a small island and the community north of the bridge is even smaller. The guy involved in the accident has slowed down (at least on this stretch of the road.) However, the other red motor cycle is going all out and he has a young boy on the back of his bike.
Posted By: Marty Re: North Road - 06/11/15 10:57 AM

San Pedro North Road Update

Work on the roads on North, Ambergris Caye has reached the Mata Grande Area/Intersection to Grand Belizean Estates. The workers are preparing the roads by cleaning the area and adding what mall material where needed to have a strong foundation for when the cement casting begins.

Click photos for more pictures!

Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 06/13/15 03:17 PM
Progress is a little ahead of its self with the garbage collection. We've never had garbage service before the road and don't have now but now that we have a road I got a hand delivered bill from the Town Board for the year of 2015 at 75. per month totaling $525.00.
We currently have a private service that we pay 100. per month to have the garbage picked up by boat from the end of the dock twice a week.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: North Road - 06/13/15 03:55 PM
I hope they gave you a water bill too!!!
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 06/13/15 11:40 PM
That's one I would pay for the hope.
Posted By: Marty Re: North Road - 06/19/15 05:22 PM

Work continues on North Ambergris Caye Road
Work on the second phase of the North Ambergris Caye road commenced about a month ago and it is to comprise of four miles of cemented road. The project was expected to last three months, depending on the weather. In the first weeks, the road has been widened, extended, filled with layers of hardcore material and compacted. The work is being done by Romel Burgess Construction and aims at improving the tourism fabric on the island. This second phase comes with an estimated cost of $4 million and is being financed by the Government of Belize (GOB) in coordination with the San Pedro Town Council (SPTC). According to Deputy Mayor, Gary Greif, the project will not just boost tourism but also add more traffic on the north part of the island, benefiting the north business community on a whole. "The first direct benefit of this infrastructure development will be for the golf cart rentals and the people that sell fuel. As the road becomes more accessible, more people will drive up north, thus increasing the consumption of fuel." He also touched on the impact it will have on tourism. "It will also definitely boost the economy of the island as there will be better accessibility to the northern hotels. Visitors and residents alike will see the benefits. If a guest wants to come to downtown San Pedro they will not have to worry about a bumpy ride to town because the road will be in excellent condition. In turn, town businesses get a boost as well," said Greif. Even though the project is slated for just seven miles, the Central Government has plans to extend the pavement up to Basil Jones area where lots have been subdivided and given to residents of San Pedro.

Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: North Road - 06/20/15 04:23 AM
Maybe they can plan ahead and incorporate cement speed bumps in the paving?????
Posted By: champion Re: North Road - 06/20/15 01:17 PM
With all due respect, penalize the masses for the actions of a few. For me, a nice flat smooth road is how it should be. Put law inforcers along the way and ticket the hell out of the speeders. It creates employment and gives the majority a nice smooth road. Most golf carts don't go faster than 15 TO 20 MPH. Ticket the crap outta the rest. Make the ticket COSTLY.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: North Road - 06/21/15 01:42 AM
Champ - I would totally agree - however - the police do not even have ticket books now. The Mayor says you can't ticket unless a speed limit is posted. I suggested we have school kids makes some signs and he said 'no way'.
Posted By: Shyboy Re: North Road - 06/21/15 01:16 PM
Harriette.. Try this on the Mayor.. The forum members will pay for the signs if he will put them up... Have him give you the layout of the sign and the material and I'll personally see that it gets done. Not kidding...

At least it gives you a way to see what his next excuse is.
Posted By: Nobody You Know Re: North Road - 06/21/15 03:47 PM
They have radar guns but no underlying law allowing their use. You may post all the signs you wish but without the means of enforcement they are useless...
Posted By: Decompression Re: North Road - 06/21/15 03:56 PM
Radar guns... no laws in place to use.... no speed limit signs... no tickets books.

