AmbergrisCaye.com Home

A solution may be in the offing....

Posted By: RobertJ

A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/08/15 02:44 PM

Quintana Roo: No More Sargasso Sea

Quintana Roo has tried out the PVC kelp barrier and it works. The barrier apparently stops the kelp from reaching shore and has no effect at all on turtles. Now, they have moved ahead to Playa Del Carmen and hope to have all 220 kilometers of PVC kelp barrier in place by the end of September. From then on, the kelp will be picked up by offshore ships designed specifically for that purpose. Of course, Yucatan is watching, as is the rest of the world. A PVC pipe boom is a simple and inexpensive fix for one of the most irritating inconveniences the sea has to offer and it would be wonderful to know that it is being properly recycled before reaching the coast. And of course, tourists and residents alike will be glad to be able to enjoy those beautiful beaches again.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/08/15 02:54 PM

Do you have photos and other details?

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/08/15 03:42 PM

Nope....
Stay tuned. (Meanwhile, a word from our sponsors....:)
Posted By: Decompression

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/08/15 05:13 PM

Wouldn't it hinder boat traffic?

DC

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 02:10 PM

Well, I can't provide answers to both of your questions, but I'm sitting here in the States and have limited access to facts that should be available to those who live there.

Get to it and get back to me.
Posted By: ron

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 03:03 PM

Playa del Carman is not exactly close to San Pedro and is also in Mexico not Belize. Information here doesn't travel so well. You probably get better info there.

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 03:33 PM

There are, presumably, folks (Marty?) who have access to official channels....
....those channels could involve discussions resulting in mutually beneficial plans, such as, oh, let's say,.......sargasso control for Belize and Mexico?
Sooooo..... nobody's talking to Mexico?

Why do I get the feeling that you ex-pat residents are too busy lounging and could care less about the sargasso problem? (Let the natives handle it, as long as I get my Mojito on time)

You guys are THERE.....no one is closer to the problem than you ....nonetheless, all I've seen on this post is reasons why "it can't work".
Posted By: SimonB

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 03:54 PM

Smoke some bad Sargasso this morning did you?

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 04:05 PM

An expected reply.

Obviously, no one cares.

Back to your Mojitos......

Posted By: cristinakj

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 05:48 PM

Pretty much everything I've read about Belizeans has indicated they are good, friendly people.

It's one of the major factors that have drawn us to exploring it. There are other factors, of course, but this was a huge one. As someone with a child with autism, it was important to us that he could be someplace kind...where he wouldn't be targeted and bullied. Likewise for myself (which I won't go into detail about).

Some expats do care. I really do care. Our whole family does, even if we've never set foot in Belize or anywhere else. We care about culture and authenticity and nature and natural resources and most of all, we care about people.

It's a little disheartening to see people get angry or respond with blistering comments when, really, some of us are just looking to either help or get information. To be honest, one of the main reasons we have not even considered the northern areas of BZ is because we aren't really interested in being in an 'expat' community...it'd be like leaving someplace we don't want to be, just to go to another place that's exactly the same.

I hope at least someone out there knows or can understand my posts/comments are truly just trying to be helpful and I am absolutely open to correction and information...that's how we learn.

But categorizing everyone as ex pats lounging around or lazy people who just want to live in paradise... it's kind of hurtful.

Maybe some people will read this and roll their eyes. That's okay. It doesn't take away from the sincerity with which I write it.

Best to all.

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 05:52 PM

Point well taken....
I was reacting to the seemingly indifferent attitudes that I read.
I respect your position, and applaud you for your values.

(P.S.: We're Pennsylvanians, too...)
Posted By: Decompression

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 06:30 PM

Your "dig" on ex pats living here being lazy, and only worried how long till our drink arrives is both ignorant and unfounded. Ex Pats on this island give so much of their time and money..For ALL kinds of town projects/clean ups.
Have you ever even spent any time in Belize??

DC

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 06:46 PM

Yeah, I have ..... for more than a few years ..... and will be back in February.

My first reaction to your post is, "Methinks ye protest too much"

(Oh, upon further investigation, you're one of those "North of The Bridge" -ites.....)

Got it. (Why go to Miami when you can fly to Miami?) Your empathy for the natives is clarified.
Posted By: SimonB

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 06:51 PM

Post an ignorant post and expect an ignorant response in return...

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/09/15 07:06 PM

Well, the "Ignorant Post" was a notification of a possible solution to the sargasso problem.
Posted By: Shyboy

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/10/15 12:07 AM

Yep... Those " North of the Bridge" types are real bad types... Just the other day the water taxi made me sit in the back because I was "one of those". I'm thinking of leading a March " down south". Diane; how about joining me? We can do it in February when Robert is here.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/10/15 04:01 AM

I have to think of SNL and (was it Dan Akroid?) who said "Jane (Robert) you ignorant slut you! OH - come on Robert - laugh. I live north of the bridge and love it. I don't know any of my neighbors who "hang out" at the bar. I don't drink alcohol nor smoke anything and know a lot of others like me. Maybe you stay at one of the tourist destinations and that's what you see.
I read a lot about solutions here on the message board.
I do travel off island at least once a year and count on this message board to stay current.
Many of we former type A personalities have settled into the Belizean way of 'go slow'- I don't think you have got it yet. just saying . . .

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/10/15 06:43 PM

Fine.
Posted By: Maya House

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/10/15 09:51 PM

Sargassum is a natural occurrence. Why in the world would we get all excited/bent out of shape and waste time and energy trying to 'control' a natural occurrence? Also, it's an important/specialized environment for some marine plants and animals, many that are found nowhere else. If we try to 'control' it, like we've tried to control so many other naturally occurring events on planet earth, we'll just continue to wipe out more species. How about if we try to live with nature for a change, rather than trying to control it. It's not really worth getting so worked up about.
Posted By: Shyboy

Re: A solution may be in the offing.... - 09/10/15 11:17 PM

The answer to "why" is one word.... Tourism. Mankind has been controlling "natural" or trying to for many years.. Polio, Measles etc. I live in the Los Angeles area and we have the "LA River". It is not a river but it is a huge concrete series of flood control channels that divert floodwater to the ocean. During heavy rains and storms it does an amazing job. Once in awhile our efforts fail as in New Orleans.Holland does a great job with dikes as does Venice.

We are presently spending mucho labor raking it up and using it for landfill. It is a real threat to tourism threat the entire region. I always felt that collecting it before it hit shore was a clever idea.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board