AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: bigmommachris more questions - 03/25/01 10:16 PM
thanks to all for the advice. to mary and scott-we live in ski country outside of buffalo, ny-that's why so much snow. we're staying at paradise villas, arriving 4/4. any suggestions for a place close by for breakfast before the am dive boats leave? also would like to go someplace very special for dinner at least one night-any ideas? My friend and i also don't know what to do the days the guys go to the blue hole-manatee trip, snorkel trip, or ruins like lamanai? any feedbaack would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Posted By: Kruman Re: more questions - 03/26/01 01:25 AM
Hi-
When I am there, a special night for me is the water taxi to Mata Chica. (The restaurant is called Mambo.) It's pricey, but I always have a fantastic meal there. You can dress up or down there. I always dress up. . .You must make a point to say hello to the owners. A wonderful couple. Very animated! Check out their website (don't know it off hand, but there can't be more than one Mata Chica in the world. . .).
Capricorn, also up north, is another great place to eat. I will admit that I have only been there for lunches, but everything that has ever come to our table has been extreamily good. (Try the chonch cervechi. . .you'll have to share it with a friend or two). Those are two of my favorites. . .Reservations are the best way to ensure a meal! Special nights, those are my first choices. You will love your visit.

J.K.
Posted By: Kruman Re: more questions - 03/26/01 01:28 AM
Forgot to mention, I am from the Ithaca area, will this snow ever end? I just got back from AC a few days ago. . .lovely to feel the heat on my body! I'm so tired of sweaters.
JK
Posted By: Mary and Scott Re: more questions - 03/26/01 02:48 AM
MommaChris and Kruman..you guys hang in there. We here in Kentucky are sending some warmer weather your way.We just planted our "cold crop" veggies in the garden last weekend (although we had to cover them the last few nights). And Kruman,at least you have a tan after just getting back! I am jealous. Chris...we would agree with Kruman about Capricorn and Mambo, although we did not eat at either(but will this fall!), they seem to be the ones most spoken about when you ask about the "best". There are so many good restaurants in AC, you won't have a problem. Don't forget the smaller places or the street vendors either.Have a great time!
Posted By: Mary and Scott Re: more questions - 03/26/01 03:10 AM
Mommachris...forgot to mention Estel's by the Sea for breakfast, or Rubies(but go early!) Not sure about tours, as we just went to veg,sun,read,eat and drink those Belikins. My favorite activities were sitting by the pool with a good book, swimming in the ocean, or browsing the shops in town in the late afternoon before dinner. We heard that the Lamani(?spelling) tour was great, but tiring as it lasted all day. Others on the board will have more information about what to see and what to do. Perhaps a trip to the Belize Zoo? Or, once you arrive, you will find all kinds of info on tours. Maybe take the water taxi to the north end of the island and have lunch at Sweet Basil's or just scout around to see what's there?
Posted By: Kruman Re: more questions - 03/26/01 04:48 AM
Hi to Mary and Scott!-
You may be jealous about my tan. . .and I dare say, it's a killer one! Tans are great, they make my hair look blonder (I'm a very dirty blond), and my teeth look whiter! But I am jealous about you getting to plant your cold weather crops already!! I was just contemplating with my brother this afternoon about what I will be planting, and when. We are still a month away from planting much of anything. . .Even the lettuce. But I am planning a monster garden! YIPPEE!!
What? We're on the Ambergris Caye message board?? I thought it was the "whine about the weather" chat room! Sorry!
Anyway, you are right about the smaller restaurants. . .Mamma. . .listen, some great secrets: On Wednesdays you can go to Mickey's place and get a burrito. A little tidbit - Mickey is Ramon's wife - Ramon of "Ramon's Village." (I'm actually only 90% sure that statement is true, can anyone confirm it?)We had dinner with Ramon one night last May, I think that's what he said. . .ANYWAY, this is not your average burrito! I promise, yeah, I like a decent burrito once in a while. . .are you imagining loads of refried beans falling out all over. This is way out of that league. No, I am not talking about even MORE refried beans falling all over the place. . .I'm not even sure there are many beans at all. . .But they are fantastic, and with the salsa and sour cream. . .a definate must. (Only on Wednesdays). Also, the popular bakery (pronounced "pop-oo-lar" bakery) has VERY good garlic bread and bread pudding. Also the croissants -spelling?- are really good! We walked there every afternoon and got them for the next morning to have with our coffee. Oh, are you staying near town? I don't remember at the moment what you said about that. . .the villas?? Anyway, you will have a great time wandering around and discovering different places. Definately ask around! Everyone is very happy to let you know whatever they can to help! Just like on the message board. . .you will find the same friendliness and enthusiasm when you are on the island! Take advantage of it and explore!

[This message has been edited by Kruman (edited 03-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kruman (edited 03-25-2001).]
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board