Gosh I love this island! ;-)

DC
Posted By: Shyboy Re: North Road - 06/21/15 05:56 PM
Don't give up that quick.. It's a small island: everybody knows everybody.. Put up the signs, use a radar gun and flag down heavy duty speeders. Check out licenses and registration... If everything is in order; ask for reduced speed in the future.. All of this can be done while the island is trying to move forward with laws to cover it. Yes, there will be people who don't care because there are no laws... ok; talk to employer if driving on the job. It's a lot better than just saying nothing can be done.
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 06/23/15 05:47 PM
I just noticed a Radar gun in the hand of a motorcycle cop parked under a shade tree close to the bridge. I stopped and asked him what the speed limit was he said,' 15 miles per hour". I laughed, he laughed and I said my grandmother can walk 15 miles an hour, He laughed again.
The road will gives us all some entertainment for a while yet.
Posted By: Nick Barton Re: North Road - 06/23/15 07:18 PM
Those hermit crabs can move pretty fast across the road too!
Posted By: Marty Re: North Road - 07/09/15 10:50 AM

UPDATE ON PROGRESS OF THE PAVING OF NORTH ROAD

Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 07/10/15 07:02 PM
Coming from the North I drove down the road to where it stops about 200 yards short of Journeys End. It isn't cement yet but dump truck and bulldozer traffic have it built up and packed down so its drive-able....unless it rains.
These guys seem to work on Sundays and after dark so I would expect to be able to drive to work by next week.
Posted By: Heidi A Re: North Road - 08/02/15 04:43 PM
Any update on the North Road progress available?
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 08/02/15 05:57 PM
I'm using it everyday up to Mexico Rocks Area (Canary Cove). The traffic on Sundays is amazing, lots of locals in golf carts.
It's lime and packed down hard by the dump trucks and bulldozers but no signs of the cement construction yet. They are still dozing and filling. Any more North than Mexico Rocks is extreme dust and loose sand, difficult on the motorcycle.
Posted By: Heidi A Re: North Road - 08/04/15 12:48 AM
Thanks for the update!
Posted By: PDS Re: North Road - 08/05/15 05:29 PM
In rush hour (5pm) 10 mile North to the Bridge: 50 minutes with a golf cart.
(8th mile to 10th on the beach road)

Posted By: BZ Bound Re: North Road - 08/05/15 11:20 PM
Rush hour? Really? Haha.
Posted By: Marty Re: North Road - 08/06/15 11:01 AM

UPDATE ON NORTH ROAD: August 5, 2015

The clearing/preparing of the road has now reached by Las Terrazas Resort.

Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 08/06/15 12:11 PM
I ran into the Mayor on the road yesterday. He stopped and talked a bit, said that it was going all the way up to Basil Jones but cement would be delayed a little to let the new roadbed settle.
Posted By: PDS Re: North Road - 08/06/15 02:18 PM
BZ Bound; Rush Hour= Hundreds of workers finish their job 4-5pm and go back to the town by bicycles . : )
Posted By: Chica Blanca Re: North Road - 08/06/15 02:50 PM
What is the time frame for it to go to Basil Jones? And did he say where it would end?

