AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Looking for summer rental near SMU

Posted By: Happy Go Lucky

Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 02:01 AM

Hi,
I'm thinking about working at St. Matthew's Univ for the summer, but I'm not having much luck finding a place to rent. Any ideas or suggestions? I need 2 bdrms, furnished, close to SMU. Nothing fancy, but clean and safe--my children will be coming for a 8 wk visit. I'd appreciate any suggestions of moderately priced places that don't require a 6 mnth lease.
Thanks!
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 04:12 AM

The Smu area is very expensive, I do have some people over there that I know, but what do you think about lower Greenville... Let me know and I'll Check, Rick
Posted By: Dallas Dave

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 04:25 AM

Rick you do need a vacation. There is no lower Greenville on AC.

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 04:36 AM

Thanks, at least you tried! I meant St. Matthew's U on the island. I probably need a local person or someone who has connections on AC. Thanks anyway!
Posted By: Suew

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 04:51 AM

St. Matthew's has a housing coordinator that puts together tours for students and/or faculty about 1-2 weeks prior to each semester. At that time, you are brought to see various housing options and can discuss rates, ameneties, and misc. issues directly with the owners and/or reps of the different properties. Generally, the faculty choose somewhat nicer accommodations at somewhat higher prices. Many of the owners do not make advance arrangements as they do not frequently know too far in advance if their current tenants are staying or moving on until the last minute. Also, some private home owners who live on-site prefer to meet their tenants in person before making a decision. If you come at least one week in advance you should be fine with housing in a 10-minute walking radias of the campus.

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 04:57 AM

That sounds sensible, but I won't be able to get there until 2 days before the semester begins! My classes here end May 3rd, and SMU begins on May 7. I want to teach at St. Matthew's, but I have to have a place to live before I accept the job. I'm open for suggestions!
Posted By: ALLaShe

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 05:14 AM

Happy Go Lucky:
E-mail me at [email protected] I know a
local that rents to college students and
might be able to help you.

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 05:52 AM

Hey you all-- I'm so stupid... I thought you were talkin about SMU here in Dallas... LOL....Anyway I'll have a Belikin on that!!!!LOL only 6 days left.. Rick

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 05:58 AM

Hey Dave--
Thanks,,, Yes I do very much need the island... Been working 80-90 hrs a week.. Brain dead... Thanks for the reply!!!! See you soon.. Hey are Libby and family coming to the BBQ??? Rick
Posted By: Karen Pasquariello

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 11:10 AM

I have good friends who have a house in the area you are looking for. Her name is Liz and email is [email protected] I don't know if she has a place available for just the summer, but you could write and ask her. Just tell her that Karen Pasquariello responded to your message on the board.

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 07:19 PM

No Libby and James are working 14 hrs. a day running Mango's. They close only on wednesday. It's a big job starting your own restaurant from scratch. I guess you know that. See ya

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 10:36 PM

Have you communicated with Tim Jeffers? He is the housing coordinator at [email protected] He will offer a reduced rate at the Banana Beach resort until you find a place to live. So, you could actually go down with only 2 days before classes if you were comfortable making such a move in that fashion. It's surprising how many do!!

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/09/01 10:47 PM

Thanks Sue,
I've talked to Tim, and the reduced prices are still pretty high. He gave me a lead on a couple of places, and I'm also going to follow up on the leads I get here. If you think of anything else, let me know.
Posted By: just me

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/10/01 05:39 AM

well you might want to look in to the hummingbird, my husband lives there and he is leaving in a few weeks. The apt.is very nice,3 bedrooms it's 1200.00 US a month, you have to pay for utilities and H2O. Well I have the number if you want it.

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/10/01 05:52 AM

Iguana Gardens houses many students. They prefer more than two months but will concider your needs. $795.00US for a two bedroom two bath US style apt. Fully furnished, hot water, and AC. Contact [email protected]

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/10/01 10:18 PM

Hummingbird is really very nice. With your kids coming it would be comfortable and spacious. They are a bit higher than Iguana, but larger and more nicely furnished, in my opinion. I leave for San Pedro tomorrow and will let you know if i hear of anything else. The Alijua Building may have something, tho they are in town--farther from SMU. They also have a decent building on the SMU side of town (large, yellow multi-family), but I don't have my info on that right now. All my phone numbers, files, info, etc etc are packed! Will be in touch. Good luck!

Re: Looking for summer rental near SMU - 04/11/01 12:12 AM

Thanks to everyone for the help and hints--I'm following up on all of them. I appreciate your input!
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board