Curious because now that the road is improving we are seeing up to 10 golf carts every Sunday driving all the way to Robles. I just wish the road would be behind the entirety of Basil Jones and Robles to get the driving off the beach. All the traffic is impacting the last undeveloped beach areas where the turtles still nest within the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve. Fisheries has already had to relocate 5 nests so far this season due to traffic on the beach. Not to mention at Robles where everyone BBQ's for the day is one of the most used nesting beaches for the turtles. Visitors burn on the ground, leave garbage and take out undersized conch for their days ceviche. Marking off the nests only attracts poachers and trying to block them from traffic, the barriers just get moved, warning signs stolen.
Moral of the story, please do not drive on the beach. Respect the beach. Any beach,especially up to Robles for fun during turtle nesting season May-Nov. Hire a tour guide with a boat if you want to enjoy the Bacalar Chico Marine Reserve. Bring a free standing BBQ, clean up your garbage. Better yet, take an extra garbage bag and fill it with existing garbage and take it to town.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 08/06/15 07:41 PM
:)He didn't discuss the time frame with me and could we believe one anyway.
I think the road will help protect the area in a way of getting traffic off the beach. The road has done wonders for the beach problems here.
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 08/10/15 01:17 PM
The road crew has a habitat near Canary Cove where the workers are having meals. An amazing amount of garbage and especially those Styrofoam lunch containers are being thrown in the mangrove lagoon.
The Mayor is serious about cleaning up the island and I suspect the hammer will fall on these guys soon. Lunch merchants are transporting lunches via golf-cart up the new road to construction workers who seem to have no concept of litter and drop the Styrofoam lunch containers everywhere. It's sad to see a hundred Styrofoam containers floating in what was once beautiful undisturbed mangrove lagoons.
Posted By: Heidi A Re: North Road - 09/02/15 10:54 PM
I know it's only been a little over a month since since we last asked, but has there been any progress on the North Road?
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 09/02/15 11:53 PM
Lots of trucks and tractors hauling fill, grading and dozing. It's becoming apparent a lot of utility poles and guide wires are going to be in the way. I suspect a huge job of moving them is next on the list before cement can begin. Rumor has it the cement pouring will start on the South part where it left off at Phase one and proceed North.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: North Road - 09/03/15 12:16 AM
Seems there has been a lot of "widening" in the road north of Canary Cove this past week? I wonder if they are going to put aggregate down/grade north of CC to Blue Reef? Seems it was just scraped/graded the first go around. That whole stretch will be really bad really quick once the rains start.
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 09/10/15 05:32 PM
[Linked Image]
This will become a nice lake when they are finished. Just a little South of the old Basel Jones Air Strip.
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 09/10/15 05:36 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pebbles Re: North Road - 09/15/15 04:05 PM
Is this hole being dug in the area behind La Beliza (aka Blue Reef)? This area is 4-5 miles south of the Basil Jones Airport.
Posted By: RobertJ Re: North Road - 09/15/15 04:56 PM
"This will become a nice lake when they are finished. Just a little South of the old Basel Jones Air Strip."

Yeah....sure.

BTW, wouldn't it be great if the same amount of money and effort were expended on, oh, I dunno, .....maybe 15 different projects that actually improve life for the rest of the island .... those of us that don't live across the bridge .... you know, those folks that have substantive needs of infrastructural improvements........just a bizarre thought.

A lake????? Really???
Posted By: ragman Re: North Road - 09/15/15 06:46 PM
Here is another bizarre thought. The people who live north of the bridge pay taxes and until recently didn't have a useable road if it rained. A few years ago what was there couldn't by any stretch of the imagination even been called a road.

They also still lack municipal water, sewage and street lights. The contamination levels in the lagoon have already been documented and will eventually effect all who live on the Island, if not corrected.

These projects have their pro and cons but they all exist now south of the bridge for the most part. What is your gripe?
Posted By: champion Re: North Road - 09/15/15 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure that this is the result of mining for the base of the road north which is sorely needed. As are may things on the island.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: North Road - 09/15/15 07:08 PM
Fill for roads comes from somewhere. Now you know where the fill for this road came from. Simple.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: North Road - 09/15/15 07:25 PM
Its not all about where people live, it is about where they work too. I'm pretty sure the workers on their bikes are having an easier time of getting to and from the jobs in the hinterlands now that there is a road.
The beach is no longer being churned up by bikes and motorcycles which is nice for people and mother nature.
Fewer boats being used as cars means less congestion and contamination of the sea and more space for recreational enjoyment in safety and peace.
Not sure what I think about that big hole, but Katie sums up the situation well in her comment.
Posted By: bywarren Re: North Road - 09/23/15 11:09 AM
Makes one question priorities. Maybe Mr. Barrow on his next visit should take a drive thru DFC and the other areas people are living in where there lacks sufficient infrastructure to even provide a safe healthy existence.
The roads in these areas, along with too many other lacking infrastructure projects, would seem a higher priority than millions spent on an airport.
I guess development and tourism growth is inevitable, but providing for the quality of life, especially the health safety, for those already living on AC should be a priority.
I am thankful, although surprised, that there has not been a health epidemic in San Pedro when I see the conditions some of the residents live in.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: North Road - 09/23/15 03:35 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...09/belize-taps-local-lawyer-austria.html

Grand Bayman and Caye Bank
Posted By: champion Re: North Road - 09/23/15 06:05 PM
What ever came of the signed agreement with the Mexican Government to build a road down from Xcalak?
Posted By: acwanabe Re: North Road - 09/23/15 07:27 PM
Is the area in red the old Basil Jones airstrip? Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: jwagner Re: North Road - 09/24/15 12:33 PM
I don't understand what the prime minister means by international airport on the north end of AC. Does this mean that jets will fly directly from the us into this new airport or does it just mean that tropic and maya will fly into there? Can somebody please get clarification on this? Does anyone also have any timetable on when the paved road might be completed up to basil jones? Is this something that will take several years or are we talking a year or less?

Thank you
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 09/24/15 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by acwanabe
Is the area in red the old Basil Jones airstrip? Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Yes, it's high ground and rock.
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 09/26/15 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by champion
What ever came of the signed agreement with the Mexican Government to build a road down from Xcalak?

Did you see an agreement? I don't think there was any agreement. If you haven't been to the top of the island in recent years you should go. A road connecting this island and Mexico is a fantasy. A rumor fueled by scoundrels hoping to stimulate realestate sales.
at 18°12'43.43"N the Mexicans have cut a channel big enough for a cruseship to pass.
Posted By: Short Re: North Road - 09/26/15 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by elbert
Originally Posted by champion

Did you see an agreement? I don't think there was any agreement. If you haven't been to the top of the island in recent years you should go. A road connecting this island and Mexico is a fantasy. A rumor fueled by scoundrels hoping to stimulate realestate sales.
at 18°12'43.43"N the Mexicans have cut a channel big enough for a cruseship to pass.

I also remembered such an agreement, so I googled the subject and here is an article from 2009:

Originally Posted by The Guardian
Island of San Pedro to be connected to Mexico

Belmopan, 17 August 2009. The Embassy of Mexico informs that on 15 August, the Mayor of the municipality of Othon P. Blanco (Chetumal), Mr. Andres Ruiz-Morcillo, and Minister of Tourism, Civil Aviaci�n and Culture, Hon. Manuel Heredia, signed a Letter of Intent in order to promote the construction of a road between San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, and Xcalak (within the Municipality of Othon P. Blanco), Mexico. The objective of the Letter of Intent is to boost the tourism industry in the Chetumal Bay and the north of Belize, including Ambergris Caye. In particular, Mexico and Belize will seek to connect San Pedro with Xcalak (Mexico) and Mahahual with a road from where an already existing access will make possible the connection with Chetumal or Tulum and Cancun.

The document was signed before the undersecretary of Tourism of the State of Quintana Roo, Mr. Armando Alvarez-Gonzalez, the Director of the Port Authority of Quintana Roo, Mr. Javier Zetina-Gonzalez and the Ambassador of Mexico, H.E. Luis Manuel Lopez-Moreno.

Likewise, the Mayor of Othon P. Planco announced the project of a water taxi, which will link Chetumal and Xcalak with Belize. The future water taxi would depart from the "Muelle Fiscal" -the Customs Dock Facility in Chetumal - with a stop at Sarteneja and San Pedro and arrival at Xcalak. The run will be operated by the Belizean company San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi. This service will allow visitors from Chetumal to travel to San Pedro and Xcalak and from there to visit Mahahual and Chinchorro (Mexico). It will also allow Belizeans to travel easily from San Pedro to Chetumal. The new water taxi will benefit the local population on both sides of the border, it will boost the tourism industry and it will promote the economic development of the border area of Mexico and Belize.

In Chetumal, Mexican officials boarded the boat for the familiarization trip, which showed the route of the upcoming water taxi service. They travelled to Sarteneja, where Hon. Heredia hosted them and the signing of the Letter of Intent took place.

http://www.guardian.bz/all-politics/584-island-of-san-pedro-to-be-connected-to-mexico
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 09/26/15 07:35 AM
Thanks for that.
I've seen the road from Xcalak going North, it's the quality of the crushed limestone we have behind Mata Grande now but it goes North to Mahahual. I took a boat up the back of the island to the cut the Mayans where suppose to have dug. I passed this traditional route to Xcalac continuing into Mexico and discovered a huge channel had been cut separating Xcalac from Ambergris. Two bridges would now have to be built, one being very large and tall. It seems like an impractical project. Possibly the letter of intent above was before this channel was created, if the intention was real and not only a gesture.
Posted By: denjy Re: North Road - 09/26/15 02:01 PM
I was curious about the channel Elbert described so here it is. The yellow line is the boundary cut between Bacalar and Mexico. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Short Re: North Road - 09/26/15 02:50 PM
Yes, it's called Canal de Zaragoza and construction started in 1901 during the administration of Jos� Mar�a de la Vega as governor of the then Federal Territory of Quintana Roo, with the intention of making maritime access to the Bay of Chetumal easier and faster and entirely through Mexican territorial waters, because natural bay access is part of the territorial waters of Belize, at that time a British colony:
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_de_Zaragoza
Posted By: SimonB Re: North Road - 09/26/15 05:25 PM
Apparently it didn't work very well as the Mexican navy still comes down the backside of AC and goes in and out of the San Pedro cut.
Posted By: PDS Re: North Road - 09/26/15 07:19 PM
I have been in the channel Elbert mentioned 3 months ago. The north side of the channel is a Mexican Navy Base with max. 20 marines. By mistake i was there, i thought it is immigration.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: North Road - 10/02/15 01:45 AM
North of Canary Cove right now is impassable... less perhaps you are in a boat.

Hopefully the contract to fill/grade this commences soon... problem being the road north of Canary Cove to Blue Reef WAS graded, but not filled. This left the sides of the road higher than the road itself. Not a problem in the dry season. But they basically created a riverbed. I'd imagine it's gone down a lee bit in the last few days, but earlier in the week, before Costa Maya, there was a hundred yards of water where the "road" used to be. Let hope for some sun, some fill and workers getting back at it.
Posted By: Short Re: North Road - 10/02/15 06:06 AM
The road up to Canary Cove (Kitty's back then) was filled by the Island Construction, ordered and paid for by the Middle Island Neighborhoodwatch, and approved by the SPTC under Mayor Mayor Elsa Paz, back in 2004. North of that the cart path was still swamp-level. We have also noticed that the road is sinking. About 7 weeks ago, parts were raised +2 feet, after compacting less than a foot, but it went down to the same level as before, still above water now though (with the rain and the full moon that's good!). Keep in mind that this is a floating road on top of a swamp. The bedrock is from a few feet to about 18 feet at X-Tan Ha, although the ground is higher and more solid there. It will take some time to settle IMHO.
Short

Clarification: We have taken depths west of the new road about half way that were 2-3 feet. Close by there, where the development is depth is 6-8 feet, at X-Tan Ha, where the resort is, it was 18 feet.
Posted By: SFJeff Re: North Road - 10/02/15 01:14 PM
sounds like we're gonna need a lot more fill...
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: North Road - 10/17/15 10:52 AM
With the current very wet storm you could merge this thread with the giant water slide.
Posted By: Nobody You Know Re: North Road - 10/17/15 06:37 PM
You could but one is an eyesore and the other a road...
Posted By: champion Re: North Road - 10/18/15 09:43 PM
Is road work continuing with all the rain there?
Posted By: Decompression Re: North Road - 10/18/15 10:10 PM
They were as of Thursday. But doubt it since then. Maybe at the quarry?

DC
Posted By: Hon Re: North Road - 10/18/15 10:29 PM
The road is causing an enormous problem with drainage. There are several areas under water that have never been flooded before.
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 10/19/15 12:45 AM
We had a problem like that, the road trapping water on this side that normally would have run into the lagoon. The company building the road installed a culvert and it drained out quickly. Lets not forget they are still building it and not judge the work yet. I think they are doing a great job. They are putting culverts at trouble spots as soon as the problem is apparent. Our neighborhood has suffered some failed attempts at a road in the past but these guys seem to be professional.
Posted By: Hunter45 Re: North Road - 11/16/15 05:46 AM
Any updates on the road North?
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 11/16/15 01:17 PM
I just did it on my bike this morning. North of Canary Cove is very wet and some folks are resorting to the old beach trails. South of Canary cove is doable. I haven't seen any signs of construction since before the election but bad weather may be more of a factor than political promises.
Posted By: littlestarfish Re: North Road - 11/18/15 05:40 PM
cool video!
Posted By: Marty Re: North Road - 12/06/15 11:48 AM
A lil hardcore material for the north. (by Las Terrazas Resort)

[Linked Image]

Posted By: casa bella Re: North Road - 12/06/15 02:13 PM
Has there been any progress north of Canary Cove ? Last month when we tried to drive to the old Costa Maya it was horrible . I don't know how any large trucks can get thru that mess.
Posted By: Casa Pokey Jan Re: North Road - 12/06/15 08:35 PM
As of last Tuesday afternoon it was still a big muddy mess north of Canary Cove. Looked like a truck had gotten stuck. The water is deep at Meridian but you can drive out to the beach and then go through Costa Maya's back yard. It is not pretty, but doable. Work has been done north of Costa Maya so it is no longer deep water but the equipment destroyed the good smooth road from the big curve to X'Tan Ha. It is rough from there to LaBeliza. But not flooded.
Posted By: casa bella Re: North Road - 12/12/15 12:31 AM
Thank you for the info Jan . I'm hoping that I wont get stuck in the mud .
Posted By: champion Re: North Road - 12/26/15 01:15 PM
What is the progress now, I'm down in 2 weeks. How far north can you get with carts?
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 12/26/15 01:23 PM
Still a problem more North than Canary Cove. People are returning to beach route.
I don't see any construction on the 2nd phase and am beginning to wonder if that wasn't pre-election campaign promises.
Posted By: Pokey Re: North Road - 12/26/15 01:42 PM
I sure hope you are wrong. They totally destroyed the original road between La Beliza and Sapphire by bulldozing it and leaving it to become a mud bog.
Posted By: Marty Re: North Road - 02/21/16 11:10 AM

Special patrol North of the island looking out for speeding drivers.

Posted By: Casa Pokey Jan Re: North Road - 02/21/16 01:20 PM
Anyone know what the speed limit is?
Posted By: SimonB Re: North Road - 02/21/16 02:17 PM
10MPH in town, 15MPH out of town.
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 02/21/16 06:23 PM
:)There are some signs up that say 5 and one half MPH. Renegade speed bumps and fake signs impede traffic flow.
Slow Children Present, when there are no children or schools near, fake sleeping policeman and obstacles hanging over the road bed are everywhere along the road, mostly indicating residents are annoyed.
The Town Board will soon have to regulate and limit the absurdity. Some golf carts come to a complete stop to get over the more ridiculous. The worst is the double speed bump placed not for safety but to allow their sales people time to catch you by running from the side of the road and presenting you with a coupon from their business.

Posted By: Casa Pokey Jan Re: North Road - 02/21/16 07:08 PM
And a sign on Laguna in town that says 15 MPH
Posted By: Casa Pokey Jan Re: North Road - 03/17/16 05:35 PM
There is hard road as far north as Sapphire Beach Resort now.
Posted By: Marty Re: North Road - 10/22/16 11:57 AM

The section from Las Terrazas to formerly Journey's End Resort getting major fill due to the heavy rains that made this section almost impassable.

Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: North Road - 10/22/16 05:09 PM
The intention is greatly appreciated ...... but the fill isn't working out as well as on might wish. Current situation is mushy slurry mixed with boulders you cannot see. Less likely to get flooded out but dangerous for axels, backs and necks.
Posted By: elbert Re: North Road - 10/22/16 07:59 PM
The original process involved packing it down with heavy machinery. This attempt to fix it wasn't the real road company and it's just dumped, not packed.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board